Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Films
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #31
madworld

Default Re: After Earth (Gary Whitta & Will Smith) Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Whitta View Post
This looks killer. The father son dynamic is very appealing too. Looking forward to it.
madworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:17 PM   #32
MacG

This new trailer looks awful. The dialogue is atrocious, Will's speech pattern is annoying and, frankly, I think it's a mistake to set any sci-fi film 1,000 years in the future. The technology human's will be using -- assuming "humans" still even exist in a form we would know & recognize -- is so beyond anything our current brains can even comprehend. Yet all the tech on display here seems within reach within the next few decades.

(Let alone the wing-suit Jaden uses, which is sooooo 21st century.)

And before anyone attacks me for jumping all over Gary's success, let me state that I have no doubt his work was completely mangled by Shyamalan.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:12 PM   #33
FoxHound

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG View Post
This new trailer looks awful. The dialogue is atrocious, Will's speech pattern is annoying and, frankly, I think it's a mistake to set any sci-fi film 1,000 years in the future. The technology human's will be using -- assuming "humans" still even exist in a form we would know & recognize -- is so beyond anything our current brains can even comprehend. Yet all the tech on display here seems within reach within the next few decades.
My sci-fi adventure is set in the year 2897, BUT I have a degree in physics/math from a prestigious university . I've gone out of my way to make the world feel authentic and techno-realistic.
FoxHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #34
Signal30

Hell, we pro'lly can't even imagine what the tech will be like in fifty years. If we last that long. Thing is, you have to keep it graspable so the audience knows what's going on.

My YouTube channel.
Signal30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:37 PM   #35
FoxHound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal30 View Post
Hell, we pro'lly can't even imagine what the tech will be like in fifty years. If we last that long. Thing is, you have to keep it graspable so the audience knows what's going on.
There is a fundamental limit. If you think about it, technology is really just manipulating the universe on smaller and smaller distance scales. But once you get into quantum mechanics, there's an abrupt halt.

Look at computer technology. We've gone from huge vacuum tubes to 2 cm-sized transistors to micro-sized, and now we're in the nano realm. But you physically can't create transistors smaller than an atom.

What's the next step? Quantum computing. 1's and 0's representing the quantum states of an electron. But after that, you're done. There will never be a "sub-quantum computer." Not in a billion years.

What CAN continue to grow forever is engineering capability. It's like the Star Wars universe. Technology never really changes (they had lightsabres for 25,000 years) But engineering capacity has grown tremendously. Now they're able to build 160km-wide planet-killing death stations.

I'm waaaay too into this.
FoxHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:48 PM   #36
ATB

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxHound View Post
There is a fundamental limit. If you think about it, technology is really just manipulating the universe on smaller and smaller distance scales. But once you get into quantum mechanics, there's an abrupt halt.

Look at computer technology. We've gone from huge vacuum tubes to 2 cm-sized transistors to micro-sized, and now we're in the nano realm. But you physically can't create transistors smaller than an atom.

What's the next step? Quantum computing. 1's and 0's representing the quantum states of an electron. But after that, you're done. There will never be a "sub-quantum computer." Not in a billion years.

What CAN continue to grow forever is engineering capability. It's like the Star Wars universe. Technology never really changes (they had lightsabres for 25,000 years) But engineering capacity has grown tremendously. Now they're able to build 160km-wide planet-killing death stations.

Cool way of looking at it. Should have a monologue like this in your next far-future sci-fi epic.

ATB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:05 PM   #37
Signal30

Quote:
And I'm not. I mean, I admire that, but I just watch a movie for the story. Had to quit stressing the tech details too much because I was starting to get angry with too many movies.

My YouTube channel.
Signal30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:39 PM   #38
tuukka

Yup, the whole point is to make it understandable and relatable to contemporary audience.

Besides, 1000 years from now we might be living in stone age. Or we might experience a cultural crash 700 years from now, and it would take another 300 years to reach advanced technology.
tuukka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:16 AM   #39
tuukka

Quote:

Once you have self-evolving nano-level A.I's, anything is off the limits. You can build things atom by atom. You can create intelligences 1000 times faster and 1000 times more intelligent than human mind. You can have trillion x trillion nano-robots building your engineering project if you want.

You can build a planet like Earth from a scratch, if you want to.

That's really the limit. Only the laws of physics are a limitation, but theoretically, anything that exist in our universe can be built.

There is no way of knowing whether human civilization will ever reach that point, thought.
tuukka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:13 AM   #40
zenplato

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuukka View Post
Once you have self-evolving nano-level A.I's, anything is off the limits. You can build things atom by atom. You can create intelligences 1000 times faster and 1000 times more intelligent than human mind. You can have trillion x trillion nano-robots building your engineering project if you want.

You can build a planet like Earth from a scratch, if you want to.

That's really the limit. Only the laws of physics are a limitation, but theoretically, anything that exist in our universe can be built.

There is no way of knowing whether human civilization will ever reach that point, thought.
Uhmm, not so sure about this...are you familiar with the Kardashev scale?

Here is Kaku explaining better than I ever could--the audio is kind of crappy, but the content is awesome.