Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time Between Going Wide

Based on your experience, is there a general manager/agent timeframe that they would wait in shopping new material to the town after a spec sale.

Coming off my first spec deal in July, I'm pushing for a new project to go out in September. Would that be considered "too soon". Or should I dial it back a bit?
    Last edited by Steven L.; 08-09-2012, 10:10 AM.

Re: Time Between Going Wide

I see no reason to wait, if the script is ready.

Comment

Look at F. Scott Frazier's sales record over a very short time. That is the current gold standard, I'd say -- and maybe a record that won't be broken any time soon. A great script will pretty much always move. And if you're on a roll, you're on a roll.

Comment

Originally posted by Steven L. View Post
        Based on your experience, is there a general manager/agent timeframe that they would wait in shopping new material to the town after a spec sale.

Coming off my first spec deal in July, I'm pushing for a new project to go out in September. Would that be considered "too soon". Or should I dial it back a bit?
        I agree with the others--and memories are short, why get too far away from a moment when you were on everyone's mind? Follow it up.

Comment

Originally posted by SBScript View Post
          I agree with the others--and memories are short, why get too far away from a moment when you were on everyone's mind? Follow it up.
          I develop material pretty quickly, and wasn't sure if readers/execs from July would get annoyed at seeing my name on the title page of a new script in September. Like, "Didn't we just read this ****ing guy?". I know they always say, "we're open to reading anything you write". Just don't know if there is a respective time frame for hitting them up again.

Comment

Steven, if you're repped by an "A team" of multiple big agency folks and a top management firm, why are you looking for your answer here? Why aren't you asking your reps? Wouldn't they know better than us?

Comment

Originally posted by Steven L. View Post
              I develop material pretty quickly, and wasn't sure if readers/execs from July would get annoyed at seeing my name on the title page of a new script in September.
              Only if the script reads like it's unpolished. Everyone should love reading someone who consistently delivers the goods, whether years apart or just months.

Comment

My reps know I am determined to take the spec out to the market right after Labor Day. This is business questions and advice. I had a business question and know in this forum that professional writers, and reps, usually weigh in with their advice. Another thing I was hoping to find is maybe one writer chiming in saying, "we had to wait x weeks because _______"

Perhaps another client just had a spec out.
                Perhaps that last script was still in play.
                Perhaps a big OWA came up that slowed the marketing process.

Why must people be questioned when asking a simple question.

Comment

Originally posted by ATB View Post
                  Only if the script reads like it's unpolished. Everyone should love reading someone who consistently delivers the goods, whether years apart or just months.
                  Completely agree. Also, development folks have no idea how long you have been working on this project, they really won't care, as long as it's good. Just be clear with your reps that they feel it's ready to go.

Comment

Hi, Steven. I guess we just have a different sense of the agent relationship. You don't work for them. They work for you. That means in a good, open, communicative relationship, you get to call the shots -- UNLESS they counter with a sensible business case for not doing what you want. And if that were to happen, I'd defer to them, not ask here. But that's just me.

Comment

Respectfully: sometimes it's good to ask here first. As long as you're not asking for legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by jtwg50 View Post
                        Hi, Steven. I guess we just have a different sense of the agent relationship. You don't work for them. They work for you. That means in a good, open, communicative relationship, you get to call the shots -- UNLESS they counter with a sensible business case for not doing what you want. And if that were to happen, I'd defer to them, not ask here. But that's just me.
                        My agents are busy, rarely communicate with them. My manager is busy and I'm not breaking his flow. They already know my plan, as well as the director attached, all being super gung-ho on selling the project.

Once again, it was a question to get other views on that : Re - Sending out another *new spec shortly after one sold.

* New, as in written within 1-2 months after the other one hit the town.
                        Last edited by Steven L.; 08-10-2012, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X