No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WGA Offers a One Year Respite?

Originally posted by Bono View Post
    Gucci -- you've come in flying into DD and at first I couldn't tell if you were pretending, but you seem to be the real deal. I don't know why you are here now, but welcome to the party. I assume (cough) maybe you've been here before (cough cough). Either way, good stuff so far.

And I hear you. Ideas are a dime a dozen. I have a great one right now, but I know at least 10 other people are working on it. Why? You can just feel it in the air. Same reason we get 2 Tornado movies in the same movie year or 2 aliens take over the world movies...

I also had that rep stole my idea scenario.... I think my ex managers gave our idea to their producer friends down the hall (same floor, 30 seconds walk to office) when we couldn't get it down to their liking while writing a spec. Can't prove it. And movie had different plot just same high concept idea and title. Anyway, I don't worry about it, just part of the business. It could 100% be unrelated.

People "steal" ideas on purpose sometimes, 95% of the time it just appears that way or by accident. I mean when you go to 100 general meetings half the time you can't remember if you came up with the idea or they pitched it to you. Or you pitch an idea and they say "We are already working on that." but how do you know? And then whose idea is it?

Just go on twitter right now. Think of any current topics and 1000 people have the same joke for it and 990 of them are angry they aren't getting credit for being the first one to think of the joke. And it's embarrassing on so many levels.

Ha! I don't disagree with anything you've said.

I'll admit who I was here before: Dogtown and (caugh) Surftatboy, but I know FAAAAR less than I used to think I known. Industry has changed so much. I'm coming back with my tail between my legs.

Now, I wish everyone the absolute best, because I get how hard this is. Brutal! I apologize for my past ways. Please give me a second chance to right my wrongs.

Also, at this point I have zero reason to protect my ex (agent wife) so I promise not to.

I'm not trying to grandstand, just trying to be REAL. Thanks!
    Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by JoeNYC View Post
      This declaration is gonna be a big help in my attempts to have a in-house logline contest. You're gonna scare everyone away. I'm certainly scared to post a high concept logline now.

Sorry bro. Honestly, I ain't looking to rip anyone off. Not my style. I'm kinda joking, while also saying "ain't it funny that we all think our ideas are better than everyone elses?" So, I don't think there's anything to worry 'bout.

I think you're doing a good thing! Best of luck with this!
      Last edited by GucciGhostXXX; 07-06-2019, 11:21 PM.

Comment

If he wins, I 'll have to renew my grudge match with Tom Hanks (and CAA). LOL

Comment

Yeah I've definitely had experience with similar shady sh*t, but not from an agent - rather, a former manager. Had a very specific high concept comedy idea that he shot down and told me not to waste my time on, citing "branding" issues for me as a writer since I typically did darker fare at the time. A couple years later someone sold a spec with the exact same setup/concept to a major studio, and the writer had a side-eye worthy connection to that manager.

Another instance, I'd shown him a smaller indie drama with a very specific event that happened to the lead that we hadn't seen in any other recent film or tv series. He said the writing was great, but he blatantly refused to do anything with it, because it "wouldn't be worth his time" or mine (financially) to pursue any efforts on such a small project. A year and a half later, an episode of a hugely popular teen show featured the exact same event for one of its characters. I checked who wrote the episode. Guess what? The writer was repped by the same manager.

Finally, in a third instance, I pitched him a high concept sci-fi thriller based on a sort of 'real world science gone wrong' element. He felt it wasn't a strong enough scientific concept to warrant a film based around it. Not long after we stopped working together, I noticed he posted a link on his social media to an article about that very same scientific concept, indicating how it would make a good film.

There were many reasons we stopped working together, and all of these things proved why that was the right decision. He was obviously taking my ideas and giving them to people who were further along in their careers, because he couldn't do anything for a newbie (at the time) like me. I guess his shortcomings weren't about to prevent him from making money off of me and my ideas, one way or another - even though I made nothing.

Comment

My first managers asked us to give our spec script that they didn’t have any notes how to make better to one of their bigger client to pitch. And we asked what we get out of that? Story by credit they can’t even give? Co write script with him? They said nothing but we should do it.

These are legit managers FYI. This is the business.

Comment

My first managers asked us to give our spec script that they didn't have any notes how to make better to one of their bigger client to pitch. And we asked what we get out of that? Story by credit they can't even give? Co write script with him? They said nothing but we should do it.

Smdh.

Comment

i've thought about this. going with a large firm vs a small firm and it is concerning that a manager with dozens of clients would naturally suggest ideas from other works when working with different writers.

is it avoidable? not sure. i guess it's possible.

with a manager with fewer clients, perhaps it wouldn't happen as often? hopefully, the smaller sized company would still have big contacts. i dunno.
                "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

My first managers asked us to give our spec script that they didn't have any notes how to make better to one of their bigger client to pitch. And we asked what we get out of that? Story by credit they can't even give? Co write script with him? They said nothing but we should do it.

Wow! Fukkkkk THAT!

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                    i've thought about this. going with a large firm vs a small firm and it is concerning that a manager with dozens of clients would naturally suggest ideas from other works when working with different writers.

is it avoidable? not sure. i guess it's possible.

with a manager with fewer clients, perhaps it wouldn't happen as often? hopefully, the smaller sized company would still have big contacts. i dunno.
                    I'm confused why you don't have a manager. Are you rep-less right now? Without reading you I feel like your work stands up, so, how the hell aren't you repped (if that's what you're saying)?

Btw - this is exactly what I mean when I say "I don't GET the industry now.- How are talented people NOT repped? WTF!?!?

Comment

Originally posted by Lahlowen View Post
                      Yeah I've definitely had experience with similar shady sh*t, but not from an agent - rather, a former manager. Had a very specific high concept comedy idea that he shot down and told me not to waste my time on, citing "branding" issues for me as a writer since I typically did darker fare at the time. A couple years later someone sold a spec with the exact same setup/concept to a major studio, and the writer had a side-eye worthy connection to that manager.

Another instance, I'd shown him a smaller indie drama with a very specific event that happened to the lead that we hadn't seen in any other recent film or tv series. He said the writing was great, but he blatantly refused to do anything with it, because it "wouldn't be worth his time" or mine (financially) to pursue any efforts on such a small project. A year and a half later, an episode of a hugely popular teen show featured the exact same event for one of its characters. I checked who wrote the episode. Guess what? The writer was repped by the same manager.

Finally, in a third instance, I pitched him a high concept sci-fi thriller based on a sort of 'real world science gone wrong' element. He felt it wasn't a strong enough scientific concept to warrant a film based around it. Not long after we stopped working together, I noticed he posted a link on his social media to an article about that very same scientific concept, indicating how it would make a good film.

There were many reasons we stopped working together, and all of these things proved why that was the right decision. He was obviously taking my ideas and giving them to people who were further along in their careers, because he couldn't do anything for a newbie (at the time) like me. I guess his shortcomings weren't about to prevent him from making money off of me and my ideas, one way or another - even though I made nothing.

LAME! Wtf!?

Comment

Yeah they didnt' steal our idea, they asked to steal it, so that's fun! But they might have stole it and given it to a producer after we left. More fun!!

When I was at WME we pitched a quick idea that manager really liked and agent liked too, but said Dan Fogelman another WME client "may be writing" so we couldn't do it. To my knowledge he didn't write it... but that's how stupid this business can get. If I wasn't repped, I would have just written it and maybe sold it. Can't sell what you don't write.

I had 2 specs go out with 2 different sets of reps and both specs were written BEFORE we signed.

My writing partner and I failed to develop material with managers that they approved to go out. It was so frustrating as you think it would be easier, since you are giving them the idea, then treatments and every step of the way they are behind you, then the read the script, don't love it enough and say "fix make better or do something else." We did better work w/o them...

And I don't think my story is unique. Now if we sold one of those specs, I bet it would be a 100% different ballgame. It changes everything.

So I don't have a rep right now and honestly I feel fine about it because of my experiences. I just need someone eventually to try to sell the work I do write.

Comment

Yeah they didnt' steal our idea, they asked to steal it, so that's fun! But they might have stole it and given it to a producer after we left. More fun!!

When I was at WME we pitched a quick idea that manager really liked and agent liked too, but said Dan Fogelman another WME client "may be writing" so we couldn't do it. To my knowledge he didn't write it... but that's how stupid this business can get. If I wasn't repped, I would have just written it and maybe sold it. Can't sell what you don't write.

I had 2 specs go out with 2 different sets of reps and both specs were written BEFORE we signed.

My writing partner and I failed to develop material with managers that they approved to go out. It was so frustrating as you think it would be easier, since you are giving them the idea, then treatments and every step of the way they are behind you, then the read the script, don't love it enough and say "fix make better or do something else." We did better work w/o them...

And I don't think my story is unique. Now if we sold one of those specs, I bet it would be a 100% different ballgame. It changes everything.

So I don't have a rep right now and honestly I feel fine about it because of my experiences. I just need someone eventually to try to sell the work I do write.

Geesh! I don't GET this industry whatsoever.

We all should start our own agency. Why not? This is the time to make a power move. I'm dead fukkin serious! I've sold sh!t for millions, it's not as hard as THEY pretend. Who's with me? Let's bounce. WTF is this mess? It shouldn't be this hard. IMO.

May God bless all of our scripts. The market is absurd right now! Fukking absurd!! I'm on OUR side! Ride or die, BRUH!

Comment

Wow. Starting to believe there may be as many sh*tty managers as agents. It's like this whole town is full of necessary evils. C'est la vie.

"I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Well half the managers started as agents...

Comment

Well half the managers started as agents...
                                Good point.
                                "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Working...
                                X