Looking for examples of Great Martial Arts movies...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Looking for examples of Great Martial Arts movies...

Awesome suggestions.
    Never let the competition know what you're thinking... and never tell the unseen masses your story idea.

-- Rule 85, Ferengi Rules of Acquisition (updated by cmmora)

Comment

Good additions. For you Brigitte Lin fans, there's also The Bride with White Hair (she actually plays a woman, albeit a wolf woman ha ha). And for you Michelle Yeoh fans, there's also Wing Chun (which has very little Wing Chun in it, but whatever, the fight scenes are cool) and Yes, Madam (she dukes it out with Cynthia Rothrock).

On the supernatural tip, there's Mr. Vampire starring Lam Ching-ying, the lesser known member of Jackie Chan's Seven Little Fortunes. Perhaps the greatest kung fu vampire comedy ever made The fight scenes kick ass.
      Nobody's perfect.

Comment

I looovve Shaolin vs. Lama. It was awesome.

This one was good too...

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Hero-Chi.../dp/630318460X

Comment

@JRS3

Yes, Wing Chun and those other handful of films that Michelle did in the early 90s are collectables. Pound for pound, Michelle was the coolest and most beautiful to watch. Everything she did was beautiful and it still doesn't approach a true definition of her artistry.

And anything with Bridgette Lin -- how about Peking Opera Blues? Didn't Tarentino rip off the gun scene in that tavern? Three funny women in a classic, epic tale. If Lucille Ball was alive and young, that could be a remake.

Comment

Originally posted by cmmora View Post
            with hopefully links to their scripts. What I'm actually looking for is the more realistic MA as opposed, for example, to stylistic wire work or an abundance of SFX.
            Red Belt http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1012804/ can't get more real than david mamet -- cool story.

Comment

Sorry: "If Lucille Ball were alive...

Must remember the subjunctive.

Comment

Originally posted by Norm View Post
                @JRS3

And anything with Bridgette Lin -- how about Peking Opera Blues? Didn't Tarentino rip off the gun scene in that tavern? Three funny women in a classic, epic tale. If Lucille Ball was alive and young, that could be a remake.
                Personally, I think PEKING OPERA BLUES was very uneven, and doesn't really hold up well. All the more reason for it to be remade.
                Twitter: @WriterLe

Comment

As an addendum to the Jackie Chan portion of this discussion -- My list of Chan's 20 greatest fight scenes: http://www.geekweek.com/2010/06/20-g...ht-scenes.html
                  Twitter: @WriterLe

Comment

PEKING OPERA BLUES does need an editor. Not perfect by a long shot, which is why it did not make my final cut. Good observation.

Comment

Originally posted by JRS3 View Post
                      Good additions. For you Brigitte Lin fans, there's also The Bride with White Hair (she actually plays a woman, albeit a wolf woman ha ha). And for you Michelle Yeoh fans, there's also Wing Chun (which has very little Wing Chun in it, but whatever, the fight scenes are cool) and Yes, Madam (she dukes it out with Cynthia Rothrock).

On the supernatural tip, there's Mr. Vampire starring Lam Ching-ying, the lesser known member of Jackie Chan's Seven Little Fortunes. Perhaps the greatest kung fu vampire comedy ever made The fight scenes kick ass.
                      Lam Ching-ying was not a member of the Seven Little Fortunes. He was a member of a rival Peking Opera troupe who became good friends with Sammo and a member of the Hung Jia Ban (Sammo Hung stunt team).
                      Last edited by Huangjinyoujiao; 10-17-2010, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cmmora View Post
                        with hopefully links to their scripts. What I'm actually looking for is the more realistic MA as opposed, for example, to stylistic wire work or an abundance of SFX.
                        What style of realistic martial arts fighting are you looking for? Something more traditional like old school Kung fu or something more modern like Bruce Lee or Jackie Chan.

I am a fight choreographer and have worked with both Sammo Hung and Jackie Chan. I would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have about martial arts or cinematic fight scenes.

Comment

Originally posted by Huangjinyoujiao View Post
                          Lam Ching-yin was not a member of the Seven Little Fortunes. He was a member of a rival Peking Opera troupe who became good friends with Sammo and a member of the Hung Jia Ban (Sammo Hung stunt team).
                          I stand corrected and I'm impressed by your knowledge.

Did he work with Bruce Lee before then?
                          Nobody's perfect.

Comment

How have I not responded to this thread already?

I've always been a big fan of the fantasy films, the wuxia stuff. So I like Crouching Tiger and its ilk. House of Flying Daggers is probably my favorite.

Once Upon a Time in China was the first real martial arts film I saw, and it made me love those films, so it will always be my favorite.

Also Jet Li's Fearless I enjoyed.

And of course Old Boy.

I just read this book: Chasing Dragons, about the history of martial arts films, so I have a lot of older movies in my queue thanks to reading it. Unfortunately a lot of the titles he talks about are unavailable on DVD.
                            Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Oldboy isn't a martial arts flick, just an Asian one.

Comment

Originally posted by wildzero View Post
                                Oldboy isn't a martial arts flick, just an Asian one.
                                I guess you missed that scene where he fought his way down the hallway.

Oh and I just remembered another great martial arts sequence: a Tony Jaa film called The Protector. Don't think anyone's mentioned it, but I didn't read every post. There's something like a ten minute sequence where he goes up a flight of stairs beating ass, and it's all done in one take.
                                Last edited by emily blake; 10-17-2010, 04:40 PM.
                                Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Working...
                                X