Has a TV show ever evolved into a new one?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has a TV show ever evolved into a new one?

I'm thinking something like the Xfiles if they discovered who was behind the scenes (Aliens, illuminati, big business etc) and took the fight to them?
    I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Re: Has a TV show ever evolved into a new one?

usually as a spinoff from the earlier, existing series, e.g., Boston Legal from The Practice

Comment

What, no mention of the X Files Spinoff for The Lone Gunmen?

Breaking Bad > Saul
      Happy Days > Laverne and Shirley > Mork and Mindy
      Chicago Fire > Chicago everything else

before we get into a list of the dozens of spinoff shows,

I wonder if the OP isn't really asking 'has a show ever answered its fundamental question and then moved on to do something else.'

P
      A
      R
      D
      A
      C
      K

Comment

I just finished "Person of Interest" which evolved from a case-of-the-week CBS procedural into a compelling serialized sci-fi show by season 4.
        https://twitter.com/DavidCoggeshall
        http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1548597/

Comment

Originally posted by Pardack View Post
          I wonder if the OP isn't really asking 'has a show ever answered its fundamental question and then moved on to do something else.'
          Yeah that's pretty much it, Say in Battlestar Galactica they discovered Earth beat off the cylons and the series kept going albeit with a different bent, say the refugees became increasing despotic rulers to the technically backwards Earthlings [even as I write this i think that the latest spinoffs found Earth didn't they?]

Say Xfiles had resolved it core question and changed from seeking out "what was in the files" to using the files to fight back

Originally posted by ProfessorChomp View Post
          I just finished "Person of Interest" which evolved from a case-of-the-week CBS procedural into a compelling serialized sci-fi show by season 4.
          Thanks for that. Sounds exactly what I'm after. More binge watching!
          I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_land View Post

Thanks for that. Sounds exactly what I'm after. More binge watching!
            Before you jump into Person Of Interest, know there's a ton of case-of-the-week deadwood that can be skipped. I followed two helpful viewing guides to get to the good stuff faster.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/5958702/how-...ion-show-on-tv

https://www.ign.com/articles/2016/04...l-catch-you-up
            https://twitter.com/DavidCoggeshall
            http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1548597/

Comment

Originally posted by ProfessorChomp View Post
              Before you jump into Person Of Interest, know there's a ton of case-of-the-week deadwood that can be skipped. I followed two helpful viewing guides to get to the good stuff faster.
              very nice thanks
              I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

I think months later I have an actual answer to this question:

I binged Crazy Ex Girlfriend. Coming to it so late, and watching it all, I feel like it started with a great idea about an adult woman following a teen crush to the other side of the USA. It was awkward and funny and she was constantly embarrassing herself in the effort to hide her reason for moving to the 'ex's town. Plus songs.

Then they did different romantic interests and kept the ball going for two more seasons until she sort of swore to take a step back.

Which brings us to season 4, the one that is on right now. The lead character has no pressing romantic interests, no embarrassing conflicts. She's sort of coasting through a dead span of life.

The show seems unrecognizable to me.

So maybe retooling to the point of changing the premise isn't such a hot idea.

I don't know if anyone else is watching? It feels like Crazy E-G has added four Cousin Olivers, some of whom vanish after one ep.

P
                A
                R
                D
                A
                C
                K

Comment

Originally posted by Pardack View Post
                  I think months later I have an actual answer to this question:

I binged Crazy Ex Girlfriend. Coming to it so late, and watching it all, I feel like it started with a great idea about an adult woman following a teen crush to the other side of the USA. It was awkward and funny and she was constantly embarrassing herself in the effort to hide her reason for moving to the 'ex's town. Plus songs.

Then they did different romantic interests and kept the ball going for two more seasons until she sort of swore to take a step back.

Which brings us to season 4, the one that is on right now. The lead character has no pressing romantic interests, no embarrassing conflicts. She's sort of coasting through a dead span of life.

The show seems unrecognizable to me.

So maybe retooling to the point of changing the premise isn't such a hot idea.

I don't know if anyone else is watching? It feels like Crazy E-G has added four Cousin Olivers, some of whom vanish after one ep.

P
                  A
                  R
                  D
                  A
                  C
                  K
                  This is a bit of a tangent from the original q, but the above description of Crazy Ex sounds like that TV series Casual. The first three seasons were great, until the last episode of the 3rd season... where they jumped the shark and then season 4 was a let down. It's like they didn't know how to stick the landing. (If they even had one.) It think shows that have a definite ending in mind when they start fare better. For example, the guy who wrote Mad Men knew his ending when he pitched the show.

Comment

Working...
                  X