Selling a public domain spec while another film is already in development?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling a public domain spec while another film is already in development?

Hello. I have a spec based on a character in the public domain that I'm trying to push, but I recently found out there's a film in development based on the same character. I assume this drastically reduces the chances of making a sale on this script (maybe it eliminates the chance)? I'm not sure how far along they are or if that matters. I know they haven't started filming though.

Re: Selling a public domain spec while another film is already in development?

There's certainly no shortage of competing projects in Hollywood. A lot depends on what the other project is.

If the other project is just some script that a prodco optioned and still hasn't gotten off the ground, you're fine. If the competing project is Spielberg's next movie that's already casting, probably not. Look into the other one and see what kind of momentum they have.

Either way, you've already written it, so you might as well make your play.
    https://twitter.com/DavidCoggeshall
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1548597/

Comment

It hasn't stopped eleventy billion Robin Hood takes. Maybe you've found a clever way in like MARIAN. I think it depends.

Personally I'd shy away, but that's just me. Hell, Josh Singer spent forever on his Porgy and Bess take only to find out Spielberg was developing his own. And then Amblin bought it anyway, so you never know.
      Last edited by Satriales; 03-21-2019, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Interesting. Thanks. We'll see what happens I guess.

Comment

Working...
        X