Game of Thrones - Season 4 (SPOILERS ALLOWED/BOOK READERS THREAD)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game of Thrones - Season 4 (SPOILERS ALLOWED/BOOK READERS THREAD)

This thread is for the BOOK READERS of Game of Thrones. SPOILERS are allowed. It's for people who have read all the books, who want to discuss this season, with spoilers.

NON-BOOK READERS STAY OUT OF THIS THREAD!!!!!

Re: Game of Thrones - Season 4 (SPOILERS ALLOWED/BOOK READERS THREAD)

Oh good, since I otherwise live in fear of messing up in regular threads and giving away something that lands me in hot water with the spoiler free hordes.

Comment

Great introduction for THE RED VIPER. That Hound and Arya scene was brutal. Arya and the Hound seem like they are going to be on some medieval Bonnie & Clyde this season. lol

This was a great season opener.

Comment

Deion to the rescue!!!
        http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Yeah, keep those nerds out of here....or, wait....are we the.... Nah.
          On Twitter @DeadManSkipping

Comment

I like how the Red Viper is very Boba Fett like in that his coolness factor far exceeds his actual screen/book time. That's more of just a prediction for how it will play out, but I feel pretty confident in it.

All I'm doing this season is trying to predict which episodes the major events will take place. By my count, 9 mid to major characters are going to bite it this season (although a couple could be delayed a little for story reasons since they actually have little impact on what's going on front and center). But, anyway, 9 deaths and only 9 episodes to go should make for some excitement ahead.

Here, I'll white out the names and maybe I'm forgetting some Joffrey, the Mountain, Red Viper, the drunk knight, Theon's dad, Ygritte, possibly the Hound (I honestly can't remember that one, was he just left for dead, or did he die?), Shae, and Tywin. And maybe Bolton's bastard. And maybe they'll throw in a couple of Crows, too.

I think episode 3 or 4 will be the one that gets everyone talking. Whenever it happens, I also predict it will actually be done in a way that makes us feel sorry for the victim and his kin...at least a lot more than people who have been anxiously awaiting this development for quite some time (even those who haven't read the books). In other words, it's going to be painful and gruesome and sad.

And I think this season will absolutely solidify The Game of Thrones as one of the best shows ever made.

So, there are my spoilery, but not completely spoilery predictions.

Comment

Nope, the Hound sticks around. The others bite it. And you missed one, although I don't think we've seen her yet: Lysa Arryn And then there is the one who does the opposite - that should get interesting. Names whited out just in case anyone stumbles over here by mistake.

Also, yes, I liked how they fleshed out the Viper, who never gets much of a character in the book (as far as I remember) despite playing a fairly important role in later events.

Comment

Originally posted by tinlizzie View Post
                Nope, the Hound sticks around. The others bite it. And you missed one, although I don't think we've seen her yet: Lysa Arryn And then there is the one who does the opposite - that should get interesting. Names whited out just in case anyone stumbles over here by mistake.

Also, yes, I liked how they fleshed out the Viper, who never gets much of a character in the book (as far as I remember) despite playing a fairly important role in later events.
                Don't worry man. You can speak freely. This is a book readers thread.

Comment

Originally posted by tinlizzie View Post

Oh, yeah, forgot about the sister. We haven't seen her since season one. I would think her demise and Theon's dad could easily take place in the next season....they have to save some dramatic moments for when it kind of bogs down.

Comment

Finally that bastard Joffrey bit the dust. The internet is about to explode with celebration.

I loved the WAR OF 5 Kings with the dwarfs. Nice chaneg from the books. Oberyn was perfectly cast. I loved how he threatened Cersei and Tywin. Letting them know that Marcella is in Dorne, so don't **** with him.

Makeup did a great job with the final shot of Joffrey's ravaged face. I like how they didn't give it away who murdered Joffrey and left it open as a whodunnit mystery for the audience.

Jack Glesson is going to go down as one of the GOAT villains in TV history. I hated Joffrey, which showed how great of a job Glesson did acting wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Deion22 View Post

Makeup did a great job with the final shot of Joffrey's ravaged face. I like how they didn't give it away who murdered Joffrey and left it open as a whodunnit mystery for the audience.

Jack Glesson is going to go down as one of the GOAT villains in TV history. I hated Joffrey, which showed how great of a job Glesson did acting wise.
                      Yes he did a great job. His slow and agonizing death was sooo sweet and joyful after the way he was acting. This was one of my favorite scenes in the show so far.

Comment

Ding dong, the boy wtch is dead! Having never read the books, I was waiting for something to happen to that little sh*t. And it FINALLY did! What a wonderfully delicious ending to a truly horrid (though exceptionally portrayed) character!

It was so amazing that I was even willing to look past the fact that the episode had no Jon, Arya, and Daenerys.

Comment

So what did anyone think about ep. 3? As usual after a big event, it was one of the quieter ones, but had some "memorable" moments. There were ones I liked, such as the scene between Tyrion and Pod, or Tywin dispassionately schooling Tommen on the qualities of a "good" king over Joffery's corpse, and Ollenna's assertion that Maergary's next husband should be "easier." Although I will say that when it comes to that last scene, I feel like they're playing Maergary as a bit less complicit in the scheming than I remember her from the books. I find her most interesting when she's portrayed as the successor to the wiles of the Queen of Thorns.

Then there's the part I didn't like - the rape scene. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember it being consensual (at least eventually) in the books. It's an important deviation because I remember Jaimie struggling with his obsession for her while at the same time being disgusted by her as she resorts to using her wiles on many men as she tries to maintain power. The consensual scene in the books really played on that with Jaimie seeming motivated by anger and lust and Cersei giving in in an attempt to bind his flagging devotion more securely. Important when you consider that Jaimie is shortly going to let Tyrion go.

Anyway, i was wondering what anyone thought this change might mean, assuming it was purposeful and I really hope it was purposeful. If it wasn't it says some disturbing things about whoever's sensibilities were so off they let this slide through.

Comment

According to Alex Graves (director of the episode) it wasn't supposed to be rape. It was supposed to be forceful at first and then Cersei gives in. Unfortunately it was a failed attempt at conveying that because the internet exploded declaring Jamie a rapist.

I remember the scene was a grey area in the book, but it never truly felt like rape in the books. It just felt like Cersei was trying to use sex to have a hold over Jamie.

Comment

I feel like a lot of people are overlooking one of the key elements of the scene.

After Cersei asks Jaime to kill Tyrion, they start to kiss-- and Cersei's pretty into it (though she may have started kissing him mainly as a way to induce him to kill Tyrion).

Anyway, things get hot and heavy-- UNTIL JAIME TOUCHES HER WITH HIS FAKE HAND, which is when Cersei recoils in disgust.

That's what gets Jaime so angry-- the implication that he is no longer a complete man worthy of his sister.

He then calls her a "hateful woman" and forcibly kisses her. She initially resists and repeatedly tells him to "Stop it!", but immediately thereafter she kisses him back pretty passionately, grabbing his head with both her hands.

Right after that second passionate kiss is when he pushes her to the ground and starts to penetrate her. That's when she changes her protestations to "It's not right."

Anyway, the second passionate kiss is to me what prevents this from being a straightforward rape-- which it would have been otherwise given her clear cries of "Stop it!"

After that second kiss, her saying "It's not right" (which I think even in a modern-day legal context is not quite the same as saying "No" or "Stop it") could I think be interpreted by Jaime as no different than the "not rightness" of their being brother and sister.

On the other hand (which I guess must be Cersei's), what argues against a consensual interpretation is that Cersei is clearly uncomfortably whimpering as she repeatedly says "It's not right" while Jaime is on top of her.

But is that because she feels she's being raped, or because she's mourning the dead son whose arm she's grasping?

Anyway, my point is that there's a lot going on in the scene, and whether or not you consider what he did rape, I think Jaime's actions are true to his character, given how often Jaime has seemed emasculated by the loss of his hand.

Comment

Working...
                              X