Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > About the Craft > Screenwriting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2007, 06:08 AM   #1
LisaJohnTre
New User

Default Day-night-later-continuous?

In writing my first screenplay, all of my sluglines went DAY or NIGHT, even if it was the same day or night in the scene. I wanted to change that for my second and now have starting using CONTINUOUS if the scenes are in the same day or night. I've never used LATER. Am I using the CONTINUOUS correctly, or will that confuse the reader?
LisaJohnTre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:59 AM   #2
dpaterso

Default Re: Day-night-later-continuous?

Big shrug. What was wrong with DAY and NIGHT?

-Derek
Old 12-19-2007, 07:26 AM   #3
LisaJohnTre
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaterso View Post
Big shrug. What was wrong with DAY and NIGHT?

-Derek
Nothing. Actually, I like just using them fine. I'm just wondering if my script wouldn't be professional enough unless I used other than DAY and NIGHT. I like just using the two, but I see others with LATER, MOMENTS LATER, etc.
LisaJohnTre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:27 AM   #4
Joaneasley

You need a different slugline when you go from one place to another, or when you change from day to night.

But when you go from INT. LIVING ROOM - DAY to another scene that is still INT. LIVING ROOM - DAY, the only difference is that time has passed. Most writers use LATER instead of repeating the exact same slugline two or more times in a row.
Joaneasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:32 AM   #5
ComicBent

Quote:
but I see others with LATER, MOMENTS LATER, etc.
The DAY or NIGHT part of the Scene Heading is a production element: it tells whoever is making the film that the scene needs to be scheduled as a NIGHT scene or a DAY scene.

Many writers use MORNING or AFTERNOON or LATER or CONTINUOUS ... but these are really for the benefit of the reader. From a production standpoint, DAY or NIGHT is fine.

The problem with CONTINUOUS is that if you move the scene to a different place in the story, what does CONTINOUS mean? You obviously have to change CONTINUOUS to something else.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." ComicBent.
ComicBent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:33 AM   #6
suzeaa

I say skip it if it's the same scene and so obvious you'd have to be coo-coo to miss it. And only use 'continuous' if you MUST. It's such a drag.

Like this:

INT: THE BROWNSTONE - DAY

BEDROOM

They wake up Blah blah blah

BATHROOM

Get ready for work Blah blah blah

FOYER

Mary gets her purse blah blah blah

EXT: THE BROWNSTONE

As Mary goes out her door, she stops and answers her cell blah blah blah

See what I mean? It's leaner and let's the story flow easier without all the stops and you still know exactly what's going on. When Mary goes from inside the foyer to outside her house and hasn't changed clothes or anything, DAY and CONTINUOUS are not needed. Also, once inside the house you don't need to keep adding INT: THE BROWNSTONE if it's obvious, just the once. You can test your clarity by having a smartypants friend read it and see if they completely understand what's happening. Use your best judgment.

Once you leave the Brownstone and come back, then INT or EXT and DAY/NIGHT is needed again.

I have a feeling that 'continuous' has the cooties right now in the screenplay world! lol Even 'moments later' is better, and only if you have to.
suzeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:42 AM   #7
cynicide

Write it however you wish; it won't make a lick of difference. Read a lot of screenplays & see what works for you.
cynicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:02 AM   #8
suzeaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicide View Post
Write it however you wish; it won't make a lick of difference. Read a lot of screenplays & see what works for you.
It makes a difference if you tire out your reader and they can't get past page ten.
suzeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:56 AM   #9
cynicide

Really? Is it that exhausting to read sluglines? I would be very suprised if a reader has ever said, "The story's good, but if only they had used mini-slugs. Oh well. Pass!"
cynicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:56 AM   #10
ylekot43

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzeaa View Post
I say skip it if it's the same scene and so obvious you'd have to be coo-coo to miss it. And only use 'continuous' if you MUST. It's such a drag.

Like this:

INT: THE BROWNSTONE - DAY

BEDROOM

They wake up Blah blah blah

BATHROOM

Get ready for work Blah blah blah

FOYER

Mary gets her purse blah blah blah

EXT: THE BROWNSTONE

As Mary goes out her door, she stops and answers her cell blah blah blah

See what I mean? It's leaner and let's the story flow easier without all the stops and you still know exactly what's going on. When Mary goes from inside the foyer to outside her house and hasn't changed clothes or anything, DAY and CONTINUOUS are not needed. Also, once inside the house you don't need to keep adding INT: THE BROWNSTONE if it's obvious, just the once. You can test your clarity by having a smartypants friend read it and see if they completely understand what's happening. Use your best judgment.

Once you leave the Brownstone and come back, then INT or EXT and DAY/NIGHT is needed again.

I have a feeling that 'continuous' has the cooties right now in the screenplay world! lol Even 'moments later' is better, and only if you have to.
Agreed -- the goal is to let the eyes fall down the page.