Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2020, 06:09 PM   #1
Friday

Default Effect of the Coronavirus

Supposedly, the new Bond film has been pushed back 7 months and it's costing them at least 30 millions to do so. I am not sure how this affects the theater business. Are people afraid to go to movie theaters now? I know it's hit the cruise and airline industry hard. People that write in public places, are you staying home now? I noticed that most of the bottled water and sanitizers are picked clean from the shelves. For those that live in Los Angeles, how does that affect going out to eat, shopping and doing everyday things that you never thought twice about? I admit I felt a little paranoid this week after all the news coverage.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 11:00 PM   #2
JoeBanks

Default Re: Effect of the Coronavirus

China basically has been shut down for over a month. Italy is next. Iran is apparently even worse than both of them.

We haven't been testing potential new patients here in the US at scale and the virus has likely been present from overseas travel and contacts since January, and as far as anyone can tell we're still not testing on the scale of a country like South Korea (10k a day, we have barely sent 10k kits out across the whole United States). So even the cases that are popping up in states and cities everywhere now that the 14-day incubation period has passed are likely just the tip of a much bigger iceberg.

SXSW canceled for the first time ever is the big fat canary in the coal mine. Public spaces everywhere are going to have to be sealed off once the full scope of infection becomes truly apparent
JoeBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 11:19 PM   #3
Southern_land

Anyone got a good pandemic script...

Southern_land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 11:50 PM   #4
Friday

It's a little confusing. Are we to avoid every day things like going shopping, writing in coffee shops, going to the movies, going to eat at a restaurant? The thing that's scary is the community spread...the cases that popped with people who did not travel or knowingly come in contact with people from those 5 countries. I am not too clear on where the cases are in LA and what areas to avoid. The elbow bump is silly because you still breathe in the air by coming close to that person to bump.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:57 AM   #5
TigerFang

What we need is Bruce Willis to pull a Twelve Monkeys maneuver and travel backward in Time to the mad scientist who developed this curse to stop it before it started.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:10 AM   #6
Friday

20/20 theorized it came from Bats.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:12 AM   #7
Friday

It's hard not to be alarmed when every night the news devotes half it's broadcast to the corona virus. I switched through 5 channels and they all devoted their half hour to it, with a little car chase and weather sprinkled in.
Old 03-08-2020, 09:51 AM   #8
Done Deal Pro
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
For those that live in Los Angeles, how does that affect going out to eat, shopping and doing everyday things that you never thought twice about? I admit I felt a little paranoid this week after all the news coverage.
For whatever little it is worth, we went out for drinks and to dinner last night and the restaurant was packed -- granted it's a great/popular spot, but still. We've also been out running errands for various things. We will go to a museum today as well. Dinner out again tonight.

Mainly, we just try to be as smart about it as we can. Use elbows when possible to open doors or to push elevator buttons. Wash hands after being out or even while out on occasion. Don't try to touch our faces much while being out and after touching things. It's generally on my mind but can't stop living and doing some things at least.

It's sad situation which we certainly hope for everyone's sake won't get any worse. Also, hopefully some kind of cure, vaccine or whatever will be found as soon as they can -- though that sounds like a year or so away. But it hasn't gotten to a point where we feel like we have to stay in no matter what. Obviously, there hasn't been an announcement or recommendation like that yet.

Big events with tons of people all crammed into a tight space -- basketball games, conferences, etc. -- or plane rides/flights would make me a bit nervous. For the rest, use what caution you can as with anything (flu, etc.) like this.

Last edited by Done Deal Pro : 03-08-2020 at 10:10 AM.
Done Deal Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 01:28 PM   #9
KitchonaSteve
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
Big events with tons of people all crammed into a tight space -- basketball games, conferences, etc. -- or plane rides/flights would make me a bit nervous. For the rest, use what caution you can as with anything (flu, etc.) like this.
I agree.

Anecdotally, There was a SUPERNATURAL fan convention in Vegas this weekend, and one of the stars threatened to not show up, but was kind of shamed into it by other stars who did. Tickets had been purchased well in advance so the fans were almost certainly going to attend, but these types of conventions have a history of stars/celebrities backing out at the last minute. They did, however, change the photo-op procedure to limit or eliminate physical contact.

So even with the threat of contracting a virus that is being fear mongered it didn't seem to affect a popular fan convention. My wife works at the company that puts on the conventions so there is some concern about future conventions.

-Steve Trautmann
3rd & Fairfax: The WGAW Podcast
KitchonaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 06:36 PM   #10
Friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
For whatever little it is worth, we went out for drinks and to dinner last night and the restaurant was packed -- granted it's a great/popular spot, but still. We've also been out running errands for various things. We will go to a museum today as well. Dinner out again tonight.

Mainly, we just try to be as smart about it as we can. Use elbows when possible to open doors or to push elevator buttons. Wash hands after being out or even while out on occasion. Don't try to touch our faces much while being out and after touching things. It's generally on my mind but can't stop living and doing some things at least.

It's sad situation which we certainly hope for everyone's sake won't get any worse. Also, hopefully some kind of cure, vaccine or whatever will be found as soon as they can -- though that sounds like a year or so away. But it hasn't gotten to a point where we feel like we have to stay in no matter what. Obviously, there hasn't been an announcement or recommendation like that yet.

I hear ya. I was of that mindset up until this week. Before, I could rationalize that it was something that was an overseas problem. The news coverage does seem to have worn me down a bit. I have noticed people react differently now. They are like scrubbing their hands for a minute, making the bathroom wash sink have a longer wait. Before, people would just rinse in two seconds. Italy has quarantined 16 million people, which is like a quarter of their population. I am still confused as to the virus. Some say 14 days quarantine, but other scientists have pointed out 20 days. And then, there's how it's transmitted. If a person is in the room and is breathing out all those particles, how safe is it for people. It's also a perception thing. Just the fear has already gotten studios to move film dates or shut down production or stall production. Airlines will probably take a 113 billion loss. And restaurants in certain areas are now ghost towns.