Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Managers and Development

How common is it for a manager to sign a new writer and then refuse to send out the writer's work?

I've been reading about this a lot lately.

Re: Managers and Development

Dude.
    Well, first of all, it doesn't make much sense for a rep to go to all of the trouble to sign someone (or just take them on) and then not put out their work.
    It is possible the writer's project just didn't turn out the way the rep wanted it to.
    Or, he may have so many other clients, he just doesn't have time.
    But from a rep's position, it isn't the way to make money.
    If I was that writer, I'd ask the rep why not and if it was for the wrong reason, I'd move on.
    Reps are in this game to make money and they do it with the writers who make money. If you're not one that is making $$$, it make sense your work isn't going out the door.
    FWIW.
    The Cole

Comment

Sometimes a manager will sign a writer on the strength of his/her writing, and not so much because the writer has a marketable script. It seems to happen less and less these days (many/most reps won't touch you unless you have a script they think they can sell), but it happens.

The plan in this scenario usually involves the writer and the manager working together to develop a script that's more commercially viable. Sometimes it works out. And sometimes it doesn't.

Comment

I don't have a manager. Just trying to understand how it works.

Thanks.

Comment

I'm jaded, and I just heard a story from a working writer friend of mine that shocked me. A well known management company (mentioned here often) apparently works this way: they sign TONS of writers, and get them all speccing new ideas and/or rewriting scripts that they think have promise. If one out of twenty pan out? Great, they take it out. The rest? The script never goes out, and the manager tries to convince the writer to write a new spec. If the writer raises too much of a fuss, fuck it. There are ten more out there.

It costs them nothing, and writers line up to do it. It makes sense - they have a manager at a legit company that has sales...

But it's obviously fucked. No, I'm not going to name the company, because it's hearsay. But I trust my source.

Comment

Uh oh...

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
              I'm jaded, and I just heard a story from a working writer friend of mine that shocked me. A well known management company (mentioned here often) apparently works this way: they sign TONS of writers, and get them all speccing new ideas and/or rewriting scripts that they think have promise. If one out of twenty pan out? Great, they take it out. The rest? The script never goes out, and the manager tries to convince the writer to write a new spec. If the writer raises too much of a fuss, fuck it. There are ten more out there.

It costs them nothing, and writers line up to do it. It makes sense - they have a manager at a legit company that has sales...

But it's obviously fucked. No, I'm not going to name the company, because it's hearsay. But I trust my source.
              Not Zero Gravity?!

Comment

Let's name them one by one, I'll say "no," and then when you hit the one, I'll say "I can't answer."

I'm really not going to say. But it's a place with huge legit clients and credits. Apparently at the lower levels, they just use hopeful writers as a spec farm. It's horrible, but it's not stupid.

Comment

Benderspink

Comment

I don't even think they're in the management game besides the high-level ones they've got. The only guy who seemed to be new and an actual writer's manager (not a producer in disguise) moved to a different company.

It's a shame because they built their foundation on being writer's reps first and producers second, but when you have the credits and clout they have, it makes sense.

Comment

Circle of Confusion.

Comment

If it's them (C of C), they named themselves with perfect anticipation of that business model! I guess same could be said for ZG, with slightly less clarity.

Comment

Ccd!

Comment

as someone who has never had a manager (i think im cheap, and the ones who courted me didn't seem to add 15% value) this is just how the business has always felt to me. i was signed by a big agency, have had the same agents for 10 years, and only feel as safe as my latest sale. they wont send out things they dont believe in and i rarely override that because in general, i think they know more about the marketplace than i do.
                            its not cozy, but its life, and its worked out for us.

reading this tho i sortof crave a handholding type of manager. that would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by holly View Post
                              as someone who has never had a manager (i think im cheap, and the ones who courted me didn't seem to add 15% value) this is just how the business has always felt to me. i was signed by a big agency, have had the same agents for 10 years, and only feel as safe as my latest sale. they wont send out things they dont believe in and i rarely override that because in general, i think they know more about the marketplace than i do.
                              its not cozy, but its life, and its worked out for us.

reading this tho i sortof crave a handholding type of manager. that would be nice.
                              I hold hands. I listen to complaints about the government. I pay for all meals and drinks. I can get you upgrades on most domestic flights. I can teach you to surf. I know when to leave you alone. I am super laid back with you, but an ******* with everyone else. I have perspective. I just took my first yoga class. I make a mean matzoh ball soup. It's all true. I have to go and read now.

Comment

Working...
                              X