Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2007, 01:30 PM   #1
lache
Regular

Default "I enjoyed it but it's not for me..."

Do you believe them when producers say that? Do you think they're just being polite? Do those responses get you down? I'll say reject the rejections...

Lache...
lache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 01:46 PM   #2
writerman

Default Re: "I enjoyed it but it's not for me..."

I only believe them if I'm invited to send another script.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:12 PM   #3
RGF

Location: Kicking around on a piece of ground in my home town.

"I enjoyed it, but it's not for me" is one line I've never been able to figure out. You'd think that if they enjoyed it, so would a broader audience. I've heard that line a hundred times. I personally think that's it's a brush off. They just weren't wowed by it and don't have the time/interest to explain specifically what they didn't like about it. It's a default response that's just vague enough to misinterpreted by writers as a compliment, yet is a complete rejection as well. And it's depressing. You'd think they could come up with 1 or 2 sentences about what they didn't like, or why they don't think they can sell it, etc. Gee, I guess I did figure it out.
RGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 02:17 PM   #4
Scripted77

I've found that if someone enjoys it (but it isn't for them), they usually know someone it might be right for. A former manager of mine often does this to me, and offers to pass it along to a friend in the biz who might be right for it.

I also agree with writerman. If they ask for something else, that's a good indication.
Scripted77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 02:56 PM   #5
lache
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scripted77 View Post
I've found that if someone enjoys it (but it isn't for them), they usually know someone it might be right for. A former manager of mine often does this to me, and offers to pass it along to a friend in the biz who might be right for it.

I also agree with writerman. If they ask for something else, that's a good indication.

I've gotten a few people who want to read another one of my script based on the one that wasn't for them. The line does confuse me because it makes me feel they disliked it but they're just being nice... I guess I can tell myself they did like it but it's not for them! lol
Old 09-04-2007, 03:31 PM   #6
EnterUserNameHere
User

It could mean, "I enjoyed it but it's not something I can get made with the investors I know...", or "I enjoyed it, but not as much as the stuff I've currently got on my plate..."
EnterUserNameHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:34 PM   #7
Writer1

If he asks, "What else ya got?"...that's a good sign.

Also, just because he/she likes it doesn't mean that enough moviegoers would enjoy it enough for him to spend time/money producing it. Movies are business.
Writer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:54 PM   #8
lache
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writer1 View Post
If he asks, "What else ya got?"...that's a good sign.

Also, just because he/she likes it doesn't mean that enough moviegoers would enjoy it enough for him to spend time/money producing it. Movies are business.

I think my script sounds high concept, but it is a dark comedy. It has very funny moments, but it deals with a somewhat serious matter. I think when they read the logline...they may think broad audience, but it may not be that. Anyway, I've gotten over 30 request to read my script and about 5 rejections...with the "I liked it, but..., I enjoyed it but...I loved the concept but...great job with it but..."
Old 09-04-2007, 06:20 PM   #9
LIMAMA

If I had a dollar for every time I've heard that....

LIMAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:34 PM   #10
geozero
Regular

It's a small town. No one wants to P.O. anyone. It's a polite way of saying "no" but at the same time keeping the door open for future. This of course is a 2-way street. Follow it up with a call or letter and FIND OUT what they're looking for. Ask to take them out to lunch and just chat. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Research them. If they produce comedy and yours was a horror script, perhaps you can send them a comedy piece when you have one.
geozero is offline   Reply With Quote