Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bunkers, bazookas, bullets, and sandbags

1. If you shot a bazooka round into the opening (window slit) in a concrete bunker, what would happen? (I assume it depends on how thick the concrete was, but in general?)

Would the shell just rip through the other side? Blow the sides or roof off? Or what?

Would you need to follow up with a grenade, or would that be overkill?

2. What does it sound like when machine gun bullets hit a sandbag next to your head? Do you hear anything in addition to the ratatatatata as the bullets hit? If so, how would you describe it?
    "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Re: bunkers, bazookas, bullets, and sandbags

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
    1. If you shot a bazooka round into the opening (window slit) in a concrete bunker, what would happen? (I assume it depends on how thick the concrete was, but in general?)

Would the shell just rip through the other side? Blow the sides or roof off? Or what?

2. What does it sound like when machine gun bullets hit a sandbag next to your head? Do you hear anything in addition to the ratatatatata as the bullets hit? If so, how would you describe it?
    1. It depends on the construction of the bunker. Some are built better than others. Either way the concussion would render the occupants senseless for a minute or so, if not kill them. The bunker would NOT be destroyed.

2. When bullets hit anything solid there is a loud sound. When they hit something soft it is muffled or has almost no sound.

hope this helps a little

Comment

Good to know! Thanks!

Would machine gun fire hitting sandbags next to your head realistically sound like "thupathupathupa..."?
      "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Good to know! Thanks!

Would machine gun fire hitting sandbags next to your head realistically sound like "thupathupathupa..."?
        The sounds really depends on distance, fire rate, caliber of bullets, etc. I'm sure that sound you have would be fine, if not you could always use it for the name of an Aztec leader.

Comment

Re: Bunkers, bazookas, bullets, and sandbags

Entertaining and educational.

Bazooka!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRPsxgOozqk

WWII Infantry Weapons

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QgXuhv7-54

AT4 if we're dealing with the modern era

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SXMapKtHOE
          Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Comment

I ain't an expert but I am a keen amateur...

the original ww2 bazooka was a low velocity rocket. Certainly wouldn't rip through the far side of a bunker but the rocket would explode on impact.

the projectile was designed as a shaped charged, essentially rather than explode in 360 degrees the explosive melted a metal liner, this molten metal was projected like a jet forwards to penetrate armour... having said that you wouldn't want to get too close as there'd still be plenty of fragments and so on.

In Anthony Beevor's book Berlin he claimed that Russians used panzerfausts (German bazookas) to penetrate the walls between row houses in street fighting capturing the German capital. Basically you'd capture house one, set up a Pzft at the communal wall between house one and two and blow a hole, then charge through with grenades and sub machine guns.
            This indicates how the charge worked, it had the ability of punch a hole without bringing down a house. There is a bit of conjecture over the validity of this, the the panzerfaust is a recoilless gun some people wonder if it could be fired indoors without rupturing eardrums and the like. Dunno but that could be a plot point?

As to the bullets hitting a sandbagged they'd sound like high velocity somethings hitting whatever material they hit. Depends how far away the MG was.
            According to Wiki a browning M1919 has an effective firing range of 1,500 yd (1,400 m) (maximum effective range) at that range you might not even hear the weapon amongst the cacophony or war, and the super sonic bullets would arrive before the sound of the reports anyway so you might hear splat splat splat, bang bang bang
            I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

I'm far from an expert on bunker-busting, but I think it'd be a stretch for a shoulder-fired missile, particularly from pre-Cold War era, to even "rip through the other side" of a legitimate bunker. Most likely, you'd get an internal explosion that would inflict serious casualties given the confined nature of the interior.

As for the sound of bullets hitting sandbags, I can't say I've ever had bullets hit sandbags near my head, but I've had them rip through the air and through wooden frames, some 5ft above my head, and they always made a loud crack when they hit and a sort of whoosh/whipping sound when they missed. When the bullets would hit the berm above us (an earth embankment reinforced with concrete), I don't recall ever hearing a particular sound other than the rifles some 100-500yds away. But like I said, I wasn't exactly laying in a trench with bullets flying at my head.

In any case, you're writing a script. Your sound engineer will know how to accurately get the effect. Pretty much any way you write it, we're going to know what you mean. Thewp. Ffft. Shhhp. Basically anything where a whipping/whooshing sound is muted before it can strike a hard target.

EDIT: Just realized you said "machine gun bullets." Depends on what kind of machine gun. I don't know the calibers of WWII weapons, but for instance, you're going to have a different impact between an M249 SAW (5.56), an M240B (7.62), and a .50cal HMG (Ma Deuce). If you're talking about a heavy machine gun, you'd better hope you have a lot more than sandbags protecting you. The gun pits I operated in were for M16A4's (5.56). Nobody goes downrange for the Ma Deuce.

Comment

I used; "The unmistakable KWACK of an AK-47 broke the silence.
                Ollie shoved the throttles forward as his crew opened up with the thunderous roar of the three 50 caliber machine guns and the M-60 machine gun."

I assume there would be a sound effects person that would translate
                that

Comment

Working...
                X