Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Georgia Vestakis/Zero Gravity Management

If you've copyrighted your script, you have proof of your ownership of the 'elements' (characterizations, plot, unique twists etc.), and you should also have an email/paper trail of your submissions.

But since you're talking about undeveloped loglines and ideas, that's where you should probably be wary, and offer to send someone a synopsis instead of just telling them over the phone.
    Last edited by Sherbet; 12-23-2010, 11:02 AM.
    I am a master of dontopedalogy, the science of opening one's mouth and inserting one's foot it in.

It's not an art, it's a science.

Comment

Yes, my work is protected to the best of my knowledge and I've kept all e-mails and correspondence..but you can't fight the man.

My only solution at the moment..is to stop writing. I haven't written a stitch in over seven months, and actually it's been liberating to know that no one else can screw me over, especially in this economy where I've been struggling.

If there is a manager, producer or production company who is legitimate, honorable and trustworthy I have yet to find one...because they don't exist. I guess I won't be receiving any Christmas miracles this year.

Comment

Originally posted by spacefarer View Post
        Is that more than a read request?
        They liked one script and want to see more.
        "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

i think ZG is one of those mgmt companies that request 15 percent. after reading whats been said about them on this thread, it further supports the idea that mgrs who take 15 are to be avoided.

Comment

Originally posted by bram20 View Post

My only solution at the moment..is to stop writing. I haven't written a stitch in over seven months, and actually it's been liberating to know that no one else can screw me over, especially in this economy where I've been struggling.

If there is a manager, producer or production company who is legitimate, honorable and trustworthy I have yet to find one...because they don't exist. I guess I won't be receiving any Christmas miracles this year.
            Bitter party of one, your table is ready.

Originally posted by night fugue View Post
            Has anyone signed with Zero Gravity Management and had them actually go out with the spec script got their interest in the first place? Or do all of ZGM's clients end up writing scripts from scratch based on ZGM's ideas?
            I was repped by ZG way back when. They were responsible for helping me get my first studio gig after sending one of my own scripts wide. I only paid 10 percent commission on my deal. I found them to be competent managers who are very involved in their clients careers and want the best for them. They're good people too. We later parted ways amicably because it was just time for me to move on. It happens. In that time, I only developed my own material.
            https://twitter.com/#!/moviewriterJeff

Comment

To be honest with you I really don't give a hoot if anyone on this board believes me or not..I think the consensus of posts back me up on my claims.

Comment

To be honest with you I really don't give a hoot if anyone on this board believes me or not..I think the consensus of posts back me up on my claims.
                Try actually reading the entire thread, not just your own posts. If you did, you would see the following...

Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post
                They request a lot of scripts, which is a good thing for writers. And they're pretty active, which is even more good. Four sales this year on DD, including two specs. When they partner with agents, it seems to be mostly Paradigm. Bad news is when they pass they don't tell you or comment on the script in any way.
                Originally posted by streaker12345 View Post
                I would suggest not to submit through Georgia. At best she'll let you know they have passed and nothing else. I queried the managers themselves and have had four reads. One manager passed, gave feedback and wants to look at future work. The second read one and gave me a page of coverage and at the moment is viewing two other scripts. It seems like they liked my scripts but so far ould not pull the trigger. The managers I'm dealing with respond to emails and are pleasure to talk with.
                Originally posted by prescribe22 View Post
                I've been repped by them. It's very much a team environment. They work their a$$es off, they've got excellent industry connections, and they know strategy.

I'm definitely not their most experienced or bankable client (hopefully that will change), but I've received nothing but top notch fostering and attention.

This is a very tough time to be a new writer. Simply taking scripts out into the spec market is not the go-to strategy it once was, and even the meetings that result don't seem to be going anywhere.

IMO, it really takes a keen sense of strategy and the ability to give a script multiple avenues for success.

I've seen ZG do this first hand. And while I haven't sold a script as of yet, you can do a little research and see their methods have worked for other clients.

In any event, I know they've made me a better writer and they've worked very hard to market my work. As far as I'm concerned, that's all you can ask for as a client.

They've done their part. Hopefully their investment in me and my material is going to pay off soon.

(remember: These reps don't get paid unless our scripts sell. All the work they put in is an investment. Just like the work we put in.)

BTW, those who say going through Georgia won't lead anywhere are wrong. That's the road I took.

Originally posted by mesmerist View Post
                I'm a client there also, and I'm very happy with the support I've gotten from the team. Eric is always pleasant to deal with, the development notes are top-notch and they really believe in hanging in there with you over the long haul, if they believe in your work.
                Most of the other posts were asking for contact info, asking how long it took to get read and the rest seemed to be just conjecture. Oh, and then there was all of your rambling about how no one in the business is honest, trustworthy or legitimate.

Comment

Merry Christmas

Comment

like someone else, who i can see has had an inkling of contact with the industry said - "If you register and copyright your story - not an idea - but a well thought out treament/sans script - then you are protected from vultures - still - dont give up the whole outline to the world. just bits and pieces...

wks

Comment

Originally posted by lordmanji View Post
                      i think ZG is one of those mgmt companies that request 15 percent. after reading whats been said about them on this thread, it further supports the idea that mgrs who take 15 are to be avoided.
                      I thought 15% for managers was standard??
                      "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
                        10 percent is standard. If ZG, or anyone else wants 15, negotiate with them. (I never had to negotiate this with ZG when I was with them.) I would never pay 15 percent - to ZG or anyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by mrjonesprods View Post
                          10 percent is standard. If ZG, or anyone else wants 15, negotiate with them. (I never had to negotiate this with ZG when I was with them.) I would never pay 15 percent - to ZG or anyone else.
                          Yeah, this was all hashed out in the past month in another thread. I think it's fair, especially since there are all the other potential middle-persons (agent, lawyer, business manager, etc.) On the other hand, if they used to expect 15, and are now being expected to take 10, it's another reason for them to only take a risk on the best of the best, of the known quantities, on the same-old same-old types of specs. That's understandable and predictable, and if it in any way translates into more empowered screenwriters and better product for the consumer, great. But it certainly makes the business an even tougher nut to crack into.

Comment

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
                            who sold you that bull?

Comment

ZG charges 10%.

"Artificial Intelligence will never match the efficiency of Natural Stupidity"

Comment

Yes, my work is protected to the best of my knowledge and I've kept all e-mails and correspondence..but you can't fight the man.

I'm probably going off topic here, but you CAN fight 'the man' - and win. If you have proof of your intellectual property, and have a solid case, there are plenty of lawyers out there who will take it up on a contingency fee basis.

A production company that "steals" someone's work won't be in business for very long.

You sound like you prefer to be paranoid because it gives you an excuse not to write.
                                I am a master of dontopedalogy, the science of opening one's mouth and inserting one's foot it in.

It's not an art, it's a science.

Comment

Working...
                                X