Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where should I go from here?

I'll come clean from the start here and admit , I'm not a writer , I've never had much interest in writing , I'm not really qualified or had any previous experience writing , however..

A year ago i had an idea for a film i had to write it , a few months ago i began writing it and since then my passion for writing the story became very strong, I researched about writing and bought screen writing books and I've wrote the script , rewrote and rewrote so that i believe its the best i personally can do ,

i believe it's definitely something that can work for me, but i'm stuck at this point now where i've given it to my friends they all think it's great but obviously they're no expert, neither am i , i dont know where to go from here now, i COULD send it out to agencies but i dont feel that its ready solely because im very critical of my own work and i'm a perfectionist so i feel like i need a professional to say 'hey that's good enough to send off' , what im asking is does anyone here know what i should do , an unknown inexperienced writer with a spec script ?

Re: Where should i go from here?

I was gonna suggest posting a sample in Script Pages forum, but you already did this! Also consider posting a logline in Loglines and Query Letters forum.

Comment

I was going to say put it on the Black List, but you've got writing mistakes in almost every line. No one's going to take you seriously with a script in that condition.

Either learn the mechanics of writing, or hire someone who knows how to write.
      "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Strike one; I hate it when I have to look up a word (in the title no less) to connect to the story. Maybe this just shows a lack of reading on my part.

If you've done all this reading, and HIEROPHANT was the best word you could come up with for a title, I think a lot more attention should have been paid to format and structure. I've never seen "MEMORY" used to slug a past event.

I couldn't get past all the obvious errors to get into the story. It is definitely NOT ready to send out to anybody

Comment

Depends on what you want.

If you enjoy writing, keep writing. Explore, delve, have fun. See what you've got inside. Don't think about the outcome.

If you want to improve your screenwriting skills, read some scripts that are available online and keep at it. But don't waste time thinking about agencies at this phase of your development. It will only kill the fun you might be having.

If you need to tell this story, hire a writer and consider another medium. Graphic novel? Short film? Web? Self-publish for your circle of friends?

If you need to make this story into a movie, go for it. Especially if you can fund it yourself or are willing to spend lots of time (years) finding that one producer who shares your passion. In the latter case, expect a lot more rewriting -- likely by another writer.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony94 View Post
            A year ago i had an idea for a film i had to write it , a few months ago i began writing it and since then my passion for writing the story became very strong, I researched about writing and bought screen writing books and I've wrote the script , rewrote and rewrote so that i believe its the best i personally can do ,
            Tough love time.

You really think that's the best you can do? With typos, misused punctuation, and all that? Something that looks completely unproofed, to say nothing of probably not edited at all.

If that is really the best you can do, then you can't go anywhere from here. Nobody's going to be interested.

Lucky for you, I really really doubt that's the best you can do. You're just going to have to work harder than you're used to working, and work more than you're used to working.

Comment

@Butch .. The title does definitely connect to the story.. maybe you're right about changing it to something more interesting sounding though

I guess i have been lazy on my grammar! i was going to proof-read it plenty of times before sending it anywhere , i just wanted feedback on the start of it , my mistake

Comment

It's not just an issue with grammar. It's also an issue with the writing, but that's not something to get uptight about. Writing and story-telling are skills that have to be learned. Even if you have talent it still takes thousands of hours to perfect that skill. Usually the difference between a successful writer and an unsuccessful isn't talent, it's perseverance and commitment.

You've made a small mistake already in jumping the gun... don't compound it by thinking you can clean up some technical issues and then start submitting this. It's nowhere near ready. Odds are this story will never be ready as it's your first script... so you need to give some serious thought as to where to go from here. Are you prepared to spend the next several years plus reading more scripts and writing five to ten of your own knowing it's all part of the learning process?

If you decide you want to commit to that then realize you don't even know all the stuff you don't know yet. Commit to read a few scripts a week and then do your best to surround yourself (online is fine) with other writers.

Make some contacts here on DD if you can. Spend some time on Triggerstreet ( I think it's the best resource online for new writers.) Review amateur scripts there and you'll soon see the same issues in your script that they are struggling with. That's the place to start working on your script as well. Odds are you'll rewrite your first script a half-dozen times and then realize you need to abandon it and move on to another (at that point you'll breath a sigh of relief that you didn't actually send it out.)

While on Triggerstreet try to join or put together a writers group with four or five other writers whose work appeals to you. That's a great way to learn as well.
                If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.
                Dave Barry

Comment

Re: Where should I go from here?

MoviePoet.com is a great place to start, too. It's a monthly 5-page screenwriting contest with an assigned element - might be a place, a character, a line of dialogue, or something else. Everyone writes a 5-page script and uploads it by the end of the month. The next month, everyone critiques and scores everyone else's (anonymous) script. It's a really great way to learn, because you're writing and critiquing, seeing what other people are doing with the same basic concepts, and making connections, but it's only 5 pages at a time. Plus, the assigned element can push you out of your comfort zone and force you to try new things.
                  Patrick Sweeney

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony94 View Post
                    I guess i have been lazy on my grammar! i was going to proof-read it plenty of times before sending it anywhere , i just wanted feedback on the start of it , my mistake
                    But you said you rewrote it multiple times and you thought it was the best you could do. Was that a lie? (Doesn't matter so much that you lied to us. Was it a lie to yourself?)

This is a business where you're going to have to raise your game.

Comment

Working...
                    X