Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2013, 02:02 PM   #1
Sleepydude
New User

Default Bizarre resubmission situation with Circle of Confusion

Hi all,

I sent out nearly 100 cold queries a few months ago for my screenplay, after carefully researching the best places to send it. Being a complete newb, I didn't realize 80% of the emails would bounce back with unsolicited submission legalese. I received exactly one request for a read, from Circle of Confusion, who I was quite excited about.

Then this happened: After emailing them my screenplay, I follow up with a call at exactly the six-week mark. I've only got 10 min away from work so I walk to a nearby park. During the call sirens start going off while I'm talking to the COC office manager. Suddenly it's incredibly noisy everywhere. For those of you who know Chicago, it turned out to be one of the few times a year they raise the downtown bridges to accomodate sailboats. I go on to spend among the most excruciating 5 min of my life trying to communicate with an increasingly frustrated gatekeeper on the other end of the phone. I keep misunderstanding what she is saying and she can't hear me either and I just end up apologizing profusely until she hangs up. I felt horrible about it. I try to call back later but she is "out of the office." I follow up with an apologetic email, to which I get no response. Within 24 hours I receive the dreaded form rejection email.

Now that it's been a few months should I re-submit my screenplay to them (I've done some final tinkering on it since then as well)? I can't help but think due to extenuating circumstances that my script maybe never got read. Just to emphasize, Circle of Confusion didn't do anything wrong or even unseemly. I just feel like I've burned my bridge (pun intended). Is this just wishful thinking on my part?

Thanks in advance for advice.
Sleepydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #2
Knaight

Default Re: Bizarre resubmission situation with Circle of Confusion

Don't resubmit.

It's a pass. If (they felt) it was amazing, the bizarre communication issues wouldn't have resulted in a form letter. At the very least, someone else would've tried to get in touch with you again to get a better idea of whether or not you're insane.

If you only received one request in 100 queries, the issue was far more likely in the concept or the writing itself, which can often be deduced from a query letter.

The good news is, you have almost certainly not burned a bridge. Don't sweat it. Just get to work on another spec and hit them up with that one when it's ready.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:50 PM   #3
docgonzo

Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about the call, but definitely worry about your logline/concept if you're getting a 1% return on your queries.

And lesson learned: never talk outside on your cell. Find someplace quiet. I used to go in the stairwell at work after experiencing something similar (but not nearly as bad!)
docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #4
canela
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
Don't resubmit.

It's a pass. If (they felt) it was amazing, the bizarre communication issues wouldn't have resulted in a form letter. At the very least, someone else would've tried to get in touch with you again to get a better idea of whether or not you're insane.

If you only received one request in 100 queries, the issue was far more likely in the concept or the writing itself, which can often be deduced from a query letter.

The good news is, you have almost certainly not burned a bridge. Don't sweat it. Just get to work on another spec and hit them up with that one when it's ready.
Agree. Industry pros work around crazy all the time if the talent makes it worth it. From a newbie, though, nothing smells worse than desperation so let it go. On the tech side, remember that the quality of voice calls is a low priority these days for phone makers and carriers.

Buck up, get some sleep. Don't worry about the call.
canela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #5
CthulhuRises

Why did you call them to follow-up to begin with? An e-mail would have sufficed. They deal with hundreds of reads.
CthulhuRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #6
carcar

I don't think you can fault him/her for a follow up phone call. It's not unheard of, and for some, might produce better results.
carcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:55 PM   #7
CthulhuRises

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcar View Post
I don't think you can fault him/her for a follow up phone call. It's not unheard of, and for some, might produce better results.
Just to follow-up on a read, though? There's no way it could produce a "better" result. If they read it and liked it, they'll contact you. Just seems a bit unnecessary, and I'd say borderline vexing for the company in question.
CthulhuRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:54 PM   #8
8bit Llama
Regular

Yeah, if you were calling them to follow up and not the other way around, I'd say just get back into it and query with a new draft down the road (or a new script). I don't think it's that weird to call as a follow up, but I could also see how it might rub people the wrong way. If they liked the script, they'll contact you.
It definitely didn't burn any bridges though. They won't even remember you when you submit again, most likely.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:22 AM   #9
Sleepydude
New User

Thanks for all your suggestions. And I think you're right. Wishful thinking on my part, and it doesn't warrant a follow-up.
Sleepydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #10
carcar

I'm just saying there are plenty of examples on this board where a follow-up phone call has prompted a read of a script that was gathering dust on someone's desk. Sure, it's a little bit of a risk, but what isn't? I'm more of an email person myself, but there are plenty of risk-takers that are further along than me.

This one went badly. Next time, you'll plan better and know exactly what you want to say. I would suggest to keep it short. Five minutes is way too long to keep someone on the phone. But I agree with everyone else that the larger problem lies elsewhere.
carcar is offline   Reply With Quote