Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2019, 03:58 PM   #21
Bono

Default Re: Project requested, no agent/manager to send it

"I hate your script!" -- I should send it right?

"Please send your script now, today! right now!" -- Is this a soft pass?

"Go back to your day job." -- Should I ask them to read something else?

"Do you have a rep?" -- Should I quit the business?

"What is your favorite color?" -- If I say purple, I break into Hollywood right? But my favorite color is blue.... damn!

This is how I read this thread.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 04:26 PM   #22
finalact4

I saw a tweet yesterday from a writer who said when she was 22 a producer said she’s never become a writer... years and years later her agent is negotiating a deal with this producer for her to write a movie for him.

two lessons... 1) don’t ever let anyone tell you what you can or cannot do 2) never burn bridges
Old 06-02-2019, 07:19 PM   #23
Lahlowen
User

Post Re: Project requested, no agent/manager to send it

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcon View Post
Even at my outsider stage as a puny unsold writer, for a couple of low-budget, art house-type projects, I've begun to approach actors/directors with informal requests for attachment, or even something more formal:
Letters of Intent

This isn't to use them at all, at least in any negative way. There's no commitment to these things, and the other talent and financiers I'd approach know this very well. Mostly, it's just to get a bankable name associated with the project, in some way, in any way, in an attempt to assemble some of the many, many pieces to help get things rolling.

Sure, no serious artist is going to let their name be associated with a stupid project or anything against their wishes, but especially in the Indie world I imagine these informal arrangements happen by the truckload. I'm sure the vast majority of them don't come near to making the trade magazines.
Just to clarify, the “using” statement is directed at a certain type. There’s a lot of leechy types out there, as we all know. Someone with a great script hoping to land an attachment is normal and fine. I’m talking more about people with zero self-awareness who approach people via side-eye-worthy means and terrible, unpolished material hoping it’ll be their ticket to making it. These types often hype skills and connections they don’t have, hoping it gets them “in” with somebody who can help them.
Lahlowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 04:28 AM   #24
fotonchev
User

Haha ok, this is a fantastic example the way human mind works
I believe this thread should be closed now. I've got some great advices and it was good to read the different opinions on the matter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
"I hate your script!" -- I should send it right?

"Please send your script now, today! right now!" -- Is this a soft pass?

"Go back to your day job." -- Should I ask them to read something else?

"Do you have a rep?" -- Should I quit the business?

"What is your favorite color?" -- If I say purple, I break into Hollywood right? But my favorite color is blue.... damn!

This is how I read this thread.

Last edited by fotonchev : 06-03-2019 at 04:49 AM.
fotonchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:52 AM   #25
docgonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotonchev View Post
Haha ok, this is a fantastic example the way human mind works
I believe this thread should be closed now. I've got some great advices and it was good to read the different opinions on the matter!
Actually it should stay open. I'm curious to hear what happens when you respond (if you don't mind reporting back).
docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 04:29 PM   #26
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
That is not a soft pass. A soft pass is, "This is not our cup of tea" or "this is not quite right for us." Those are soft passes. (I've written plenty of those letters for others and on my own behalf.) We would also "soft pass" by telling them to send it through my boss' agency/agent. That would do the trick too. They could take care of all for us and keep my boss' hands clean, so to speak.

Now, if that was meant as a pass letter than it deserves to be in the Hall of Fame for the one of the "Worst, Most Misleading Pass Letter." The person should be let go from the company. Seriously.

It's a simple question. Do you have a rep? That's all. Write them back and say, you are not currently repped but would be more than willing to sign a release. You have nothing to lose by doing that. (I was typing as finalact4 was posting. See her note too.)

If I read or heard a query that I really liked, I had the permission to offer to send a release form. Didn't do it often; but absolutely could and would if something caught my eye.
Agreed. Why walk away from that? Only thing I'm walking away from is "We hated it! Literally using it as toilet paper at this exact moment!" Even a soft "No" isn't a real no. Not in my mind. Put me in the room and I'll make something of it, at the very least we'll have a good hang. Example: One producer passed on me. But, wanted to do a general. After the general I get a call on my way home from my agent "Yeah, so, they changed their mind, they want to attach." I'm like "Fo realz, thats a thing?" That's turning a no into a yes. I don't look at no's the same way now. Get me in the room. That's all I need from a rep, I'll do the rest.

Btw - Will, not to pry but do I understand correctly that you work at an agency and are not a writer? I'm not looking to pitch anything, just assumed you were a writer.
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 04:53 PM   #27
Done Deal Pro
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
Btw - Will, not to pry but do I understand correctly that you work at an agency and are not a writer? I'm not looking to pitch anything, just assumed you were a writer.
I do not work at an agency and never have. You can read a bit about my background to some degree on our main site ABOUT page. But I've worked for and with various directors, writer/directors and producers over the years - studio and indie.

In no grandiose way, I've done coverage & notes for companies, networks, writers, writer/directors and producers for 25 plus years. Still do. And I do write scripts, help with polishes & tweaks, a little ghostwriting, etc. but I don't call myself a writer. I just write some when time permits.

Last edited by Done Deal Pro : 07-08-2019 at 05:16 PM.
Done Deal Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:34 PM   #28
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
I do not work at an agency and never have. You can read a bit about my background to some degree on our main site ABOUT page. But I've worked for and with various directors, writer/directors and producers over the years - studio and indie.

In no grandiose way, I've done coverage & notes for companies, networks, writers, writer/directors and producers for 25 plus years. Still do. And I do write scripts, help with polishes & tweaks, a little ghostwriting, etc. but I don't call myself a writer. I just write some when time permits.
Ahh, gotcha. Thanks for the info. Just didn't want to wrongly assume, so thanks!
Old 07-18-2019, 08:40 AM   #29
fotonchev
User

A little update - I did not get any response to my suggestion to sign their release form until I find a representative.
So I'll have to accept it as a silent pass and move on.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:52 AM   #30
GucciGhostXXX

Bummer. At least you know you tried.