Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Loading

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Writers & Scripts
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2010, 10:48 AM   #1
JibJib
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 473
Default ScriptShadow Priority Run

Someone is using my name on ScriptShadow to criticize Priority Run a script I really loved. What the fvcking hell is that about? Why do trolls do this? What have I ever done to anyone on this community?
JibJib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:59 AM   #2
SuperScribe
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,976
Default Re: ScriptShadow Priority Run

I was wondering about that. I noticed it a while ago and actually avoided your posts here because of it.

And then I spotted a few people whom I DO know, or at least know of, making nasty comments on ScriptShadow's site -- the types of comments those people don't make. Ever.

The problem is that there's no way to tell the difference if you don't know the user in question. In fact, the comment that drove me away from SS's site was a harsh criticism of John August by some dude named Synthian.

Until recently, I had no idea Synthian was a regular contributor on August's site and that the one on SS's site was a fake. (I normally don't read the comments on August's blog; only his entries.)

So what we have here are trolls who think it's funny to pretend to be other people in the comments section of SS's blog. I can tell you right now that I have no plans to ever reply there again, so if any of you see SuperScribe or Ralphy W (or, heaven forbid, my real name) there, know that it's not me.

ETA: Yes, I realize that should read "know that it's not I," but Jeff Lowell saved me from worrying about that particular grammar rule. At least in informal writing. So thanks, Jeff.

Last edited by SuperScribe : 11-21-2010 at 11:11 AM.
SuperScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:03 AM   #3
JibJib
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 473
Default Re: ScriptShadow Priority Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperScribe View Post
I was wondering about that. I noticed it a while ago and actually avoided your posts here because of it.

And then I spotted a few people whom I DO know, or at least know of, making nasty comments on ScriptShadow's site -- the types of comments those people don't make. Ever.

The problem is that there's no way to tell the difference if you don't know the user in question. In fact, the comment that drove me away from SS's site was a harsh criticism of John August by some dude named Synthian.

Until recently, I had no idea Synthian was a regular contributor on August's site and that the one on SS's site was a fake. (I normally don't read the comments on August's blog; only his entries.)

So what we have here are trolls who think it's funny to pretend to be other people in the comments section of SS's blog. I can tell you right now that I have no plans to ever reply there again, so if any of you see SuperScribe or Ralphy W (or, heaven forbid, my real name) there, know that it's not me.
I only noticed it today. Its insane, Terrance is one of the guys who has helped me out on DD...god its freaking annoying.
JibJib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:20 AM   #4
via negativa
Regular
 
via negativa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 370
Default Re: ScriptShadow Priority Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperScribe View Post
ETA: Yes, I realize that should read "know that it's not I," but Jeff Lowell saved me from worrying about that particular grammar rule. At least in informal writing. So thanks, Jeff.
Wait, what?
via negativa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:22 AM   #5
SuperScribe
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,976
Default Re: ScriptShadow Priority Run

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com...ing-verbs.aspx
SuperScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:25 AM   #6
via negativa
Regular
 
via negativa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 370
Default Re: ScriptShadow Priority Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperScribe View Post
I am on that exact link right now.

And I am pissed. PISSED.
via negativa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:31 AM   #7
SuperScribe
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,976
Default Re: ScriptShadow Priority Run

I think it mostly has to do with the idea that there's an unspoken "who is XYZ" any time you say, "It is I," "This is she," etc.

It is I (who is currently typing).

This is she (who is on the phone).


A similar situation arises with "than I."

Terrance is a better screenwriter than I (am).

Grammar sucks.
SuperScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:33 AM   #8
via negativa
Regular
 
via negativa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 370
Default Re: ScriptShadow Priority Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperScribe View Post
Grammar sucks.
Sh!t like this makes me hate myself.

I am going to spend the next hour and a half sulking.
via negativa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:41 AM   #9
SuperScribe
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,976
Default Re: ScriptShadow Priority Run

If it's any consolation, I feel the same way whenever I run into a grammar rule of which I wasn't aware.

ComicBent threw me for a loop recently with the whole "don't use a verbal as a verb" thing.

In other words, don't write, "Harry slams into the wall, breaking his nose" since "breaking his nose" is an action that follows "slams into the wall" (even if only by a millisecond).

Something like "Harry rubs his chin, thinking" is okay, though, because "thinking" modifies "rubs his chin."

On the other hand, there are far too many great writers and screenwriters who break that rule ("don't use a verbal as a verb") for me to worry about it. So don't you worry about it either.

(Sorry, Comic. )
SuperScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:44 AM   #10
via negativa
Regular
 
via negativa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 370
Default Re: ScriptShadow Priority Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperScribe View Post
ComicBent threw me for a loop recently with the whole "don't use a verbal as a verb" thing.

In other words, don't write, "Harry slams into the wall, breaking his nose" since "breaking his nose" is an action that follows "slams into the wall" (even if only by a millisecond).

Something like "Harry rubs his chin, thinking" is okay, though, because "thinking" modifies "rubs his chin."
I feel sick.
via negativa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro

eXTReMe Tracker