No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cliche is as Cliche Does

Originally posted by ChadStrohl View Post
    Like if you hit a guy with a surfboard, you have to say something like, "Surf's up, pal!"

Okay. I totally ripped Last Boys Scout on that
    Or Mystery Science Theater 3000. (An indispensible fount of comedy and lessons in what not to do, from long ago.)

Anyway, next villain who describes the motive of his master plan as "Because I can", the writer gets a poke in the eye. (The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo narrowly escaped judgement, and not just because the author is dead. )
    What I have crossed out, I didn't like. What I haven't crossed out, I am dissatisfied with.
    (Cecil B. DeMille's notes to an unknown screenwriter)

Comment

Originally posted by MargoChanning View Post
      I think a lot of sex scenes definitely lead toward the cliche. The woman's fully nude while the guy has his pants on. Doesn't even pull them down for God's sake. What the hell's that all about? S'plain, please.

Or the guy's pumping away like a freight train run amok, and the woman's loving it.
      Well, that has more to do with uptight male directors/producers than the writers. I hope.
      What I have crossed out, I didn't like. What I haven't crossed out, I am dissatisfied with.
      (Cecil B. DeMille's notes to an unknown screenwriter)

Comment

The curse of digital grading

Of all current film cliches, the one that annoys me most isn't even a story element but a consequence of overzealous digital grading (which has utterly destroyed modern cinematography): the green/teal filtering that is slathered over nearly every movie:

http://theabyssgazes.blogspot.ca/201...ease-stop.html

I've even seen previously attractive films retrofitted with this green gunk on DVD/Blu-ray.

What a pleasure it is to see movies from past decades that still exhibit truer colors. I realize that in past decades labs would process films to bring out colors or tamp them down, but it was never as grotesquely extreme as it is today -- and always in that worst-of-all-colours, the teal/green hue.

Comment

Re: The curse of digital grading

Originally posted by karsten View Post
          Of all current film cliches, the one that annoys me most isn't even a story element but a consequence of overzealous digital grading (which has utterly destroyed modern cinematography): the green/teal filtering that is slathered over nearly every movie.
          Unfortunately the extreme grading fad has become an obsession and even when cinematography is superb and appropriate, execs will insist that the film has a look. However, even though it feels worn and overdone, there might be some marketing truth in their madness in that current audiences seem to want movies to be more escapist and other-worldly. I don't know that for a fact, it's just an impression I've gained, but like you I do find it annoyingly overdone these days.
          "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

Originally posted by nmstevens View Post
            Then, of course, there's the classic "outrunning explosions and/or fireballs" which, having long outpaced the laws of physics, has also outstayed its welcome.
            My hero is so badass that the fireballs run away from him.

- Bill
            Free Script Tips:
            http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post

- Bill

Stay thirsty my friend...

Comment

Originally posted by MargoChanning View Post
                Or the guy's pumping away like a freight train run amok, and the woman's loving it.
                God this made me laugh out loud!!

So true, so true...

Comment

- Bill
                  So your hero is Vladimir Putin? Thats a ballsy move!
                  I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

- Bill
                    I always wanted to have a moment in a movie where a hero's outrunning a fireball and pauses to catch his breath -- and the fireball does the same -- then he starts running again -- and the fireball starts chasing him again.

NMS

Comment

The girl taking the guy's hand and writing her number on it.

Anyone writing a number on anyone's hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post
                        The girl taking the guy's hand and writing her number on it.

Anyone writing a number on anyone's hand.
                        Cell phones have screwed up so many tropes.

One of the many reasons I hate them (and refuse to get another one. Ever. Again).

Comment

Re: The curse of digital grading

Originally posted by karsten View Post
                          I've even seen previously attractive films retrofitted with this green gunk on DVD/Blu-ray.
                          Blade Runner: The Final Cut is the worst offender I've seen yet.

Comment

Villain crawls through the dust almost directly towards camera, legs apparently not working, only the protag's legs are visible in shot.
                            I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SuperScribe View Post
                              Cell phones have screwed up so many tropes.

One of the many reasons I hate them (and refuse to get another one. Ever. Again).
                              I'm pretty sure I just saw that again recently, even in a movie world presumably filled with cell phones. The girl leans in, and I'm thinking, DON'T DO IT, I KNOW YOUR CREATOR WANTS YOU TO COME OFF AS QUIRKY AND FREE SPIRITED, BUT DO NOT GRAB HIS HAND AND WRITE YOUR NUMBER ON IT. But sure enough, that's exactly what she did.

But: cell phones have actually added a lot to movies, it's another body gesture for an actor to look cool doing. Just like the way a protag holds and shoots a gun can become a trademark, the way a movie character walks down the street yelling orders into a cell can be cool too. Jack Bauer comes to mind, but then again, he always comes to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post
                                I'm pretty sure I just saw that again recently, even in a movie world presumably filled with cell phones. The girl leans in, and I'm thinking, DON'T DO IT, I KNOW YOUR CREATOR WANTS YOU TO COME OFF AS QUIRKY AND FREE SPIRITED, BUT DO NOT GRAB HIS HAND AND WRITE YOUR NUMBER ON IT. But sure enough, that's exactly what she did.

But: cell phones have actually added a lot to movies, it's another body gesture for an actor to look cool doing. Just like the way a protag holds and shoots a gun can become a trademark, the way a movie character walks down the street yelling orders into a cell can be cool too. Jack Bauer comes to mind, but then again, he always comes to mind.
                                Not to mention cell phones used as a device to track/find someone on the run, set off bombs and use as weapons. Was it bond that had the phone that could Taser people when you pushed the send button..?

Comment

Working...
                                X