Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2007, 05:11 PM   #1
rlb2252
User

Default Obvious Duds Greenlit Anyway--Why?

Why do some obvious doomed-to-failure films manage to get green lit in the first place? I donít mean the ones that started off Ok but were somehow butchered during the development, rewrite, star pampering, or editing portion of the film making process.

I really mean a film that had little box office appeal from the get go.

Letís take a recent film like Marie Antoinette. I havenít seen it. Only tiny portions. Have no idea whether it was even any good. But what I do suspect is that it stood zero chance of attracting a single teenager on a Saturday night.

Who might its target audience be and is that audience actually one that ponies up to the ticket counter with any degree of dependability.

A 40 Million budget, according to IMDB. It managed to get back about half of that during its theatrical run.

This film couldnít have been made for mass consumption. As a 2 million dollar indy, maybe I could imagine it, but 40 million--what were they thinking. Against what kind of competition would a movie goer opt for this film.

Even with a hot director (Sofia Coppola), one reasonably hot star (Kirsten Dunst), somebody somewhere in the power food chain had to be thinking this subject matter doesnít automatically conjure up huge, line-around-the corner, waiting-in-the freezing-rain-to get-in box office.

So the question is why are obvious box office duds green lit?
rlb2252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 06:01 PM   #2
Moviequill

Default Re: Obvious Duds Greenlit Anyway--Why?

she added in the modern alternative rock score specifically to appeal to the youth, so I am sure she is as baffled as anyone
Old 12-18-2007, 06:06 PM   #3
hscope

My daughter (12) and all her friends were hanging out to see this film, but I don't know how they heard about it.

However, the movie turned out to be pretty pedestrian and tedious, so I'd say it was scuttled by bad word of mouth rather than a lack of interest.

Coppola had a very high profile after Lost in Translation, so it's likely she could have got pretty much anything green lit.
hscope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 06:52 PM   #4
rlb2252
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hscope View Post
My daughter (12) and all her friends were hanging out to see this film, but I don't know how they heard about it.

However, the movie turned out to be pretty pedestrian and tedious, so I'd say it was scuttled by bad word of mouth rather than a lack of interest.

Coppola had a very high profile after Lost in Translation, so it's likely she could have got pretty much anything green lit.

What was it that got them hyped about the film, Kirsten Dundst?

There are plenty of other films that would seem to scare the average customer away.

My theory: If the preview canít even get you hyped--where the promoters have two hours of film from which to extract a compelling thirty seconds--exercise all due caution before spending your money.
rlb2252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 06:59 PM   #5
Beeblebrox
New User

Quote:
Why do some obvious doomed-to-failure films manage to get green lit in the first place?
Because while it may seem obvious to you AFTER the fact, executives, investors and filmmakers are not gifted with the power of hindsight.

You have one of the hottest young filmmakers working, a hot star, a period costume drama with a new twist (at the time films like Pride & Prejudice are huge sensations). And a reasonable budget as far as studio budgets go. While it may not be a guaranteed hit (and nothing ever is), it's also not an "obvious dud."
Beeblebrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:08 AM   #6
kidcharlemagne

Quote:
Hollywood follows the heat so I can concur with this view as to why it was greenlit.

I thought it was stunning visually but the dialogue sucked.

"What is your greatest ambition? To become immortal and then die." - Breathless
kidcharlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:39 AM   #7
suzeaa

I laughed when I saw the trailer. Clashing genres a la "A Knight's Tail' makes me want to vom.

Why did the remake of 'Bewitched' get greenlit? Or "The Pink Panther'? Or 'Get Smart'? Haven't 'they' realised that babyboomers love something from their past because of the actors from the original rather than the set-up?

I'm waiting for someone to remake 'All in the Family' so I can kill myself and get on with the journey of my soul.

And FFS, WHY is Steve Martin making TWO MORE Pink Panthers? The first one was a total stinker, and he's going ahead with TWO MORE!!!! Alzheimers? My God, the guy used to be so hip, and he even writes other stuff well (never saw 'Shopgirl' but at least it sounds respectable). Who would put a dime into TWO MORE GUARANTEED TANKERS?????
suzeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 01:00 AM   #8
Gillyflower Cooms

Quote:
WHY is Steve Martin making TWO MORE Pink Panthers? The first one was a total stinker, and he's going ahead with TWO MORE!!!! Alzheimers? My God, the guy used to be so hip, and he even writes other stuff well (never saw 'Shopgirl' but at least it sounds respectable). Who would put a dime into TWO MORE GUARANTEED TANKERS?????
Yeah...whatever happened to the Great Flydini?...Genius!!! but the Pink Panther movie made like 150 mil worldwide. It definitely didn't tank.
Gillyflower Cooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 01:06 AM   #9
Beeblebrox
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzeaa View Post
And FFS, WHY is Steve Martin making TWO MORE Pink Panthers? The first one was a total stinker, and he's going ahead with TWO MORE!!!! Alzheimers? My God, the guy used to be so hip, and he even writes other stuff well (never saw 'Shopgirl' but at least it sounds respectable). Who would put a dime into TWO MORE GUARANTEED TANKERS?????
And yet you saw The Pink Panther and skipped Shopgirl, and you wonder why they are more likely to more of the former? The Pink Panther was a huge hit movie, so it's not a good example for this thread. Ironically, Shopgirl is the one that didn't do well. But again, hindsight is something you have the benefit of that those who greenlight movies don't.
Beeblebrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:35 AM   #10
cvolante

Doesn't it make you feel like all your cool ideas are totally worthless and that crappy stupid idea that you have sitting in your drawer that you can see as a star-and-a-half movie is probably the one someone wants to buy? Gag.
cvolante is offline   Reply With Quote