Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Films
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2015, 01:20 PM   #1
Ronaldinho

Default Trainwreck

A little surprised that there's no thread on this here. Or maybe not.

I saw it at a packed Academy screening. That big a crowd usually shows up only when a film is going to make major waves. Everybody seemed to really love it.

I thought it was great. Very funny, surprisingly touching. One could probably nit-pick some of the plot development near the end of the second act, but to do so would be to miss the forrest for the trees. The film works really well, in a loosey-goosey sort of way that touches a lot of rom-com tropes without belaboring them.

Anyway, I recommend it. Schumer is a really fun comedic voice.
Ronaldinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 03:30 PM   #2
Celtic1
User

Default Re: Trainwreck

saw it too. Wanted to love it, but only liked it. Thought Amy did a good job, but man...Tilda Swinton..that is an actress. She can do it all. I liked the Cena stuff...that theater scene?
It is better than a lot of rom-coms. It got a little too sketch like at times and i guess maybe that's where i got pulled out of loving it. But definitely some funny moments.
Celtic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:00 AM   #3
ricther
Regular

Saw it and loved it. I mean yeah, I felt a few scenes ran on a little too long to milk the comedy, but everything else was so good that it didn't bother me. Amy Schumer was great, and the movie definitely had a lot of heart too. Thought surprisingly that John Cena had the funniest scenes. That theater scene was hilarious.
ricther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:12 PM   #4
roscoegino

I expected Amy to be funny and she was, but John Cena was hilarious. Solid acting by Colin Quinn too. But this film underlines a problem or two I've always had with Apatow's comedies -- over length and interruptions in pacing. One too many lulls kept it from hitting the overall bullseye as it should have. That said, Amy's script did avoid a lot (but not all) rom com cliches that normally make me uneasy. I think the best is yet to come for her.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:38 PM   #5
Bulldog
User

A little too uneven for my tastes to all out love it. Veered from comedy to drama(edy) with little warning. But overall, time well spent. Rather enjoyable to watch a comic I wasn't crazy about initially truly blossom.

And yes, the Cena scenes will live on in movie lore.

It's ruff bein' me.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 04:02 PM   #6
Buzz2074
Regular

I read this script a while ago, finally saw it.

I think it's great that this movie got made. Why can't the majors do more of these lower mid-range quirky movies, spend not that much, and hope for moderate return on investment?
Buzz2074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 02:19 PM   #7
Takeshiro
User

Saw it yesterday with my wife.

Loved Cena and James. Jon Glaser and Randall Park are criminally underused. It was a tad too long and predictable.

Overall, If there is something I could say about the movie, is that I strongly dislike Amy Shummer's Humor. The same strength I despise Appatow Humor.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:41 PM   #8
JoeBanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeshiro View Post
Overall, If there is something I could say about the movie, is that I strongly dislike Amy Shummer's Humor. The same strength I despise Appatow Humor.
Did you not know it was an Amy Schumer/Judd Apatow movie beforehand?
JoeBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 03:10 PM   #9
Takeshiro
User

A Schumer Flick, yes, not an Appatow one. I knew Amy Schumer by name (outside of the US, she's not known), watched a few inside amy schumer before and after the flick. Like Broad city : not for me.