Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2019, 05:01 PM   #1
WillLevin
New User

Default Unsolicited queries to prodcos

It's my understanding (which could be totally wrong) that production companies don't accept unsolicited queries. However, in reading your posts it seems that you are getting some traction with prodcos.

Is it worth submitting to prodcos? Is there a list anywhere of prodcos which do accept unsolicited queries?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Will
Old 03-13-2019, 05:16 PM   #2
finalact4

Default Re: unsolicited queries to prodcos

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillLevin View Post
It's my understanding (which could be totally wrong) that production companies don't accept unsolicited queries. However, in reading your posts it seems that you are getting some traction with prodcos.

Is it worth submitting to prodcos? Is there a list anywhere of prodcos which do accept unsolicited queries?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Will
when you submit a logline and they request a read, it becomes solicited.

so, yes, you email them something very simple. you email everyone you can. the worst they say is, no. the best, "send me the script."

initially, all they want to know is if you have a sellable idea.

when they request the script they are hoping for a great produceable script.

good luck
Old 03-14-2019, 03:49 PM   #3
WillLevin
New User

Default Re: Unsolicited queries to prodcos

Great to know. I just wanted to confirm there is a chance a query would be read before sending any out.

Thank you, FinalAct4.

Will
Old 03-15-2019, 05:36 AM   #4
hscope

A few years ago I sent an email query to a producer at Fox regarding my animation feature script. I was aware they didn't take unsolicited queries, but I was frustrated I couldn't get the script to Pixar or Dreamworks. I didn't even mention the name of the work or what it was about; just that I had a script they might find interesting.

Within ten minutes I had two emails from different people in the Fox legal department telling me they don't accept unsolicited queries, my email had been destroyed and that I should never ever contact them again.

While I was reading the second email, a third one came in requesting the script. I didn't sell the screenplay, but it bounced around the execs like a pinball for a couple of weeks, which was pretty exciting.

In other words, the above is a long-winded example of finalact4's earlier post
Old 03-15-2019, 07:40 AM   #5
catcon

More extreme examples of "you just never know", if you don't try (in respect of the privacy of the companies involved, I will not mention the company names):

I have had read requests after 12, 24 and (my personal record, so far) 38 pitches. These were to three different companies, all of whom have made big successful films. Here, I'm not talking studios, but as per the example above it seems "you just never know" happens even in those cases. (Or, as stated, this was a producer "at" or perhaps "working out of" the studio, with a studio email domain?)

Anyway, for my first two, the pitches were for 12 and 24 different scripts, over whatever number of years it was, before I got a response.

For #38 it was different: After I'd done a polish to what I've long thought was my best script, I did a big re-pitch blitz and mentioned that I thought it was my best, and it was quickly requested. (I guess it can help if they know it's not a first draft!)

Look, we know most everybody uses those "anti-spam" email filters - human and otherwise - but even with computerized white-listing (?) of your known contacts to let those get through automatically, things can get caught up.

Thus, everybody has to keep an eye on their incoming email "just in case" their buddy gets ensnared, and "just in case" something really unusual comes through. I imagine that if you've got something even remotely interesting to say in the first paragraph, they'll keep reading, no matter the official company policy because: "You just never know"!

The only question is, how much time do we give over to cold pitching in this context? There are a number of other tactics we can and should employ, so we have to figure what balance is right for ourselves. With constant staff turnover at production companies, and even some who change their policies now and then (open submission, then closed, then open again), cold pitching should be a part of your toolset - though it's a sad day if it's all you're doing.
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:38 PM   #6
WillLevin
New User

From your feedback, I conclude that some prodcos read queries (even if they say they don't), but the chances for this type of query resulting in a read request is extremely low. Right so far?

Assuming one is eager (desperate?) to get their great work out there (to anyone with a pulse), what is the best resource for identifying prodcos which have produced in your genre?

I've done some research on IMBd Pro; it was painstaking and did not result in many potential query targets. Scripts & Scribes posted a Manager List (dated but useful)--do you know of anything similar for prodcos (where the grunt work has already been done)?

Thanks in advance.

Will
Old 03-20-2019, 07:01 AM   #7
catcon

The "Will" who runs this site has a good response. I won't steal his thunder.

But the reason I know this, is because I'm familiar with this very site. Meaning, if you have questions about how this biz works, go through this forum extensively. It's a tremendous resource. I'd stick to headings under the "Business" section, such as "Business Questions and Advice", "Agents, Lawyers & Managers" and "Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks", and away from the movie discussions (which are just big distractions).

Suffice to say, a contact database that means something specifically to you is not likely available for free anywhere; you have to build it yourself through years of work, including Google, IMDB (pro or otherwise), LinkedIn, this forum, etc.

VPF has a "what are they looking for" list for their producers, but I've found it to be dated, and it can get costly. That's why I like InkTip' Preferred Newsletter ($60 for 4 months, or a scaled down version for free), because it lists specific needs. Once in a blue moon you actually come across somebody who's looking to spend $5M or more on exactly the script you've just completed (or old one that you're trying to market).

G'luck!
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote