Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Agents, Lawyers & Managers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2017, 03:13 PM   #1
Hollywood Virgin
New User

Default Manager or Agent First?

Hi - I am new at this business but have already had two producers attempt to steal my stories. I am seeking the collaboration of an Oscar winning or Oscar Worthy scriptwriter for 2 ridiculously cool films. One is historically important, particularly in light of our current joke of a President, and the other is simply the coolest man that ever lived. Both films are completely original, and I have rights and particpation of the families. So I am approaching my Dream List of Producers and/or scriptwriters, but no one will look at treatments unless they are introduced by an agent. So do I attempt to get an agent first or a manager? I have already registered both treatments with the WGA, after the attempted rape of a Hollywood Virgin, and I swear that my days on Wall Street dealing with junk bonds (and handing the icky current #notmypresident his bankruptcy papers after he tried to pick me up at a nightclub) are a pillar of honor compared to previously mentioned encounters in Hollywood. I give excellent phone, and people who have offered 20 minutes have ended up enjoying these stories for 2-4 hours. So this forum appears to be an insider's treasure trove of how to maneuver this process, and any scriptwriter who can deliver me to my Dream List should give me a call. Thank you in advance for any guidance you can send my way - I am documenting the entire process of getting these two projects to screen. The attempted theft of my masterpieces has given me nothing but strength and resolve that I am sitting on sheer brilliance and my Dead Men Talking deserve perfect scripts, and perfectly told stories. Thank you, JP - aka Hollywood Virgin
Hollywood Virgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 05:23 PM   #2
StoryWriter

Default Re: Manager or Agent First?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Virgin View Post
Hi - I am new at this business but have already had two producers attempt to steal my stories. I am seeking the collaboration of an Oscar winning or Oscar Worthy scriptwriter for 2 ridiculously cool films. One is historically important, particularly in light of our current joke of a President, and the other is simply the coolest man that ever lived. Both films are completely original, and I have rights and particpation of the families. So I am approaching my Dream List of Producers and/or scriptwriters, but no one will look at treatments unless they are introduced by an agent. So do I attempt to get an agent first or a manager? I have already registered both treatments with the WGA, after the attempted rape of a Hollywood Virgin, and I swear that my days on Wall Street dealing with junk bonds (and handing the icky current #notmypresident his bankruptcy papers after he tried to pick me up at a nightclub) are a pillar of honor compared to previously mentioned encounters in Hollywood. I give excellent phone, and people who have offered 20 minutes have ended up enjoying these stories for 2-4 hours. So this forum appears to be an insider's treasure trove of how to maneuver this process, and any scriptwriter who can deliver me to my Dream List should give me a call. Thank you in advance for any guidance you can send my way - I am documenting the entire process of getting these two projects to screen. The attempted theft of my masterpieces has given me nothing but strength and resolve that I am sitting on sheer brilliance and my Dead Men Talking deserve perfect scripts, and perfectly told stories. Thank you, JP - aka Hollywood Virgin
In your case, I'd suggest accepting your Oscars and all your other awards first, then working your way back to getting an agent and a manager.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:25 PM   #3
KitchonaSteve
Regular

Since you have the rights secured, I would suggest engaging an entertainment attorney who would be able to approach those writers, producers, and directors on your wishlist either directly or through their reps. With rights to IP you shouldn't have a problem finding a good lawyer to rep your projects.

Best of luck.

-Steve Trautmann
3rd & Fairfax: The WGAW Podcast
KitchonaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:06 PM   #4
SBdeb

Ha ha.
SBdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:04 AM   #5
TheConnorNoden

TheConnorNoden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:44 AM   #6
DangoForth

Ken Levine, you're not fooling us
DangoForth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:10 AM   #7
EdFury

Quote:
Wow. Just wow.
EdFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:10 AM   #8
CrissCross
Regular

A couple bits of advice.

Everyone in Hollywood (or for that matter your local Starbucks) thinks they have the next Academy Award winning script. So I'd pump the brakes a bit on that front.

Also, never use the phrase "I give good phone"... sounds really creepy.

Spend a couple bucks and try Virtualpitchfest.com and see what kind of response you get. Then again, no one will probably touch you without a script written.

Ron
CrissCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 06:49 PM   #9
jmpowell7
User

A person who has never consumed alcohol can attend an AA meeting and take possession of a six-month chip to strong applause.
A healthy person can rush into an emergency room complaining of terrible problems.
And this. They all want the same thing.
jmpowell7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 05:05 AM   #10
DavidK

Quote:
Hi - I am new at this business ...
That's hard to believe, but you'll find managers more willing than agents to entertain people who give good phone. There are a lot of people on this board who have real experience in the industry and may be able to offer advice with specific queries. However I should advise that this might not be the best place to identify Oscar-winning writers willing to collaborate with you at such short notice and that line of inquiry might be better directed within the main Hollywood studios.