Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Aaron Sorkin Screenwriting Class

So I just got an email that the class is now available through early access...that inspired me to plunk down my $90. Did anyone start yet?

I just paid, haven't actually started. Can't figure out how to find the rest of you, either. I don't think the message boards are very sophisticated on that site.

Comment

I received the same email today. Will start later tonight or tomorrow. Going to see ST Beyond right now.
      "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

There doesn't appear to be any way to "find" anyone on the main class site. You can post a link to your profile page but now that early access is available, anyone who tries to comment there will just end up at a list of the lessons.

Comment

Originally posted by tinlizzie View Post
          There doesn't appear to be any way to "find" anyone on the main class site. You can post a link to your profile page but now that early access is available, anyone who tries to comment there will just end up at a list of the lessons.
          Did you join the "facebook student group," yet? Says there's 739 members, including me. Oh, actually, not including me, yet... I'm in "pending."
          Last edited by finalact4; 07-24-2016, 08:21 AM.
          "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
            Did you join the "facebook student group," yet? Says there's 739 members, including me. Oh, actually, not including me, yet... I'm in "pending."
            Yup. Said I was added this morning. This might be the easiest way for any of us DDP peeps to find each other, so if anyone is interested I guess they can find me there under my real name, Heather Tinney.

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
              Did you join the "facebook student group," yet?
              Ugh. I seriously hate and despise Facebook.

Kind of funny, since I'm taking a screenwriting class from the writer of THE SOCIAL NETWORK.

Comment

watched most of the videos.

not sure it was worth the 90$.

anyone in LA? I would like to do a writers group, with table reads.

I have the actors.

Comment

biggest takeaway from watching?

Comment

Originally posted by jsay View Post
                    biggest takeaway from watching?
                    I watched the first 11 classes, then skipped ahead to the two on rewrites, so I'm a little over a third of the way through. I've enjoyed it, but I do feel like it's more for beginning screenwriters. For me it's been helpful in that it's confirmed a lot of what I already knew about dialogue, research, characters, etc. And he's also given a few well-reasoned explanations that I might not have been able to articulate about those things I did know.

Also, it feels good to hear Aaron Sorkin describe his process and realize he's as broken as the rest of us, that it takes him 18 to 24 months to finish a screenplay and he spends a lot of that time depressed. He used an analogy about painting a fence that I liked: if you're painting a fence, it doesn't matter how you feel when you're doing the work, it will look the same whether you're in a good mood or a bad one. But for screenwriting, we really do need to "feel" it. So you need to give yourself milestones that you can check off and do something, like listen to music, so that you can have positive energy to write.

I also like the classes where he includes clips from A FEW GOOD MEN or WEST WING. I wish there were a few more clips, actually, but it's a nice way of seeing techniques in action that he just described, without having to watch the entire movie/series.

I like the class. Even though it's nothing new or groundbreaking, it's been somewhat inspiring to me. Makes me want to write.

Comment

Cool... Sounds good -- great to get a POV on it...

Comment

Not worth the 90$.

Unless you're a total newbie and haven't read any books or blogs or you just want a refreshment course.

Even the workshops with the 5 chosen screenwriters was unsatisfying. They cut them short, not letting us going into deep.

Haven't watched the West Wing analysis yet.

But I think the most embarrassing moment for me was when Sorkin pitched a concept to the screenwriters and it fell flat. I was flabbergasted they kept that in the lesson and not cut it out. Didn't inspire me any confidence in him. Especially when he was begging for acceptance.

He is a brilliant dialogue writer. And I mean brilliant. I watch anything he writes. I'm a fan.

But for what I've seen of him, his delivery is not charismatic. If you didn't know he was Sorkin, you would be a little disappointed about his hesitant speech.

(although I wouldn't mind to be in the same room with him, the man is quite fetching. )

Comment

Originally posted by manfredlopez View Post

I am involved in organising filmmaking and screenwriting workshops and am sort of aware of many of the 'tricks of the trade' and what's real and not when it comes to educational standards. All I can say is that the "cashing in" red flags are all over these workshops.

You hit the nail right on the nose.

I learnt more from Jeff Lowell's rants in these boards.

Comment

Originally posted by vstm10 View Post
                            Not worth the 90$. Unless you're a total newbie and haven't read any books or blogs or you just want a refreshment course.
                            I agree that it's mostly for newbies. It's pretty basic.

Even the workshops with the 5 chosen screenwriters was unsatisfying. They cut them short, not letting us going into deep.
                            I watched parts of two workshops and I found them boring. Not sure if there is an interesting way to present them, however. I think you have to be in the room.

But for what I've seen of him, his delivery is not charismatic. If you didn't know he was Sorkin, you would be a little disappointed about his hesitant speech.
                            I actually think he's funny. He does um and uh a lot, but he's got a self-deprecating humor that I enjoy and find entertaining.

But I've done about 14 lessons and now I'm stalling. Not sure if/when I'll finish.
                            Last edited by sallain; 07-28-2016, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sallain View Post
                              I actually think he's funny. He does um and uh a lot, but he's got a self-deprecating humor that I enjoy and find entertaining.

Oh yes, funny and self deprecating - no doubt. I like the man a lot.

But charismatic? No.

His pitch to mission to mars was really uninspiring.

but i love the man, i love the man!

Comment

Now David Mamet is doing one.

https://www.masterclass.com/classes/...amatic-writing

reddit had these notes from Sorkin's.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Screenwriti...res_my_cliffs/

Comment

Working...
                                X