Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Agents, Lawyers & Managers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2019, 10:37 AM   #51
GucciGhostXXX

Default Re: WGA Offers a One Year Respite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
Gucci -- now I'm even more confused by your backstory. You're a writer now or always? Or were you also on the agent/rep side as I think your posts said?
I fell into writing super late. I read scripts and gave notes on them for years for my agent wife. Yup, a lot of those notes were mine. Still it didn't occur to me to try writing my own script. Not for 10 years of doing that. I was a film composer at the time. I had a meeting with a composer agent at ICM (I was agent-less as a composer, main gig ghost writing for other composers). During that meeting we got off topic and discussed screenwriting and how much easier it was to break in. Epiphany. Maybe I should try to write my own script. My ex (CAA agent at the time) was adamant that I not write a script and "stay in my lane." I wrote it anyway. 16 days later I had a script. She read it. Liked it, a lot. But was worried she may have a bias. She gave the script to head of lit at CAA with me using a fake name in case they hated it. Loved it. Handed me down to a mid level who also loved it. A couple weeks later I'm repped. And I admit my real name, because I already know this agent.

I sell a show etc.

Fast forward a couple years I almost die and my ex is fired. We then started a management company. It was her face, but I was doing the dealings and notes etc behind the scenes. Accidentally became a manager for 3 years. My W2s say "manager" so I suppose I can legally claim I was one. We had a pretty great run. Made a lot of money. Seemed like everything was selling. So, I wasn't writing. That company dissolved and now I'm back to being a loser writer. LOL. Any heat I had as a writer was long gone. So I had to write new stuff and rep up a second time... which was WAY harder this time.

Out of the new stuff I've written, I haven't sold anything. Only generals. I'm out with a show right now. Fingers crossed!
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:09 AM   #52
finalact4

when i read this article and the offer of a respite, i thought it was a mistake to go backward and not stick to their guns. i understand why the WGA might have thought it would be a good idea, but this is exactly what i thought would be deduced from it...

Quote:

In its demurrer, ICM cited this offer as proof that packaging is not illegal. After filing this lawsuit, in June 2019, the WGA publicly offered to extend packaging for one calendar year to any agency willing to sign onto its other terms and conditions. The WGAs offer is squarely at odds with its stated litigation position that participation in packaging is illegal something it would hardly do if it actually believed packaging violated federal law or harmed writers.
ICM Seeks Dismissal of WGA Packaging Lawsuit, Calls Guild's Legal Theories "Absurd."

https://deadline.com/2019/07/icm-see...ta-1202649428/

when does this hit the courts? i'm not even sure how all this works. are we in the middle of some process where the parties involved have deadlines where they can challenge the validity of the suit or something?

curious that no one is making any moves toward reconciliation.

My opinions are just that-- opinions.
https://www.lisamolusis.com/project-02
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:16 AM   #53
GucciGhostXXX

This is one of the dumbest things I've seen in Hollywood. I super DON'T GET these "negotiations."
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:31 PM   #54
JoeBanks

motions to dismiss at the pleading stage are rarely successful, absent a clearly poorly-pleaded complaint, because the court has to construe all factual allegations in favor of the plaintiff at this point, i.e., assuming the truth of everything alleged in the complaint, does it at least state a claim for which relief can be granted. although i have not read the pleadings or these motions, i'll presume that WGA counsel are not dum-dums and would not file anything that could be summarily knocked out on a motion to dismiss. so all the back and forth in the litigation at this point is largely posturing and defining the actual scope of the case for purposes of discovery (where, if it proceeds that far, then you'll really see which side has the actual balls to go through with things like opening their books to the other side)

the ATA line appears to continue to be "well, they're writers and we know they will eventually fold because they always fold." not really a strategy i would want to bet my entire business on but there it is:

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...no-end-in-site

"The protracted standoff has wider repercussions for Hollywood because it could impede the staffing of shows and disrupt the flow of projects next year. Some analysts believe it could also portend a wide labor conflict next summer when contracts for all three major talent unions expire."

I'm not sure where this idea that firing the agents has either impeded staffing (all the shows on the air are fully and competently staffed, afaik) or disrupt the flow of development (it's just gearing up for next season but i continue to read about plenty of deals and sales in the trades on a weekly basis). magical thinking is magical, i guess

and i'm still waiting for just one of these doomsday articles to be written from the agency side. never do we hear about the fired agents' anxiety about when/if they're actually going to get back to their jobs -- which actually have been disrupted in the way that everyone keeps predicting the writers' will be. but i would not be surprised if things continue on this current path through the end of the year to wake up sometime after Xmas, when all the pilot orders will have been made by the networks and studios, for there to be a "Black Monday" event when the non-Big Four agencies are forced to cut their lit departments down to the bone.

reading the CAA history "Power House" recently gave me a greater appreciation for the origins of TV packaging and the extent to which it built these mega-agencies far beyond their 10% foundations. and i'm more convinced than ever that they'll never ever ever give up that paradigm except upon pain of death or a court decree along the lines of DOJ forcing Lew Wasserman and MCA to choose between agenting and producing. as the LAT article suggests, the risk to WGA leadership is that time isn't on their side to resolve that question before they have to renegotiate the MBA with the studios. the appetite for two big fights in one year is probably not there for the same 95% who approved the ATA resolution.
JoeBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:18 PM   #55
AnyOtherName
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBanks View Post
and i'm still waiting for just one of these doomsday articles to be written from the agency side. never do we hear about the fired agents' anxiety about when/if they're actually going to get back to their jobs -- which actually have been disrupted in the way that everyone keeps predicting the writers' will be. but i would not be surprised if things continue on this current path through the end of the year to wake up sometime after Xmas, when all the pilot orders will have been made by the networks and studios, for there to be a "Black Monday" event when the non-Big Four agencies are forced to cut their lit departments down to the bone.

reading the CAA history "Power House" recently gave me a greater appreciation for the origins of TV packaging and the extent to which it built these mega-agencies far beyond their 10% foundations. and i'm more convinced than ever that they'll never ever ever give up that paradigm except upon pain of death or a court decree along the lines of DOJ forcing Lew Wasserman and MCA to choose between agenting and producing. as the LAT article suggests, the risk to WGA leadership is that time isn't on their side to resolve that question before they have to renegotiate the MBA with the studios. the appetite for two big fights in one year is probably not there for the same 95% who approved the ATA resolution.
I agree with everything you're saying except maybe the part about the ATA fight hurting the MBA negotiations. If the perception is that we're winning the agency fight-- if Paradigm, Gersh, Kaplan Stahler, etc. come to terms and/or the current leadership is reelected-- that will immensely increase our perceived power when it comes time to battle the studios. If nothing changes except that there are more dumb agency-planted articles in the Wall Street Journal (and/or if the Cave Caucus gets elected to the Board), then yeah... that will definitely make the MBA fight tougher.
AnyOtherName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:04 PM   #56
finalact4

it's amazing that agents are so tight lipped. i mean, nothing that i know of, has come out fear in the middle-earth of agencies. i would've thought there's be something.

like, someone break, give us some juice!

My opinions are just that-- opinions.
https://www.lisamolusis.com/project-02
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote