Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Thought it was brilliant, and my favorite for Best Picture. Only two I didn't see were Phantom Thread and Call Me by your Name.

harbak, most of your complaints are illegitimate and stem from not being able to accept the amount of laziness, corruption, and injustice that can flourish in a tiny backwards town of racist idiots. Characters like this exist, even right down to holding a knife at each other's throats one moment and back to normal the next.

Comment

My complaints are illegitimate? Go ahead and tell me where I'm wrong on any of these.

The DNA results in 1 day?

She firebombs the police station and there is no investigation beyond, she was with me?

There's no back door on a police station, conveniently so Rockwell has to jump through flames to save the folder? I mean really, no back door?

Her finger prints aren't gonna be all over the glass bottles used in the molotov cocktails?

She doesn't call the cops when a stranger destroys stuff in her store? After the things he said?

Rockwell isn't arrested for his assault on the Ad kid? Are you serious?
      The attack was witnessed by half the town, come on.

$5,000 dollars for rural unused billboards? Took me five minutes to look up costs, and it would be maybe 1500 a month. But that number would be easy, so he had to put a fake ass number in to make it seem more onerous and impossible.

They don't run duplicates of billboard signage automatically, that was just stupid too.

So many things he took liberty with just to let the story go the way he wanted.

Back half of the movie was extremely boring, and the fact that it was written by a non-American was obvious in his portrayal of many things about the small town.

There were moments where I wondered if it was supposed to be 1960 the way things were portrayed. Dial up phones and flip phones, I mean WTF.

Go ahead, this was just at first glance, there were so many other issues. Just admit you fell for the acting and the touching tone and ignored the awful writing and screenplay plotting. It's ok.

I really could put another half dozen egregious plot fails in here but I got bored.

How about the billboard frames don't burn only the parts where they put their posters up, that's convenient. The antique wooden framed billboard structures don't catch fire mmmhmmm.
      Eric
      www.scriptreadguaranteed.com

Comment

Originally posted by jboffer View Post
        Thought it was brilliant, and my favorite for Best Picture. Only two I didn't see were Phantom Thread and Call Me by your Name.

harbak, most of your complaints are illegitimate and stem from not being able to accept the amount of laziness, corruption, and injustice that can flourish in a tiny backwards town of racist idiots. Characters like this exist, even right down to holding a knife at each other's throats one moment and back to normal the next.
        That's letting Harbak off lightly. Sparing him/her the ignominy of shining a light on the rest of his/her criticisms.
        M.A.G.A.

Comment

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
          That's letting Harbak off lightly. Sparing him/her the ignominy of shining a light on the rest of his/her criticisms.
          I've learned some lessons from the current political climate. When someone makes an argument that seems impossibly dumb, responding point by point just wastes your time on what's a lost cause 9/10 times.

And unlike politics, this film does affect the health/safety/happiness of hundreds of millions of people, so, hard pass.

Comment

harbak, most of your complaints are illegitimate and stem from not being able to accept the amount of laziness, corruption, and injustice that can flourish in a tiny backwards town of racist idiots.
            I've lived all over the US, including large cities, small towns and everything in between. The most overt racism I ever experienced was in Portland, Oregon.

I worked for GTE, on the State of Oregon project. The only time I ever worked as a union employee.

It was also the only time that a supervisor ever told me: "I should request a black technician when I had a job North Portland." And that they couldn't believe I'd go up there late at night to do telephone switch upgrades. It floored me. It never even occurred to me not to go there or anywhere I'd ever worked. (By the way, I never requested a "black technician" and never had any problems.)

Racist idiots are racist idiots, wherever they are. But it's lot easier to write about the "injustice that can flourish in a tiny backwards town of racist idiots", then it is to write about the "injustice that can flourish in a large backwards city of racist idiots". Especially a city that's supposed to be politically correct.

The first one requires simple caricatures, the second, more subtlety. Even people living in London can write American caricatures -- so let's go ahead and do the tiny town, in Missouri, instead.

(Hell, I'm American and I can even sort of write British caricatures.)

It sounds like this story deals with a lot more than racism. Someone compared it to last year's "Manchester By The Sea", which was enough for me to say "PASS", since I made the mistake of watching "Manchester By The Sea" last year.

Ultimately not watching it might be my loss -- that's a risk I'm willing to take.
            Last edited by StoryWriter; 02-12-2018, 12:44 AM.
            "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

Comment

Originally posted by StoryWriter View Post
              Racist idiots are racist idiots, wherever they are. But it's lot easier to write about the "injustice that can flourish in a tiny backwards town of racist idiots", then it is to write about the "injustice that can flourish in a large backwards city of racist idiots". Especially a city that's supposed to be politically correct.

The first one requires simple caricatures, the second, more subtlety. Even people living in London can write American caricatures -- so let's go ahead and do the tiny town, in Missouri, instead.
              Or maybe they're all hard things to write, because writing a believable drama is hard.

The characters in Three Billboards were far from caricatures, and your own narrative of "but there are other bad things other places" is certainly true, but not relevant. If you want to comment on the film, you have to watch the film.

Comment

You are being exceedingly lazy in your dismissive comments. Nothing I listed above had anything to do with the caricatures, racism, politics etc.... NOTHING.

I detailed legitimate plot holes and lazy/sloppy writing and poised the question, are people falling for the actors and ignoring how bad the writing was?

if you don't believe me look at IMDB reviews. HALF of the reviews point out how horrible the plotting and story line was while giving a nod of the head to the great job the actors did.

NOTHING I said could be summarized as

"most of your complaints are illegitimate and stem from not being able to accept the amount of laziness, corruption, and injustice that can flourish in a tiny backwards town of racist idiots."

I didn't even mention the social construct. I literally brought up issues with the writing ... on a screenwriting web site. Weird huh? Why did you instantly go all crazy on me not being able to accept all the crap you listed when it had zero to do with my post.

SJW much?

Any plot point I listed, which you are too lazy to discuss, would be the appropriate next post. Not flaming me.
                Eric
                www.scriptreadguaranteed.com

Comment

https://tinyurl.com/aymnmr2
                  M.A.G.A.

Comment

If you want to comment on the film, you have to watch the film.
                    First off, that's not true.

Secondly, I wasn't really commenting on the film. I was mostly commenting on your comment about racism, which I thought was pretty obvious.

I even said that it looked like the film dealt with a lot more than racism.

But, whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by jboffer
                      It may not be a rule written into a stone tablet delivered from on high, but I think you know what I mean.

And yes, I understood your post, but I do fail to see any point to it. Which is expected when you haven't seen the film, of which this thread is about.

Seriously, you should see it! It's grand.
                      Fair enough.

Comment

my one problem was torching the police station. right after the cop is summoned there to read a letter? for a second it seemed like a set-up. a coverage note would be "plausibility?, contrivance?"

Comment

Originally posted by jonbbb1 View Post
                          my one problem was torching the police station. right after the cop is summoned there to read a letter? for a second it seemed like a set-up. a coverage note would be "plausibility?, contrivance?"
                          By this time, I've now seen the movie twice — once alone, and once with a friend. My feeling is that watching this film was a lot like watching a play realized on film.

SPOILER ALERT:

Some here have alluded to the film's illogical/unrealistic scenes (see examples above). No one as yet has referred to the scene where Mildred Hayes crotch-kicks two high school students (one of them a teenage girl, no less) and without consequences.

Incredible, in the literal sense of the word, and yet we find ourselves “invested” in Mildred Hayes' plight to a degree such that we expect the plot to roll right along and continue to some conclusion without so much as a second thought about the illegality and impropriety of striking teenage standers-by. Given her frustration at that point in the story, her action almost felt justified to a willing-to-suspend-their-disbelief audience.

In this film, the actions of the main character that would ordinarily result in (legal) conflict and a new direction for the story are ignored in favor of seeing the main character arrive at some sort of acceptance of her circumstances in the time allotted a film to play. (last four words' pun intended)

Even so, allowing not-so-egregious technical details to detract one from experiencing the story (suspension of disbelief) is the simple act required for an audience to view a film since the inception of filmmaking.
                          Last edited by Clint Hill; 09-27-2018, 07:00 AM.
                          “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Great film. Loved it. Was torn on the ending. On the one hand, I was disappointed to have no resolution to finding her daughter's killer by the end.

On the other hand, I liked the idea of the unknown resolution, the idea of wasted efforts and disappointment - because that's life. I also like the thought I had that maybe some day, someone will capture or kill her daughter's rapist/killer the way they were about to kill someone else's rapist/killer. And in the meantime, at least they've done something to make someone just as bad pay, even if it's not the one she wishes it was. Lemonade out of lemons, and all that.

Comment

Working...
                            X