Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2011, 12:53 AM   #1
growingpains
New User

Default How Long Does It Take To Get Your Script Read?

I've been mailing and e-mailing my script to various companies and agents. Considering that they actually decide to read it, how long does it take for them to get to it? And on a side note, I've been mailing my script to agents at CAA. So far two have gotten returned and three have not been returned. Does that mean my unreturned scripts are going to be read or thrown away? Thanks.
growingpains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:39 AM   #2
RGF

Location: Kicking around on a piece of ground in my home town.
Default Re: How Long Does It Take To Get Your Script Read?

Never EVER mail or email your script to anyone unsolicited. That's not how the industry works. Send a query letter with logline by email.

CAA has definitely destroyed all copies of your script, or are sending them back to you with a legal letter. Others, probably the same. Suggest you explore this site in great detail to get a feel about how the industry works.
RGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:33 AM   #3
late day9
New User

RGF is correct. You should follow his advice.
late day9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:10 AM   #4
Filmfelinemeowmeow
Regular

It is clear you've never read the Screenwriter's Bible nor the Writer's Market

Get yourself a copy of both and actually read them. BTW that's just step one, to get your feet wet, read posts on this board and get other books on it.

Everytime I'm hang out with my non actor friends and they judge an acting performance wether he/she is a 'good' actor or a 'bad' actor saying things like "I could have done that better", I say: "Would you ever walk into an operating room and operate on someone without going to medical school? No? OK, but everyone thinks they can act."
It's the same thing with screenwriting. Don't assume you can until you're learned as much as you can about it. Keep on writing, but don't stop learning.
Filmfelinemeowmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:16 PM   #5
growingpains
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmfelinemeowmeow View Post
It is clear you've never read the Screenwriter's Bible nor the Writer's Market

Get yourself a copy of both and actually read them. BTW that's just step one, to get your feet wet, read posts on this board and get other books on it.

Everytime I'm hang out with my non actor friends and they judge an acting performance wether he/she is a 'good' actor or a 'bad' actor saying things like "I could have done that better", I say: "Would you ever walk into an operating room and operate on someone without going to medical school? No? OK, but everyone thinks they can act."
It's the same thing with screenwriting. Don't assume you can until you're learned as much as you can about it. Keep on writing, but don't stop learning.

I have indeed read the Screenwriters Bible and know David Trottier's rules about this. I simply went against the traditional rule because my entertainment attorney suggested it.

I'm trying to get a specific director attached for my film and he's repped at CAA. My attorney suggested I keep mailing my script to his agent until it gets read. After my first copy got returned with their traditional legal letter, I e-mailed the agent and told him who my attorney was and that I already had another script coming to him. Since then I haven't had any scripts returned or had a response from the agent. I don't know if I should take this as "waiting to be read" or "thrown away."

What is the trick to getting your scripts read at CAA anyway? Do you have to put a code on the outside of the package or does someone there always open them and check the cover letter to see if it looks like it was actually requested before it gets forwarded to the agent it was mailed to?
growingpains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:39 PM   #6
Furious Anjel

Quote:
Originally Posted by growingpains View Post
I have indeed read the Screenwriters Bible and know David Trottier's rules about this. I simply went against the traditional rule because my entertainment attorney suggested it.

I'm trying to get a specific director attached for my film and he's repped at CAA. My attorney suggested I keep mailing my script to his agent until it gets read. After my first copy got returned with their traditional legal letter, I e-mailed the agent and told him who my attorney was and that I already had another script coming to him. Since then I haven't had any scripts returned or had a response from the agent. I don't know if I should take this as "waiting to be read" or "thrown away."

What is the trick to getting your scripts read at CAA anyway? Do you have to put a code on the outside of the package or does someone there always open them and check the cover letter to see if it looks like it was actually requested before it gets forwarded to the agent it was mailed to?
Who's your entertainment attorney? Jackie Chiles? Sounds like you're being a nuisance.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:48 PM   #7
jcgary

Your attorney should submit it for you.
jcgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:54 PM   #8
Filmfelinemeowmeow
Regular

Quote:
I have indeed read the Screenwriters Bible and know David Trottier's rules about this. I simply went against the traditional rule because my entertainment attorney suggested it. I'm trying to get a specific director attached for my film and he's repped at CAA. My attorney suggested I keep mailing my script to his agent until it gets read.
I am shocked your ent. attorney suggested it, but I'll believe you and take your word for it even tough it's hard to believe, however, if you read the books you wouldn't have done it hun. The trick is to put your referral name into the subject, but don't lie if you were not referred.
K
Filmfelinemeowmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:57 PM   #9
Todd Karate
Regular

Quote:
I think the fact that a hard copy showed up by USPS is a dead giveaway your script wasn't requested.
Todd Karate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:05 PM   #10
Paradis

Quote:
What is the trick to getting your scripts read at CAA anyway?
Oh, well. We here at aspiring to be read dot.com all know of the trick to be read by the biggest talent agency in hollywood, we just choose not to employ it.

I'm gonna go out on a limp and question whether your story's ready for this director. Maybe keep going the "traditional" route before trying any more back doors. I'm not so sure you know which back door to look for at the moment. I mean in that in a supportive way.
Paradis is offline   Reply With Quote