Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Juno - Playing Everywhere Christmas Day

Also, HAROLD AND MAUDE and "prune" in the same post is funny.
    "Tone is now engaged in a furious Google search for Leighton Meester's keester." -- A friend of mine

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphy W View Post
      Thank god for that, Goo, because there's no one around to give me the Heimlich Maneuver, and the chair in my office isn't stable enough for me to do it myself.

And by "office" you mean in the dumpster behind the Kinkos on Sunset.

Comment

Too soon?

Comment

I made a dump in my pants.
          "Tone is now engaged in a furious Google search for Leighton Meester's keester." -- A friend of mine

Comment

I definitely agree with Jakkal and winter dreams and I don't take the phrase "I didn't get it" as an insult at all. I'm 25. I watched Thundercats as a kid. I probably said homeskillet ten years ago. But, I didn't get Juno at all. Maybe there really wasn't much to get and that was the point; maybe it was supposed to be a reflection of Cody's cool, hip, retro sensibilities shoved into a formula that is proven to work.

Much like WritersBlock, I didn't get Napoleon Dynamite either. That film and Juno are two completely different movies with two completely different senses of humor, but, in my opinion, they suffer from the same problem: unrealistic characters with unrealistic dialogue.

I can see why people would like Juno and Napoleon Dynamite. I really do. All of my brother's myspace-obsessed friends loved it because the whole witty retro thing is cool now. So, I can appreciate that. I, however, just can't understand for the life of me how Juno is getting so much recognition for its screenwriting. Perhaps politics and marketability are more important than substance. Then again, I'm not one to agree with the academy on many instances. I still think A Beautiful Mind is a so-so movie that was awarded way more than it deserved because of politics, but, hey, that's a different argument I guess.

Comment

I've only seen bits and pieces of 'Juno', but in all instances the talent in this film seems to be the lead actress rather than the writer.

Comment

Originally posted by Floresco View Post
                I definitely agree with Jakkal and winter dreams and I don't take the phrase "I didn't get it" as an insult at all. I'm 25. I watched Thundercats as a kid. I probably said homeskillet ten years ago. But, I didn't get Juno at all. Maybe there really wasn't much to get and that was the point; maybe it was supposed to be a reflection of Cody's cool, hip, retro sensibilities shoved into a formula that is proven to work.

Much like WritersBlock, I didn't get Napoleon Dynamite either. That film and Juno are two completely different movies with two completely different senses of humor, but, in my opinion, they suffer from the same problem: unrealistic characters with unrealistic dialogue.

I can see why people would like Juno and Napoleon Dynamite. I really do. All of my brother's myspace-obsessed friends loved it because the whole witty retro thing is cool now. So, I can appreciate that. I, however, just can't understand for the life of me how Juno is getting so much recognition for its screenwriting. Perhaps politics and marketability are more important than substance. Then again, I'm not one to agree with the academy on many instances. I still think A Beautiful Mind is a so-so movie that was awarded way more than it deserved because of politics, but, hey, that's a different argument I guess.
                Thank you for sensibly and respectfully disagreeing.

Comment

Goon:

It may be one movie... But it is a movie being championed by Oscar voters and by extension the industry itself. It's a high visibility project and the fact it HAS made back about four, five times its budget is also another factor.

I never said it was going to redefine the landscape. But it is definitely going to influence it for some time to come. That influence is what I particuarly am not a fan of because like others I find the dialog and characters are just so unrealistic -- Even for fiction -- That if you want to be noticed you have to "conform" to this standard for a while. Yes, it will pass, but I think it will take a significant amount of time and may have even more influence once the strike is over. You're on the "inside" so maybe these "fears" are not founded...
                  Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

PULP FICTION was just one movie, and look at all the damage it did.

Comment

Saw this. Went in ready to hate it and it won me over. Dialogue is a little too gratuitously quirky for me, but I liked the message. It was inspiring.

Don't understand all the people here who don't 'get' the acclaim over the screenplay.

It's pretty simple. 95% of people (screenwriters, plumbers, firemen, people on the street) ARE NOT THAT FUNNY. If you can write a one liner that even resembles a joke you will be a highly sought out and award nominated writer. Kevin Smith has seven statues* on his mantle, for god's sake.

I'm not saying Juno made me laugh a lot (it didn't). I'm just saying the hackwork that passes for comedy in this country is paled by it.

*none of them are Oscars, but still

Comment

Originally posted by WritersBlock2010 View Post
                        Goon:

I never said it was going to redefine the landscape.
                        No, that's true that you never said that, but I wanted to make clear that I don't think it's going to be terribly influential outside of the market for that kind of film - which has existed for some time.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakkal View Post
                          VMF, I have no idea what pop culture movement in the past you "didn't get" that made you horribly unpopular with your peeps and left a deep-seated trauma but, it's time to let go and heal, man.
                          LOL, quite the nerd factory on here today.

I will also say that I enjoyed Juno, and thought the writing was pretty good, and have no issues with it, other than some fanboys telling those who did not like it, that they "just don't get it".

If you didn't like it, that's cool with me, and as this is pretty simple movie I won't assume you didn't get "it", and that you did get "it", but "it" probably wasn't up to your standards/likes. I can understand that too, as there are parts of the movie I didn't like.

There's love/hate, like/dislike/antipathy, but substituting "you didn't get it!" is something a 8-year old would scream when a friend tells him that Phantom Menace did not deserve the Oscar for Best Pic.

Comment

Originally posted by suzeaa View Post
                            I've only seen bits and pieces of 'Juno', but in all instances the talent in this film seems to be the lead actress rather than the writer.
                            This is a very good comment, and without Ellen Page, I doubt we would be talking about it.

Comment

Originally posted by vmf View Post
                              LOL, quite the nerd factory on here today.

I will also say that I enjoyed Juno, and thought the writing was pretty good, and have no issues with it, other than some fanboys telling those who did not like it, that they "just don't get it".

If you didn't like it, that's cool with me, and as this is pretty simple movie I won't assume you didn't get "it", and that you did get "it", but "it" probably wasn't up to your standards/likes. I can understand that too, as there are parts of the movie I didn't like.

There's love/hate, like/dislike/antipathy, but substituting "you didn't get it!" is something a 8-year old would scream when a friend tells him that Phantom Menace did not deserve the Oscar for Best Pic.
                              Hehe, I can see where that would come off as fanboyish. In this case, that phrase just seemed like an easier way of saying "it just didn't click with you and that's fine"

But as the saying in Spanish goes, "the lazy guy works double" (in wanting to cut a corner and save a couple of words, I ended up writing a couple of paragraphs more to explain them.) Oh well, c'est la vie.

Comment

Gotta say that those that say she just got up one day and wrote for two months and wala a master piece is so out of touch with what really happened. Diablo took months to write this thing as she went from part-time stripper to a full fledge pole dancer, she met up with high rollers those that don't dash on singles but twenties and hundreds. truth is she found an in either through those strip house clients or other. she pounded that script over and over, eventually the concept was the selling point, though I'm sure she had good gusto with her dialogue.

just trying to make the point that the media likes to hype up new comers as if they just one day picked up the pen and presto 60 days later a full fledge film.
                                it could make some newbees say dam " why am i taking months to get my **** off the ground? **** not good enough? i don't know. all i know is that rewrites take months to get to a production level.

not trying to water the flames of glory here :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X