No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Academy Nicholl Fellowships - 2014 - Questions & Answers

Originally posted by Rhodi View Post
    Can we use this offer for a different script or does it specifically have to be the Nicholl placed one?
    Gotta be the Nicholl placing script.

Comment

Just posted -

2014 Academy Nicholl finalist log lines

Comment

The log for Moonflower... is something else:

"Although temporally separated, a luthier and a cellist find the means to enhance one another's virtuosity and engage in a rather outré September passion."

Comment

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
          Greg: I'm curious if this also means you've now sent out "the list" . . . of QFs/SFs, etc.?

Comment

Congratulations to all of the finalists! How awesome. Best of luck moving forward.

The loglines sound really interesting. I'm surprised by so many sci-fi and/or fantasy genres listed. You know, because it's the Nicholl.
            "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by acquaformosa View Post
              Greg: I'm curious if this also means you've now sent out "the list" . . . of QFs/SFs, etc.?
              The semi/quarterfinal contact lists were initially distributed about ten days ago.

Comment

Am I reading the fellowship results correctly, Greg? Only four of the ten finalist scripts (rather than five) were awarded fellowships this year? Does that mean the judges didn't find at least five scripts worthy of a fellowship?

Given the extraordinary level of quality in this competition, that seems unusual.

Late Night Writer

Comment

Five fellows (three solo writers and a team of two)

Comment

In the past (eg. 2013) it's been five scripts , regardless of number of teams.

Late Night Writer

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, I don't believe there's necessariy any hard-n-fast rules regarding the number of scripts that might be chosen for a fellowship. In other words, there could also be six scripts chosen, just as easily as four. Kinda like the new Oscar rules for Best Picture nominations . . . kinda.

Comment

Originally posted by LateNightWriter View Post
                        Am I reading the fellowship results correctly, Greg? Only four of the ten finalist scripts (rather than five) were awarded fellowships this year? Does that mean the judges didn't find at least five scripts worthy of a fellowship?

Given the extraordinary level of quality in this competition, that seems unusual.

Late Night Writer
                        Competition rules read that "Up to five $35,000 fellowships are awarded annually," and Academy Nicholl Committee members made the decision this year only to award four. That had last happened in 1995.

The writers of the remaining six screenplays simply did not garner enough support from committee members during the selection meeting.

Comment

Originally posted by acquaformosa View Post
                          If I'm not mistaken, I don't believe there's necessariy any hard-n-fast rules regarding the number of scripts that might be chosen for a fellowship. In other words, there could also be six scripts chosen, just as easily as four. Kinda like the new Oscar rules for Best Picture nominations . . . kinda.
                          No, this isn't correct. As mentioned above, the rules state "up to five fellowships," so committee members don't have the discretion to award a sixth fellowship.

If there were an extraordinary desire on the part of a majority of committee members to award a sixth fellowship in a given year (which has never happened), I don't know whether the five fellowship limit could be exceeded. When and if the push for six occurs, we'll find out.

Comment

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
                            No, this isn't correct. As mentioned above, the rules state "up to five fellowships," so committee members don't have the discretion to award a sixth fellowship.

If there were an extraordinary desire on the part of a majority of committee members to award a sixth fellowship in a given year (which has never happened), I don't know whether the five fellowship limit could be exceeded. When and if the push for six occurs, we'll find out.
                            My bad, Greg. Shoulda looked it up since I'm discovering (lately) that relying on my memory isn't such a good idea anymore. Case in point . . .

Comment

As an entrant into this year's contest, I find this news a bit disturbing. You're saying that from 7,511 entries you could only find four "promising new screenwriters-?

So 7,507 of the entries are no-hopers. That's bleak.

Comment

Originally posted by Howie428 View Post
                                As an entrant into this year's contest, I find this news a bit disturbing. You're saying that from 7,511 entries you could only find four "promising new screenwriters-?

So 7,507 of the entries are no-hopers. That's bleak.
                                As Greg pointed out (and as stated in the rules), this isn't exactly a sudden revelation. Becoming a Finalist . . . much less winning the Fellowship . . . is a longshot and it's why it's such a big deal. For whatever the reasons and we all acknowledge that subjectivity with written works is certainly a strange animal, the committee chose four scripts instead of five. Each Finalist also has to submit a Letter to the Committee, which might have also played a small part in the decision. Who knows?

I guess my question to Howie428 would be . . . what has changed today on October 7th that you didn't already know when you submitted your script back in Mar/Apr/May? It's fairly common knowledge that QF totals are in the 200s . . . the Semis are in the low 100s . . . and then there's something like 10 Finalists before picking the Fellows.

Comment

Working...
                                X