Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2020, 09:17 PM   #221
Friday

Default Re: Effect of the Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLev24 View Post
I kind of buy this idea. It definitely seemed like there was a worse-than-usual flu season in Los Angeles this winter. I actually discussed with friends at the time how it seemed more people we knew were down with worse cases of the flu than previous years. My roommate got completely knocked out by the flu in November and then AGAIN in January. What are the odds one of those wasn't Corona? And my girlfriend, who is from Italy, got very sick right after flying back to LA after the holidays (from Milan no less) with a bad respiratory illness that knocked her down for a week and a half.

This was all right before Coronavirus had entered the news, so it wasn't a thought in our minds at the time. But looking back... it makes a ton of sense. Glad you recovered iknownuffin!

A few celebrities mentioned coming down with the Corona after they took a flight.... so maybe it's like the cruise ships. A bunch of people stuck in a confined space. Who knows if a carrier is on that flight.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:19 PM   #222
Friday

They're about to test this new drug that keeps the corona from attaching to people's lungs. Cross your fingers.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:28 AM   #223
TigerFang

Musing about the state of the cinema theaters in the United States because of the first wave of the coronavirus pandemic, I wondered if once things settle down to normal again, if those cinema theaters left standing—including drive-in theaters—will see a resurgence in packed seats and parking spaces.

A large, locally owned theater in my current city offers a free bucket of popcorn to anyone who drives up outside, no purchase required. Customers can also order food and beverages—including alcoholic beverages—to go.

A movie theater is the only place to experience properly a film designed and constructed to show on a 90’ by 30’ reflective screen. Once the pandemic subsides, I hope people turn out in droves for films in theaters. On the other hand, many might be exceedingly cautious about doing so.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:40 AM   #224
TigerFang

@WindsorMann quote from Twitter:

Isaac Asimov died OTD in 1992. This quotation from 1980 holds up:

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States…. [It is] nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.’”

Last edited by TigerFang : 04-09-2020 at 07:57 AM.
TigerFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:02 AM   #225
Darthclaw13
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerFang View Post
Musing about the state of the cinema theaters in the United States because of the first wave of the coronavirus pandemic, I wondered if once things settle down to normal again, if those cinema theaters left standing—including drive-in theaters—will see a resurgence in packed seats and parking spaces.

A large, locally owned theater in my current city offers a free bucket of popcorn to anyone who drives up outside, no purchase required. Customers can also order food and beverages—including alcoholic beverages—to go.

A movie theater is the only place to experience properly a film designed and constructed to show on a 90’ by 30’ reflective screen. Once the pandemic subsides, I hope people turn out in droves for films in theaters. On the other hand, many might be exceedingly cautious about doing so.

I am hoping for packed theaters when they reopen. I saw a poll recently that stated that when asked when theaters reopen would people go back, 20% said they would go back immediately, 60% said they would wait a few weeks before going back, and 20% said they would wait a few months.

Maybe what they should do when they reopen is with each ticket purchase you get a face mask to wear when inside the building.
Darthclaw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:53 AM   #226
catcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthclaw13 View Post
...Maybe what they should do when they reopen is with each ticket purchase you get a face mask to wear when inside the building.
Not the same thing, obviously, but I remember in about 1967 going into a second-run release of "Dracula: Prince of Darkness", where they handed out phony cardboard cut-out upper fanged dentures. So we kids were all sitting in the dark with these stupid fangs in our mouths, as Drac got resurrected for the first of what was going to become about 15 times.

Talk about blood borne illness.

I was only 10-11, and how I and my pals were allowed into this flick, especially at this scene:

Gory throat-slitting scene, decades before it was done in Let The Right One In
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 03:56 PM   #227
TigerFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerFang View Post
For one, I’d like to see Saturday Night Live get some skits together through Zoom or any other way. Maybe individual cast memebrs could use their iPhones and cobble together a history of epidemics and how each of those generations walked uphill both ways to endure them. Let them make their own costumes from whatever they have available—duct tape, foil, newspaper; it could be funny. I miss their show.
SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE to Air New (Remotely Produced) Episode

'Saturday Night Live' is producing new original content remotely this weekend
Old 04-09-2020, 04:02 PM   #228
finalact4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
They're about to test this new drug that keeps the corona from attaching to people's lungs. Cross your fingers.
Which drug are you talking about? They're testing many drugs at this time. Can you provide more information?

Are you talking about the 100 year old vaccine they were speaking about this morning? The one for tuberculosis?

www.LisaMolusis.com
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 06:47 PM   #229
TigerFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthclaw13 View Post
Maybe what they should do when they reopen is with each ticket purchase you get a face mask to wear when inside the building.
Masks would come off PDQ to get a mouthful of popcorn!
Old 04-09-2020, 07:16 PM   #230
Friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
Which drug are you talking about? They're testing many drugs at this time. Can you provide more information?

Are you talking about the 100 year old vaccine they were speaking about this morning? The one for tuberculosis?

The reporter rattled something "dd" with a bunch of numbers... I didn't really catch it. But, if I see it on the news again, I'll report back. This one sounded different. It's new. It has something to do with it making the virus unable to attach to the lungs. There seems to be many different proposed drugs that are attacking it in different ways. Some approach it by trying to help a person develop antibodies. Others try to help suppress the immune system from going into overdrive. Obviously a drug that's capable of rendering the virus unable to attach will be very helpful. We'll see.