Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2020, 08:22 AM   #151
catcon

Default Re: Effect of the Coronavirus

And ANOTHER great thing about America (past, present and future) is that they have that cool "Independent" status down there. No such animal up here in Canada. (I do distinguish that from starting a separate small issue-centric political party, which is precisely how we lead to 33.1 percent PMs like we have up here.)

Anyway. What I mean is, you don't have to be either a "l"iberal or a "c"onservative in the States. Becoming a "registered independent" is the first thing I'm going to do if I ever became a citizen.

(I mean, how else do you get the libs and conservatives to really work for your vote. If you sign up with them, they actually stop trying so hard because they know they already got ya'. That's why Indies have such a strong voice down there; Canada just hasn't figured that out yet.)
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:00 AM   #152
jmpowell7
User

Thank you, Kintnerboy, for your post on change. A major stumbling block for many of us is failing to recognize (or accept) that others live differently than we do. If we introspect so narrowly, it is difficult to forecast where the world is headed.

A friend of mine years ago, a very successful attorney, once let it slip that he wanted to put on jeans and an old shirt, slip ten dollars in his pocket and start walking down a road. And walk. He wondered if he could survive for a month on whatever came his way. He never found out, as far as I know, but he realized that others were not as blessed with material goods as he had been.

I become upset when I hear neighboring (legal) gunfire. But last year one of my neighbors killed a seventy-pound coyote that was carrying away his small dog. How could I be angry about that?

Throwing mud never changes anyone's mind.
jmpowell7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 12:53 PM   #153
TigerFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpowell7 View Post
I become upset when I hear neighboring (legal) gunfire. But last year one of my neighbors killed a seventy-pound coyote that was carrying away his small dog. How could I be angry about that?

Throwing mud never changes anyone's mind.
Did this coyote have any “ACME” products on him? Your neighbor may have cut short the life of the star of an animated feature.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:08 PM   #154
bhaas
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcon View Post
But what did they DO? Were they seized on the issue of COVID-19, if it were as important as this mere list of talking points suggests? Nope. They're not helpless, after all, since they were able to launch an impeachment proceeding that took up enough oxygen so the news was full of it for months.

That's moving the goal posts. Here's what you initially said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcon View Post
Democrats were totally seized with impeachment, and their own nomination race. Nothing to worry about there!
They weren't "totally seized with impeachment." They were sounding the alarm. Repeatedly. And I proved that.

But fine. You've moved the goalposts. Let's continue to play.

Quote:
They're not helpless, after all, since they were able to launch an impeachment proceeding that took up enough oxygen so the news was full of it for months.
Congress has the ability to impeach. They do not have the ability to order or disburse emergency spending/execution of emergency plans. That rests with the president, whose job it is to execute the functions of the government.

This is basic government 101 stuff.

Even still. They did do stuff.

Feb. 2: Democratic bill to provide $8 billion+ in coronavirus emergency aid

https://www.congress.gov/116/bills/h...6hr6074enr.pdf

Feb. 4: Kilmer, Murray Lead Bipartisan, Bicameral Letter of 48 Lawmakers from States with Confirmed Novel Coronavirus Cases Urging CDC to Distribute Rapid Diagnostic Tests to State and Local Health Officials, Prioritize States with Confirmed Cases

https://kilmer.house.gov/news/press-...onfirmed-cases

Feb. 5: Watch: US House panel holds hearing on the coronavirus outbreak

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/05/watc...-outbreak.html

Feb. 5: Some lawmakers confront Trump administration over coronavirus response

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-po...irus-response/

Feb. 20: Ayanna Pressley, 45 Democrats urge President Trump to keep coronavirus vaccine cost low

https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/02...cine-cost-low/

I can do this all day.

Perhaps Canadian politics is more your area of expertise than American politics.
bhaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 01:24 PM   #155
Done Deal Pro
Administrator

As a reminder to all, please stick to the topic of the "Effect of the Coronavirus" on the film & TV industry here in Los Angeles and around the world.

For years now, we've asked folks not to get into what pretty much always turnout to be (general) heated political discussions.

Thanks.

Last edited by Done Deal Pro : 04-02-2020 at 01:39 PM.
Done Deal Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 01:30 PM   #156
catcon

oops, posted a witty retort, then saw that Will posted his comment, so I've deleted it.

So how about this: I've scheduled another free eBook (see it in "Announcements" later tonight) and will run from Friday to next Tuesday.

It's a "healing" type of story that I wish had been produced (Spielberg directing Tom Hanks?) for this Summer, just in time to remind Americans how great they are (partisanship excepted)

Last edited by catcon : 04-02-2020 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Will said to stop...
Old 04-02-2020, 03:03 PM   #157
jmpowell7
User

TigerFang, the answer is in the negative.
jmpowell7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 04:42 PM   #158
Friday

When do you think the curve will likely be flattened and things go back to business? I am not sure how this gets solved without a vaccine. But, I've heard different estimates. South Korea seems to have slowed down new cases.

What does this mean for writers? How will the studios, mangers/agents, showrunners, etc. get back to business? Is this going to shift their buying patterns? It was already hard for writers to get actually get paid (other than the very top tier)...not sure what it will look like.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 06:09 PM   #159
catcon

In my social media posts I've been all over vaccine, vaccine, vaccine. We can hide in here till hell freezes over, or hope the Summer heat burns it out, though it'll come back, but until we are immune (have had a mild case and survived, or develop a vaccine), or have 100% effective therapy, a vaccine is the only permanent solution.

"Contagion" had the vaccine part right, only I do hope they decide to roll it out it differently than they did in that film (by a lottery like the draft). Authorities have to take care of the front-line (health and service) workers first, then people prone or with underlying conditions, and then the rest.

Sorry for the young and healthy, folks.

Good for the oldsters (like me).

But even if a vaccine is found quickly, we still could be talking most people's first excursion out-of-doors is to vote in November!

Anyway, as to how this affects writers, I have an IMDBpro trial going now, and am finding lots of contacts, but nobody's writing back (or connecting, via LinkedIn). I did penny up for the InkTip newsletter, which had 8 leads tonight and I sent in on 4, and one from their last newsletter. So, at least in the world of InkTip, some companies are still looking for scripts for movies that they want to make.

Remember, these guys aren't being inconsiderate to what's happening. This is a business and, given that it takes 2-3 years to bring a production to completion, you just can't take months or the better part of a year off from development.

Frankly, I'd expect that's true of everybody in the biz, and this thread discusses the pros and cons of what and when to send queries, and how and to whom.

But I'd not hold back and take too much time off to relax. If you have something burning to write, or you have something to polish up (don't we all), I'd focus on those. But keep an eye on openings, buy up some VPF pitches when he has a sale (but only then), consider InkTip, check out ScriptRevolution.com, and I know there are other such services that people swear by, but I've never used. Maybe even BlckLst.

(By the way, I asked anybody who uses BlckLst what they're saying over there, how turnarounds going, etc. No response. Crickets.)
Old 04-02-2020, 06:54 PM   #160
Friday

It's actually a lot harder to do work at home. Somehow it's less efficient. A million distractions. So, I don't know how managers/producers/agents are handling things if they are spending part time working at home. At least in the office, you can kind of wall yourself from the distractions by closing the door.

I am also kind of concerned about the movie business. Theater chains like AMC, laemmle, etc. how are they going to hang on? Not sure when film productions will be able to resume. There are so many people that work on these productions and all the jobs that surround them (makeup artists, caterers, etc.). The businesses that are thriving are things like streaming services and grocery stores.

Just curious if you any of you are still grocery shopping? How are things looking at your grocery store? Are basic things still there? There seemed to be a run on toilet paper, wipes, water and canned goods. And I saw all those lines at Costco on the news, so not sure how that helps stop the spread. Governors and mayors encourage social distancing, but then have it so that people congregate in large numbers at these grocery stores.

Last edited by Done Deal Pro : 04-02-2020 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Removed extra breaks between paragraphs
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote