Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2014, 11:16 AM   #1
fallenangel
User

Default Completed script + Spec Trailer - What next?

Guys:
Been a DD'er for a few years now and reading up on priceless words of wisdom for even longer. Here is my dilemna:

Wrote, produced and directed a genre (horror) indie feature in 2005. Got decent distribution deal (DVD, Streaming including Amazon & Netflix, both Domestic and INTL) and almost broke even. Almost.

Fast forward. 2014. Wrote a 'dark drama' and struggled to gain interest. Finally, decided to create a 'spec trailer' as a deperate attempt for people to 'see' what I mean. Spent a few months in NYC, got it done. Turned out fairly decent. At least, that's what I'd like to believe. Again, concept trailer with struggling actors.

Question - How do I get this 'spec trailer' in front of folks that matter?

I am convinced that if the 'right' people see the spec and read just as few pages of the script, they'll be sold.

Any input will be highly appreciated!

fallen
fallenangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:10 PM   #2
IGetsBuckets
User

Default Re: Completed script + Spec Trailer - What next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenangel View Post
I am convinced that if the 'right' people see the spec and read just as few pages of the script, they'll be sold.
You have to hustle. You have to put in the work.

Research the best next steps. Every possibility. Scour the internet for stories/interviews on how others have done it in the past. Make sure you're not missing any avenue that could potentially help connect you with the one person (or more) that believes in you and your work. Put your script up on the Blacklist site. Enter Trackingb / TrackingBoard / Nicholl. Put your spec trailer on vimeo and youtube. Market it around. Post your trailer on relevant forums. Etc.

If you truly believe in your script, and think you got the goods, hustle like crazy to get it out there.

Make sure while you're doing all this, you're querying your script every single day. And I don't mean send like 10 queries a day for a week and stop if you don't get any interest. Send 10-20 queries a day for a couple months (or however long it takes for you to get interest). If you truly believe you have a great script, don't worry about the rejections. You just need that one "yes" and you're golden.

And I'd focus on trying to get a rep over a producer (but try both). Agents and managers will be the ones that are fighting for you, selling you and your work to the right people, and getting you into any room they believe can get your movie made. And they're the ones that will help you not just for this script you have, but long-term for your career.

I was in a similar position less than a year ago.

Well, a bit worse off than you, since I had no credits, no contacts, and just one script. And it was a small character drama. And it was a script that I didn't want to sell on spec, because it was a very personal story I wanted to direct. So at the time, I was a first-time writer/director, with no shorts and no other scripts to back it up. Pretty much as unattractive a package you can put together for a rep.

Yet all the above doesn't matter if you find the one person (or two people in my case) that believe in your script/voice and want to rep you.

And it doesn't matter how they find you or your script. I got repped off queries (but trust me, I tried everything just to make sure I covered all my bases). The best reps are the ones that believe in you 100%. They don't just believe in your script. They don't just believe they can get you a sale. They believe in you and your career. They will f*cking hustle to get you in all the rooms, meet the right people, and be your partners in crime for the long haul.

Anyway, I hope the above helps you in someway. Just realized how long this post is now. I might have gotten a bit carried away, because I know how it feels to be in your position.

Short version of all the above -- if you got the goods, you need 2 things:
1) Confidence to put your work out there
2) Passion to persevere

If you have that, then you'll find the right people. Good luck!
IGetsBuckets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:37 PM   #3
Haneke
New User

Fallen angel - I'm in a similar position as you were in, and I'm curious as to how things went for you...

My horror screenplay won the grand prize in the Script Pipeline competition, and it also got decent Black List scores (7s/8s), - but no one is biting. I have also decided to shoot a spec trailer/teaser to get people to "see what I mean".

Questions for you:

Could you elaborate on how the trailer went? How did you decide what to shoot, how long did it end up being, what did you shoot on, budget, and more importantly... did it help?

Thank you!
Haneke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 02:55 PM   #4
nativeson

Quote:
Guys:
Been a DD'er for a few years now and reading up on priceless words of wisdom for even longer. Here is my dilemna:

Wrote, produced and directed a genre (horror) indie feature in 2005. Got decent distribution deal (DVD, Streaming including Amazon & Netflix, both Domestic and INTL) and almost broke even. Almost.

Fast forward. 2014. Wrote a 'dark drama' and struggled to gain interest. Finally, decided to create a 'spec trailer' as a deperate attempt for people to 'see' what I mean. Spent a few months in NYC, got it done. Turned out fairly decent. At least, that's what I'd like to believe. Again, concept trailer with struggling actors.

fallen
IMO, someone with your experience may benefit from hitting up folks at AFM and the like (though the next go round isn't for a year). In other words, funding and distribution folks. If you're less inclined to control things, perhaps pitching to prodcos? There's a new, online equivalent of the old Hollywood creative directory that's an alternative to Imdb pro, but also has a membership fee: the Creative Index. You may consider that as well. And then there's always doing the film circuit. Either way, it's tough. I read a stat that only 2% of indies get distribution.

https://thecreativeindex.com/auth/lo...ontacts%2Fgrid
nativeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 04:16 PM   #5
ScreenwriterGal
New User

Thank you for sharing your stories with us.

Truth be told -- many successful writers have been rejected time and time again to be accepted, so don't give up KEEP GOING

Think of all the successful people who have been rejected thousands of times only to be accepted once.

Do NOT give up --- even if you have to work on other things -- find time to continue plugging -- something will come through.

Also, you may want to find someone online who had success using a spec trailer and get in touch to see if he or she can offer any pointers.

You never know.
ScreenwriterGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:47 PM   #6
asteven50
Regular

Quote:
Guys:

fallen

Put it on vimeo (password protected) and send a link with your query emails to producers.