Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenspotting

Hey guys. After last year's SDCC my friend Michael and I wrote a short film together inspired by the con and created over drinks in the hotel bar. My friend Marisa is producing it with Respect Films. We just launched our Kickstarter today.

It's a romantic comedy about finding love in the world of Doctor Who fandom.

I am all up in this video.

Please to enjoy, and if you are so inclined, contribute.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ke/tenspotting
    Chicks Who Script podcast

Re: Tenspotting

We added a couple of new rewards to the page. You can get a PDF of the script and a production diary I will be making during filming and post. We also posted the first two pages of the script on the Kickstarter page.

Take a look!

Comment

I'm giving this a bump because we're not funded yet.

Even if you're not into Doctor Who, you're passionate about something. This is a romcom about a woman who just wants to find a man who shares her love of a particular show. We can all relate to that.

This film will star Chloe Dykstra from Heroes of Cosplay, Tiffany Smith from a million geek shows including DC All Access, and Kit Williamson from Mad Men.

This is a world I live in - the world where it's okay to be a geek and to love geek culture. It's a setting we don't see much. The closest is probably The Guild.

We're working so hard to get this thing off the ground, but we still need the funds. Please share this with your friends and contribute if you can.

Comment

If you wanted a little friendly advertising/marketing advice...

You've got Chloe Dykstra on board who certainly has some cachet in the nerd world. But she's not in your kickstarter video. Honestly, she needs to be the first thing you see when you go to that page.

I saw that Chloe tweeted about the short but I feel like when people went to the page and didn't see her, they kinda lost interest, even though technically they knew she was involved.

Redoing the intro video with her might help. Or even just shoot a one minute scene with her.

Also asking her to post on reddit to promote since she also has a presence there (unless she did already?). I'd suggest she could an AMA while promoting the kickstarter on the side.

But I don't know what kind of relationship you have with her and if that's asking too much.

Anyway, just some friendly advice. Hope you guys make it to your goal!

Comment

Thank you for your advice. Chloe is very busy, but she figures into our plans for the duration of the Kickstarter, as do our other stars. Our producer has successfully funded a feature on Kickstarter and is handling our major decisions. I'll be sure to pass along your suggestions.

We will not be able to reshoot the video, so everyone will just have to suffer through my face instead of Chloe's.

Thanks for your support and your contribution!
          Last edited by emily blake; 08-14-2014, 09:18 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Just thought I'd add this, because it's relevant to the interests of many people here...

One of the rewards is a private tutorial from our cinematographer, Jordan Rennert (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2817667/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1) who works for the prodco putting our project together - Respect Films (http://respectfilms.com/).

Another reward is a private editing tutorial with our director, Patrick Meaney (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2732479/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1) who also works with Respect.

I'm also offering script notes. We're also offering an Associate Producer credit. Plus I'm gonna run around with a camera and film all the backstage stuff for a hilarious bonus video.

The video is less than 3 minutes long, so give it a look see. If you think I have ever contributed anything of value to this board, give me a few minutes of your time and maybe a few dollars. I'd appreciate it, and you'd get a cool short film out of it.

I wrote a blog post going into more detail about the story and why this project is important to me: http://bambookillers.blogspot.com/20...nspotting.html

Thanks, DDP! I may not be your moderator anymore, but I will always love you.
            Last edited by emily blake; 08-17-2014, 09:30 AM. Reason: Add blog link

Comment

Since you're in the home stretch perhaps try new ways to promote this. You say you have someone helping you with major decisions. But the following tips aren't major:

Your best marketing pool is those who have already committed to donate. Send a thank you note to everyone who pledged. Make it funny and light. Don't ask for more donations. Ask for only one thing: that they leave a comment on your KS page addressing, "Why I pledged for Tenspotting." Comments sections are powerful tools online.

If you haven't uploaded your promo video to YouTube yet, do so if KS allows. Since Google owns YouTube the search engine will likely bump you up in results. Plus -- there's a massive amount of Dr. Who videos on YouTube so I'm thinking fans are highly active there.

People support people for emotional reasons -- you make them laugh, you make them cry, you make them feel something. Add something to the home page about you -- why this project is important to you -- as a writer, as a filmmaker. Dig down, think about how you sincerely feel, and put yourself out there. Or, post something like this in your own comments section.

Also, use language for a wider audience when describing your project. You don't need to speak to geeks who go to Dr. Who cons. They automatically get it. You have to cast a wider net.

Frankly, I didn't "get" some of the terminology like "cosplay" and "convention culture" and "impeccable 10th Dr." What is convention culture for Dr. Who fans? Describe these things in entertaining ways. You say it's a fun world but as someone who is not in that world I have no idea why it's fun. Do something offbeat: add a glossary of Dr. Who terms.

With that said, consider switching the sample script pages to a later scene. Think in terms of movie trailers - height of the action, etc.

Hope this helps.
              Last edited by sc111; 08-22-2014, 06:56 AM.
              Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

It's great that you guys want to give me suggestions on how to run the Kickstarter. It really is, and I appreciate all this free advice. It's really helpful.

But what I can really use is some support. If DDPers would like to help, the best thing you can do is share this Kickstarter and back it. We're going to be doing a big marketing push right in the last week, but I'd love to see some backers from the DDP community. If anybody knows how hard I've worked to get here, it's you guys.

And if you want to know more about why I'm passionate about this, you can read my blog post: http://bambookillers.blogspot.com/20...nspotting.html

You don't really have to be a fan of Who to enjoy it. It's a story about dating - about choosing between waiting for perfection to come along and opening your heart to someone who may not have all the criteria on your list. Anyone can relate to that.

Anyway, thanks for all the support, guys! I'll make sure it's worth your while.

Comment

Emily, if I pledge the 35.00 ( Get a copy of the script ), can I get a copy of the script now, or do I have to wait for the January 2015 delivery date?

Also, I was thinking of first pledging the 100.00 for the script notes then offering that for the Halloween writing contest here on DDP, so that you'd be giving notes to someone other than myself. Is that doable?

Good Luck

Thanks

Mark

Comment

Unfortunately you have to wait for the delivery date on the script, but I'm not sure it would be all the way in January. That's the kind of thing we can get out before that. Since we haven't shot the film yet, we don't have a finalized version of the script. I wouldn't want to send out one that was missing final edits.

And absolutely you can give the read to anyone you like.

Thanks for your interest and I really appreciate your contribution! I'm super excited to make this film. I'm gonna spend a lot of the time fangirling over Chloe Dykstra.

Comment

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to our short! We officially reached our funding goal yesterday!

We're going for a stretch goal, though. I'm going to have to write an extra scene and as of right now I have no idea what that will be. Make my life more difficult! Help us reach $9500!

You have one day left to get on board this train, guys.

Comment

Emily, ChickenScratch, won the Halloween writing contest. So he/she will be getting my notes thing.

Hope all is going well with your film.

Mark

Comment

Thanks, Marc! We're shooting next weekend and I'm very excited.

I expect to be getting all those pages for notes very soon.

Comment

There's been a change in the winner thing.

ewtaylor, now gets the free read and notes.

Good Luck

Mark

Comment

Working...
                            X