At times this Business sucks the life...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: At times this Business sucks the life...

Originally posted by beerbeastredux View Post
    I hate to say it but come out to LA ( which goes against every bit of advice i WANT to give ) and get to know someone..ANYONE in the biz. slowly get to know people. You will ONLY get your stuff read if you know someone.

Sad..but true. It really is all about "who you know"
    Dude, I don't know anyone in the US side of the business and I've been read many times over. Most of the times I got a NO but I also got one YES. And I don't even live on that side of the Atlantic.

"Artificial Intelligence will never match the efficiency of Natural Stupidity"

Comment

Have to agree with the people who say you don't "need to know someone in the business"...

Writers right here on DD have gotten managers off of a cold query or a contest.

It does help to get a personal recommendation, but what ultimately makes people want to work with a new writer is the material.

If you have good, commercial ideas, know how to write an entertaining script, & are persistent, you will eventually find success.

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

I hate to say it but come out to LA ( which goes against every bit of advice i WANT to give ) and get to know someone..ANYONE in the biz. slowly get to know people. You will ONLY get your stuff read if you know someone.

Sad..but true. It really is all about "who you know"
        This doesn't make any sense. Who keeps you from getting to know people?

You have a script. You don't know anybody. You research who might be good for it (either producing it, or representing you).

Then you contact these people and get them to meet you. How good a logline writer are you? Can you make people curious about your work?

Then you are going to meet them.

Now it depends on who you are. Can you grab their attention and fire up their imagination with your work and your personal qualities, your charm and your entertaining character features?

It's not about who you know, but who you are.
        "Ecco il grande Zampano!"

Comment

I'm convinced I will not sell a script until someone buys one from me.

No doubt someone here will point out the error of my theory.
          TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

I set my expectations HIGH; I expect my first script to be read, optioned and produced in a very short period of time.

However, it's not like I got outta bed last month, wrote an outline for an idea, made it into a movie script, and making all the mistakes, that I've read about on here over the past two years.

The thought process, the writing, the research, the rewriting, asking questions, more rewriting, reading, more research, more questions; ten years later - 50% complete.

Optomistic that I will finish this year, with a very marketable script. Much of the quality of the final product I can credit to the guidance and advice that I have received from professional here on DDP.

I do not buy "in order to be successful, you have to have written a million words, or ten scripts". Unless, you can count rewriting the same words five time.
            Echo

Comment

yeah, have to agree...getting read isn't the hard part. getting them to like your sh!t is the hard part. Or rather, writing really good sh!t that they'll like is the hard part. :-)

MT
              If Lindsey Lohan has a child, and that child will lead...I will follow.

Comment

I see a lot of people here placing great emphasis on "getting read".

As if that were some great accomplishment.

Of course you can 'get read' from cold queries. Of course you can 'get read' without any networking, or friends in the business, or living in LA.

How's 'getting read' working out for you?

It's not defeatist or moronic to suggest that personal connections, networking, or recommendations count for a lot. Especially if you're talking about starting and sustaining a career, and not 'getting read' or getting one option that never goes anywhere and bowing out.

And: this?

I do not buy "in order to be successful, you have to have written a million words, or ten scripts".
                OK. You don't buy it. What are you basing that on?

I feel like I'm branding myself into a nay-saying crank but some of the things I read here just amaze me.

And, finally, to prove I'm not a nay-saying crank, to the OP, when you start to feel down, remember the words of the late great Joe Strummer:

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not. There is nothing more common then unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not. Unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not. The world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and Determination alone are Omnipotent.
                ==========

Comment

Originally posted by Hasil Adkins View Post
                  And, finally, to prove I'm not a nay-saying crank, to the OP, when you start to feel down, remember the words of the late great Joe Strummer:
                  Thanks Hasil. Words to ponder, indeed.
                  Never let the competition know what you're thinking... and never tell the unseen masses your story idea.

-- Rule 85, Ferengi Rules of Acquisition (updated by cmmora)

Comment

Originally posted by Butch Jarvinen View Post
                    I set my expectations HIGH; I expect my first script to be read, optioned and produced in a very short period of time.
                    Not to be an a$$hole, but very rarely does it work this way. At least, in my experience.

Like John Lennon said, Life is what happens when you make plans

I hope you are the exception to the rule, Butch, but be prepared for the long wait most of us have endured.

You can be optimistic, but don't get your hopes up to the point of naivete, or unrealistic expectations.

I do not buy "in order to be successful, you have to have written a million words, or ten scripts". Unless, you can count rewriting the same words five time.
                    Even so called prodigies in their chosen fields had to go through a learning process. This means, the very first things they wrote, played, painted, sculpted were not masterpieces. It takes time to hone one's in-grained talent, irregardless of who they were e.g. Michelangelo; Renoir, etc.

Like Haskil said, getting read is easy. Even in this shrinking economy of specs. I personally know a number of writers on this site who are not in L.A., who are being read by moves and shakers. Myself included.

It's getting those movers and shakers to say, "Yes"... Yes, I want to option this. Yes, I want to buy this. Yes, I want to produce this... This is the brass ring we should all be reaching for with optimistic, but tempered expectations.
                    Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

mostly said tongue in cheek - naw, i'm not that niave. I have the rest of my life. fortunately, my disability keeps me alive and a roof over my head.

once the writing is finished, the work begins

Comment

It's not defeatist or moronic to suggest that personal connections, networking, or recommendations count for a lot. Especially if you're talking about starting and sustaining a career, and not 'getting read' or getting one option that never goes anywhere and bowing out.

Looks to me as any decent career has some strong and important personal connection somewhere.

Like Hemingway's one armed character finds out at the end of his tether: you can't do it alone. (I mean the book, not the sweetish Howard Hawks movie that has nothing to do with the book)
                        Last edited by Ulysses; 01-26-2010, 12:26 PM.

Comment

BeerBeast -- another thought:
                          If you have a good logline and a good attitude, you can get help here at DD, too. I just got a referral to a top manager (former A-list agent) by contacing someone here, who then referred me once he saw my logline.
                          So dude, it is WAY easiser to get to know someone or get read.
                          I hope the others who posted here convinced you just how clueless you are.
                          Write a great script, get on the horn, and something will happen. No doubt about it. The hard part is writing the great script.

Comment

It's not defeatist or moronic to suggest that personal connections, networking, or recommendations count for a lot.
                            Yes, that was my point. It was not to suggest there aren't other paths to success. I am speaking from my own personal experience of working in Hollywood for the last 15 years.

I've worked for Sony, Dreamworks, Cartoon Network, Ted Turner, Nickelodeon, and Fox ( where I'm currently employed ) The job market is BRUTAL. Even with my talent, degree, and resume it took 3 years from my LAST job, to get this one. And the only reason I got in was because I asked a friend who worked here to get me a storyboard test. Even more talented, experienced animators than myself are struggling. The competition is insane.

Now, I also write. I already had an IN at the studios I pitched to, I had a pitbull of an agent pitching my stuff around town. And in 15 years of pitching, I've only ever had ONE property optioned ( a tv show pilot which was never aired )

So that's really all I meant. And as you can see, even when you're "IN" and you "know people" it's still a constant battle. And by no means am I suggesting anyone give up on their dreams.

Comment

Yes, that was my point. It was not to suggest there aren't other paths to success. I am speaking from my own personal experience of working in Hollywood for the last 15 years.

I've worked for Sony, Dreamworks, Cartoon Network, Ted Turner, Nickelodeon, and Fox ( where I'm currently employed ) The job market is BRUTAL. Even with my talent, degree, and resume it took 3 years from my LAST job, to get this one. And the only reason I got in was because I asked a friend who worked here to get me a storyboard test. Even more talented, experienced animators than myself are struggling. The competition is insane.

Now, I also write. I already had an IN at the studios I pitched to, I had a pitbull of an agent pitching my stuff around town. And in 15 years of pitching, I've only ever had ONE property optioned ( a tv show pilot which was never aired )

So that's really all I meant. And as you can see, even when you're "IN" and you "know people" it's still a constant battle. And by no means am I suggesting anyone give up on their dreams.
                              Congratulations on your job.

You original post must have been written in a dark hour. This is why is sounded defeatist to many.

Comment

I see a lot of people here placing great emphasis on "getting read".

As if that were some great accomplishment. :
                                Don't devalue it, though. Reads are a totally necessary thing. You have to be able to get reads and if somebody wants to get happy or feel good about getting a read let 'em, man. Gratifying moments are few and far between in this business and if you have to use those positive moments to propel you forward and build you confidence THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT.

I still remember that great feeling I had when somebody would ask to read my script after querying them. I still remember the excitement of checking my email the next morning after a night of sending out fifty or a hundred e-queries. I’m at a different stage in my career now but those positive moments got me through those cold nights when it was just me starin’ at the mountain, ya know?

Don’t devalue reads…but don’t quit your day job, either, if you’re getting them. Just enjoy the process, hope for the best, and see where it goes.

Of course you can 'get read' from cold queries. Of course you can 'get read' without any networking, or friends in the business, or living in LA.

How's 'getting read' working out for you?
                                It's working out alright, man. I’m on my third manager and I’m repped at a three letter agency. My first two managers I emailed cold. My agent I emailed cold. So those reads worked out real well for me.

I’m a big advocate of moving to LA if at all possible. In my case, it’s not possible right now so I’ve had to do it all outside the walls so to speak. I’m doing it, though. It’s only a matter of time. It definitely can be done. Many of us are proving that. If you can afford to move to LA and work for $8 an hour (or work free) as a prod co or studio intern then go for it. You’ll make tons of contacts and you’ll learn a ton of valuable lessons that will help you as you climb this ladder. If you CAN’T afford to do that or can’t do it for whatever reason, don’t use the fact that you don’t live in LA as the excuse for why you’re not succeeding. Work harder. Write better. Do whatever you need to do but don’t use that as an excuse because it’s a BS excuse, ya know? You can do this from ANYWHERE. That's the beauty of it. Now I want to direct down the line so there may come a time when moving my family to LA is what I need to do but at this stage I don't NEED to be there. I need to go down there a few times a year for a week or so at a time to take meetings. I need to keep cranking out specs. I need to doggedly pursue the assignments my reps put me up for. I need to keep nurturing my contacts...but I don't NEED to live in LA. Not yet. Maybe not ever? I don't know. Time will tell.

I agree with this statement, Hasil, but that’s NOT what was initially said, though (and I appreciate you backtracking, beer)…what was initially said was:

You will ONLY get your stuff read if you know someone.

And that, my friend, IS moronic and defeatist because in so many cases (mine included) it’s simply not true. It's just not.

In Spring 2005, I started writing my first script and knew nobody in the industry…not a soul…I’d send them emails pitching my script and some would ask to read the script and some wouldn't. That first script (which according to many posters here would have to be total piece of crap because it was my first script) went on to win a contest...not a major contest...but my script won this little contest and the guy who is currently my agent was on the Advisory Board for that contest and that fact would help me big time later on when I emailed him cold asking him to read my stuff. That would have never happened had I thrown that script in the trash heap because a lot of people on here say first scripts suck. Mine didn't. Yours might not, either.

Slowly but surely..starting with that very first script...I started building a network of fans...people who liked that first spec and told me they were open to reading whatever I wrote the next. The next time around it was a little easier getting reads.

I’m a big advocate of writers going after representation. A writer needs quality representation, especially when approaching this from out of town. Target managers and agents. It’s gonna be hard. It’s very competitive. These guys and gals have a ton of writers and scripts to choose from so they’re typically very selective but somewhere out there is the one that will get your voice and see the potential in you. That’s corny but true.

If you work hard enough and write well enough your script is the thing that will introduce you to people. Your script is the thing that will make people want to know who you are. Think of it like wearing a name tag at a conference or whatever. Make sure your name tag says, “Hi, my name is Joe and I’m a BAD ASS.”

Now go be bad asses, people.
                                "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

Working...
                                X