Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2019, 08:34 AM   #1
catcon

Default Monkeypaw (Jordan Peele)

For those of you who know me (or know how to check these things on somebody's profile), you'll know it's a rare thing for me to start a thread! (After all, pretty well every question has already been answered here on DDPro, with a deft use of their search tool)

Anyway, I am curious about your dealings with Peele's Monkeypaw Productions:
Monkeypaw Productions

Last year they had only a basic website, with an info@ address. I sent them an email asking if they took submissions. No immediate response. But a few months later they wrote back to say they do, but only via their new web portal. Lo and behold, upon revisiting the site (Nov-18) they had a fairly extravagant data-collection and submission form on-screen. I sent them a few things (controversial satire, vs. genre horror) that I thought he'd like.

On Jan-18-19 (73 days ago), they closed the open submission.

So, for me, it's now 133 days since I submitted my scripts.

No problem, it'll just sit there as an open record in my database.

However, I'd still follow-up but now their info@ doesn't work. The few other @monkeypawproductions.com emails found on Google don't work. I tried to connect with a couple of their staff via LinkedIn, but (compared to most on LI) the process required an email address to confirm that I know them and they know me, before the connection request could go through.

I think under the circumstances it's fair to expect a yea or nay response, given that they asked for submissions. Amazon Studios, Endemol/Shine et al always get back to you, when you use their portals.

Unless of course 130+ days (and counting) is not such a big deal to wait, for a busy and extra-special prospect such as Jordan Peele.

It's just that being so hard to get in touch with somebody is not usually considered good news, once they have your scripts - no matter who it is.

Did any of you submit, and if so have you received any confirmations or been able to find out what's happening - aside from having a rep, which not all of us have, to make contact through their usual furtive methods? Thx

Last edited by catcon : 04-01-2019 at 08:55 AM. Reason: I have a 10-year-old keyboard where the "s" drops out sometimes!
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 04:23 PM   #2
lostfootage
Regular

Default Re: Monkeypaw (Jordan Peele)

I submitted something... Let me check the date... It was 12/26/18. I did a screen capture of the script submission confirmation page. It says this:

"Thank you for your script submission! Your content has been received and will be reviewed by our team. Monkeypaw Productions will only be in contact should there be interest in your project."

I've heard nothing. I personally am not following up. I usually don't follow up. When I've had people interested in talking to me, I can't get rid of them -- they call, email, etc. I take the silence as a 'no.' But that's just me.
lostfootage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 04:59 PM   #3
catcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostfootage View Post
..."Thank you for your script submission! Your content has been received and will be reviewed by our team. Monkeypaw Productions will only be in contact should there be interest in your project."....
Holy crap, I don't remember seeing that. Thanks! (Still not like those other open submission sites I mentioned, which always made/make a point of getting back to ye')
Old 04-04-2019, 09:56 AM   #4
lostfootage
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcon View Post
Holy crap, I don't remember seeing that. Thanks! (Still not like those other open submission sites I mentioned, which always made/make a point of getting back to ye')
I'm glad I took a screenshot -- I would have never remembered seeing that line either! They're probably being slammed with queries right now. I'm sure they got like 10,000 submissions in a couple of months. I prefer places that send out a firm "no."
Old 04-04-2019, 10:56 AM   #5
catcon

I don't mean to turn this one into another Amazon Studios "you never know" thread - where we wait hopelessly and helplessly for some or any sort of response since the open submission system closed.

But no reply from Monkeypaw may yet mean they've simply not finished going through everything. The "closing" date was Jan-18; not that long ago.

In other words, maybe we can say "you never know", and continue to be patient.

Quote:
...They're probably being slammed with queries right now...
You'd be talking rep queries through their usual secret channels, of course. Their info@ email doesn't work any more (for me, last time I tried).
Old 04-04-2019, 03:28 PM   #6
lostfootage
Regular

Yes! It doesn't mean no yet. I'd give it six months. The first time I had interest in a project, I sent a script to a director and he said he'd read it. He called me on a Saturday morning three months after I had sent it to him to tell me he had finally read it and was interested. THREE MONTHS LATER! I had totally forgotten about it. So you never know.

(He tried to set it up for a year, but could never find cast that was as interested as he was.)
Old 04-30-2019, 11:38 PM   #7
Deadweight
New User

I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone checks the portal.

I submitted two scripts and heard nothing. Four months later, I emailed the exact same query directly to someone there, and got a read request within minutes.

A few weeks later, they passed on it, but enjoyed it enough to keep the door open for my other work. So it looks like they are open to material, but submissions on the portal probably end up at the bottom of the pile.
Deadweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:44 AM   #8
catcon

Quote:
I'm glad I took a screenshot -- I would have never remembered seeing that line either!...
I tried the Wayback Machine to see if I could check that, but the only snapshot was from this February: It displayed the sad old "Sorry, submissions are closed" page that was there until recently, when they redid their whole website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadweight View Post
I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone checks the portal.
But that's what bugs me about this or any so-called 'open submission' portal: They'd emailed me to invite a submission - based, I presume, on my asking them by email a few months before if they accepted any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadweight View Post
I submitted two scripts and heard nothing. Four months later, I emailed the exact same query directly to someone there, and got a read request within minutes.
Again, another knot in my craw. The email domain I'd used previously is now coming back to me UNDELIVERED. (The emails I used were based on their website at www.monkeypawproductions.com. One was originally listed on their website and others had shown up in Google searches, so I'm not giving anything away here.)

Anyway, thinking I'd get better results, I tried LinkedIn. But when I tried to connect, I hit something I'd never seen before: "You need an email to complete this request." So I entered the email address that I'd used previously, but the request just hung there for days, unsent. Arrgh! It's the first time LinkedIn's failed me.

The result is particularly annoying: They invited me to submit, but then closed down any email (that I had) to contact them to find out what's happening. I don't for a second think they'd try to steal anything of my four submissions, but this is why the minimum courtesy (an auto-generated 'pass' email) is appropriate here as in any such circumstance. It's just a professional thing to do.

In the end, I'd long deactivated their record in my contact database (I usually do so after 60 days). In that way, it doesn't show up to remind me how gullible I was. But when I look under the hood, I get to see that the counter's still clicking: 162 days now.