Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2020, 09:09 AM   #191
DDoc
Regular

Default Re: Effect of the Coronavirus

Stay safe, Max. Probably a good idea to hunker down like Tigerfang said. My mom's basically in hospice and my old man is going through chemo so things might be a lot different when this is all over with. We were supposed to visit in a couple weeks but decided against it for fear of accidently infecting them (we don't feel sick but who knows?).

And for what it's worth I often think about what the world might be like when millennials become the Masters of the universe. It's a little concerning. Maybe this situation will help us grow up, like Jm said.
DDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 10:13 AM   #192
Max Otto Schrenck
Regular

Did my best to get prepared. Masks (though not too many!). Surgical gloves (though I gave half of them away to a crippled lady 20 years older than me who lives with a daughter who still has to go to work at city hall). Stock up on medical essentials. Put off the visits to WalMart for as long as possible.

But later this month I'm supposed to drive my 91-year-old Mother to Amarillo for shots for macular degeneration. Looked on her ophthalmologist's facebook page and he doesn't seem to be doing anything to prevent crowding in the waiting area -- where we sometimes end up spending half the day.

Two hours drive back afterward. No chance to change clothes or thoroughly wash up.

If it comes to a choice between taking a chance on our lives, and my Mother's eyesight, what am I going to do?

These are the kind of stresses -- and worse, much worse -- that everybody either is facing or will have to face the next few months.
Max Otto Schrenck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 12:43 PM   #193
DayJobWriter
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Otto Schrenck View Post
Did my best to get prepared. Masks (though not too many!). Surgical gloves (though I gave half of them away to a crippled lady 20 years older than me who lives with a daughter who still has to go to work at city hall). Stock up on medical essentials. Put off the visits to WalMart for as long as possible.

But later this month I'm supposed to drive my 91-year-old Mother to Amarillo for shots for macular degeneration. Looked on her ophthalmologist's facebook page and he doesn't seem to be doing anything to prevent crowding in the waiting area -- where we sometimes end up spending half the day.

Two hours drive back afterward. No chance to change clothes or thoroughly wash up.

If it comes to a choice between taking a chance on our lives, and my Mother's eyesight, what am I going to do?

These are the kind of stresses -- and worse, much worse -- that everybody either is facing or will have to face the next few months.
I have an 84-year-old mother so I understand your anxiety. But to be blunt: your mother won't need her eyesight if she's dead from Covid-19.

Take charge of the appointment situation. Call the doctor's office and say you will call when you arrive outside the building and you want them to call you on your cellphone when they are ready to see you. Ask to be admitted through a back door so you don't have to walk your elderly mother through the waiting room. Better yet, have the doctor give her whatever shots she needs in your car. She should have a mask on; so should you; so should the doctor. Bring hand sanitizer. Use it immediately after your appointment. People are very understanding about the susceptibility of the elderly to infectious diseases. Just speak up. They will do their best to accommodate you. If they won't, don't risk it. You only have one mother and one life.

No offense intended whatsoever, but milk toast is one dish that shouldn't appear on the menu during a f-ing pandemic.

Take care of yourself. Take care of Mom.

All the best to you out there in Cadillac Ranch country.
DayJobWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 01:53 PM   #194
catcon

Quote:
Yup. They call Corona "The BOOMER REMOVER."...
I was told by one of my teachers never to use "they" in my logic - that it's a cheap way to avoid quoting actual sources and that it perpetuates stupid idioms. I'm not picking on ya'; I'd not seen or heard this one, but in a quick check I see that this particular phrase is indeed floating around the Internet.

Obviously, we're talking about a virus, not something with a perverted sense of justice. Besides, the same thing might be said about cancer, or heart disease, or heck old age itself.

However, it's just another in a long line of ludicrous idioms that get invented and perpetuated for people to retweet or whatever, even long before Twitter and social media was around.

I'm old enough (a late boomer, actually who ofttimes resented those who were 5-10 years older as having gotten in on more of the gravy) to remember the early 80s, when "they" said "we're straight so have no reason to worry about HIV."

Young people and COVID-19
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 02:05 PM   #195
Max Otto Schrenck
Regular

"But to be blunt: your mother won't need her eyesight if she's dead from Covid-19."

Yeah. Like my Mother says, "Better my sight than YOUR LIFE."

We have about two and a half weeks to organize a plan, if a plan is possible. I don't think there's any approach we can come up with on our own, without major input from the doctors' shoppe. There are no back doors that I'm aware of at this place. It's like a medical factory. You go through an atrium-style lobby, sign in, wait, get called to one of three waiting areas, wait, go in, have your eyes dilated, go to another waiting area, wait, go get tested and sent to the last waiting room where you wait one last time to have your appointment arranged for the following week, in which further tests may or may not occur before the final shot.

The shot, incidentally, is nowhere near as bad as one might think. It's over in seconds with some possible visual after-effects (a single distracting floater has occurred a couple of times, in the thirty or so shots she's gotten) but no pain.

So what to do? A good seventy five to eighty per cent of the other patients are elderly -- over sixty-five. Are they all going to take a chance coming in? When the flu was in the area, sometimes the place would be half empty. How about now? What is the place even doing open, with local cases surging past triple digits and the first deaths being reported?

Dunno. Facebook ain't talking, and the medical outfit I'm speaking of hasn't given us a heads-up on the phone or by e-mail, to reassure us.

Looks like we may roll the dice on the fate of her eyes for a couple of months, and hope she doesn't fall that far behind....

Last edited by Max Otto Schrenck : 04-05-2020 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Because, that's why
Max Otto Schrenck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 02:55 PM   #196
DayJobWriter
User

Quote:
"But to be blunt: your mother won't need her eyesight if she's dead from Covid-19."

Yeah. Like my Mother says, "Better my sight than YOUR LIFE."

We have about two and a half weeks to organize a plan, if a plan is possible. I don't think there's any approach we can come up with on our own, without major input from the doctors' shoppe. There are no back doors that I'm aware of at this place. It's like a medical factory. You go through an atrium-style lobby, sign in, wait, get called to one of three waiting areas, wait, go in, have your eyes dilated, go to another waiting area, wait, go get tested and sent to the last waiting room where you wait one last time to have your appointment arranged for the following week, in which further tests may or may not occur before the final shot.

The shot, incidentally, is nowhere near as bad as one might think. It's over in seconds with some possible visual after-effects (a single distracting floater has occurred a couple of times, in the thirty or so shots she's gotten) but no pain.

So what to do? A good seventy five to eighty per cent of the other patients are elderly -- over sixty-five. Are they all going to take a chance coming in? When the flu was in the area, sometimes the place would be half empty. How about now? What is the place even doing open, with local cases surging past triple digits and the first deaths being reported?

Dunno. Facebook ain't talking, and the medical outfit I'm speaking of hasn't given us a heads-up on the phone or by e-mail, to reassure us.

Looks like we may roll the dice on the fate of her eyes for a couple of months, and hope she doesn't fall that far behind....
Bless her -- my mom would like your mom; they have the same "my child first" sensibility.

Gosh, yeah, you're right. A lot of factors to consider.

I guess "take it one day at a time" is the right adage for this time period.

All the best to you both.
DayJobWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 04:09 PM   #197
finalact4

All of these stories are both horrifying and heartbreaking. The loss of each person is what gets to me.

Then, there's something new they can't figure out. Seemingly young healthy people get sick and rapidly declining down hill and dying in a matter of a few days. I heard a story of a woman and husband both with Covid-19 she was sick first. Then on Friday his symptoms worsen, trouble breathing. The hospitals sends him home, tells him rest, fluids-- the usual. Then Sunday at 2am he's still having problems breathing and by the next time she checks on him at 6am he's already dead. Or a young family of four where all of them die, including their kids-- it's incomprehensible the pain people are facing.

I think Fauci said there's something they're not seeing completely from this virus. Birx said that it's stable and hasn't mutated-- which should scare the shirt out of everyone, because it could mutate into something even more virulent.

Tigerfang, you're doing the right thing. Please take good care of yourself-- your girlfriend is a keeper.

Max Otto Schrenck, DO NOT take any chances. Demand that they take your health as serious as you do. They work for you. They're getting PAID for a service.

DayJobWriter, great advice, thank you for sharing.

Friday, unfortunately, there just isn't anyway for them to get a vaccine in less than 12-18 months. Bill Gates is already working on a viral vaccine platform that will allow them to be prepared for the NEXT virus. They anticipate being able to get a vaccine in a year once they have the platform created. So it's like having the cannoli shell made and just waiting for someone to say what to fill it with. The filling would be the specific virology-attacking-**** they need for a specific virus. Any new virus. It's actually going to change the time line significantly, but it will STILL take a year for each new vaccine. He said he can't see how you could make it shorter. It was an interview he did on CNN last week i think.

The weirdest thing is the compression of time. Everything is happening SO FAST that you don't even realize it.

On MARCH 19 #CASES 13,779 DEATHS: 206

17 days later #CASES 333,000 DEATHS: 9528

We watch the numbers every day, so it seems it's been months, but it hasn't.

A Breaking News report just came out saying that Tigers at the BRONX ZOO one tiger has tested positive for COVID-19. The tiger was exposed by an asymptomatic worker. Six other large cats are now showing symptoms.

If animals can get it from us, seems the chances are pretty good that we can get it from animals.

Scary ****ing ****, man.

Be well and safe everyone.

www.LisaMolusis.com

Last edited by finalact4 : 04-05-2020 at 05:28 PM.
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:34 PM   #198
Friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
All of these stories are both horrifying and heartbreaking. The loss of each person is what gets to me.

Then, there's something new they can't figure out. Seemingly young healthy people get sick and rapidly declining down hill and dying in a matter of a few days. I heard a story of a woman and husband both with Covid-19 she was sick first. Then on Friday his symptoms worsen, trouble breathing. The hospitals sends him home, tells him rest, fluids-- the usual. Then Sunday at 2am he's still having problems breathing and by the next time she checks on him at 6am he's already dead. Or a young family of four where all of them die, including their kids-- it's incomprehensible the pain people are facing.

I think Fauci said there's something they're not seeing completely from this virus. Birdx said that it's stable and hasn't mutated-- which should scare the shirt out of everyone, because it could mutate into something even more virulent.

Tigerfang, you're doing the right thing. Please take good care of yourself-- your girlfriend is a keeper.

Max Otto Schrenck, DO NOT take any chances. Demand that they take your health as serious as you do. They work for you. They're getting PAID for a service.

DayJobWriter, great advice, thank you for sharing.

Friday, unfortunately, there just isn't anyway for them to get a vaccine in less than 12-18 months. Bill Gates is already working on a viral vaccine platform that will allow them to be prepared for the NEXT virus. They anticipate being able to get a vaccine in a year once they have the platform created. So it's like having the cannoli shell made and just waiting for someone to say what to fill it with. The filling would be the specific virology-attacking-**** they need for a specific virus. Any new virus. It's actually going to change the time line significantly, but it will STILL take a year for each new vaccine. He said he can't see how you could make it shorter. It was an interview he did on CNN last week i think.

The weirdest thing is the compression of time. Everything is happening SO FAST that you don't even realize it.

On MARCH 19 #CASES 13,779 DEATHS: 206

17 days later #CASES 333,000 DEATHS: 9528

We watch the numbers every day, so it seems it's been months, but it hasn't.

A Breaking News report just came out saying that Tigers at the BRONX ZOO one tiger has tested positive for COVID-19. The tiger was exposed by an asymptomatic worker. Six other large cats are now showing symptoms.

If animals can get it from us, seems the chances are pretty good that we can get it from animals.

Scary ****ing ****, man.

Be well and safe everyone.

I saw on the news that the ocean could have some of the corona virus. When the rain washes the ground into the nearby ocean. Every time a wave comes, it's like a sneeze from the ocean. I also heard another expert on one of the network news speculate that it might also be the level of exposure. You see those people stuck on cruise ships who are probably exposed much longer and with more frequency than maybe someone who maybe just had a passing contact with someone infected.

God, I don't know what's going to happen if this drags on for 1 year. We're going to waste 1 year of our lives stuck at home. Can't even socialize. Can't even do the most basic things. This will kill brick and mortar businesses and restaurants. People will be less friendly. Divorces are supposedly rising.

How are movie theaters going to handle this? They are missing out on the biggest opening months - April and Summer. And if they lose out on the Christmas holidays...not sure how they handle the deficit.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:38 PM   #199
Friday

I know Bill Gates has his own timeline, but I also hear other doctors claim a shorter timeline. I am just wondering if any of them are close to a cure? I wish the news would report more on that.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:49 PM   #200
Captain Nemo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
I know Bill Gates has his own timeline, but I also hear other doctors claim a shorter timeline. I am just wondering if any of them are close to a cure? I wish the news would report more on that.
Below is a link to what may be one of the more promising developments in the search for a Covid-19 vaccine. Worth noting that this is just a small first step -- they're still a couple of months away from clinical trials, and, if successful, it will take another 4-6 to scale up. As many researchers have already said, don't expect a vaccine for at least a year or so, at the earliest. However some anti-virals -- drugs like remdesivir, for those already afflicted with the disease -- may become available sooner.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ne/5112675002/
Captain Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote