No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Girls

Originally posted by Kwinnky View Post
    I love how you say that like it hasn't been done before.
    Well, the good news is we all still hate each other as much as we always have. We just use less offensive terms like hipster and 1%-ers and blue-staters to hide our biases.

I think the Twitter post that originally got Leslie Arfin in hot water (What really bothered me most about Precious was that there was no representation of ME) was a perfect rebuttal to her critics and a spot-on observation of the problem at hand here. It has nothing to do with racism. It has to do with the narcissism and entitlement of the internet generation.

It’s not enough to passively watch the news or entertainment programming anymore. There has to be a 24 hour a day cycle of interactive opinionating about everything. Here’s WHAT I THINK about the news…… Here’s WHAT I THINK about this show or movie …… MY Twitter, MY Facebook, MY blog, MY comments, ME-ME-ME-ME-ME-ME…… all the time.

The subtext of which is all the same- Why won’t HBO buy MY pilot?..... Why won’t such –and-such movie studio buy MY comedy spec?..... Why are MY opinions and ideas not represented?....... Why are THESE people so lucky?... (oh, I know, because they’re white and their parents are Brian Williams and David Mamet! That must be it!)

It’s okay to feel discouraged and ignored, especially when you’re dealing with an industry that everyone wants to break in to, despite the fact that it’s nearly impossible.

But don’t try to hide your jealousy and lack of talent behind false accusations of racism.

Comment

But does it match Spartacus/Game of Thrones for the amount of time devoted to unnecessary nudity?

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Comment

Originally posted by christopher jon View Post
        But does it match Spartacus/Game of Thrones for the amount of time devoted to unnecessary nudity?

It's like titling a show, Boxing, and never showing any knockouts.
        If you really like it you can have the rights
        It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

Originally posted by kintnerboy View Post
          This piece makes me want to vomit.

As soon as you start qualifying humor, or telling me what I can or can't make fun of, I will start writing stories where New York is a city of 8 million white people.
          I'm afraid. Very afraid.
          If you really like it you can have the rights
          It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

The subtext of which is all the same- Why won't HBO buy MY pilot?..... Why won't such -and-such movie studio buy MY comedy spec?..... Why are MY opinions and ideas not represented?....... Why are THESE people so lucky?... (oh, I know, because they're white and their parents are Brian Williams and David Mamet! That must be it!)
            lolwut? Do you really believe all, or even most of the criticism is coming from people who want to work in the industry?
            what the head makes cloudy the heart makes very clear

Comment

Well, the good news is we all still hate each other as much as we always have. We just use less offensive terms like hipster and 1%-ers and blue-staters to hide our biases.

I think the Twitter post that originally got Leslie Arfin in hot water (What really bothered me most about Precious was that there was no representation of ME) was a perfect rebuttal to her critics and a spot-on observation of the problem at hand here. It has nothing to do with racism. It has to do with the narcissism and entitlement of the internet generation.
              Really? Only a handful of films/TV come out each year that cater to minority audiences. It's kind of like the person who thinks the existence of a channel like BET is an example of 'reverse racism' while being totally oblivious as to how much Hollywood caters overwhelmingly to a White audience. Her tweet might sound clever on the surface, but if you scratch a little, not so much...

I don't think the casting of Girls is a case of evil, mustache-twirling racism. People might say all the right things about race, but every once in a while, their unconscious biases will pop up: I can only relate to people who look like me, or [this group of people] are all like this. The younger generation catches extra crap because they're supposed to be past all that.

It’s not enough to passively watch the news or entertainment programming anymore. There has to be a 24 hour a day cycle of interactive opinionating about everything. Here’s WHAT I THINK about the news…… Here’s WHAT I THINK about this show or movie …… MY Twitter, MY Facebook, MY blog, MY comments, ME-ME-ME-ME-ME-ME…… all the time.

The subtext of which is all the same- Why won’t HBO buy MY pilot?..... Why won’t such –and-such movie studio buy MY comedy spec?..... Why are MY opinions and ideas not represented?....... Why are THESE people so lucky?... (oh, I know, because they’re white and their parents are Brian Williams and David Mamet! That must be it!)

It’s okay to feel discouraged and ignored, especially when you’re dealing with an industry that everyone wants to break in to, despite the fact that it’s nearly impossible.

But don’t try to hide your jealousy and lack of talent behind false accusations of racism.
              Not every critic of Girls is a bitter writer.

“If I don’t like it. I don’t like it. It don’t mean that I’m hatin.” - Common
              Last edited by Furious Anjel; 05-01-2012, 11:57 AM.
              "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by Kwinnky View Post
                lolwut? Do you really believe all, or even most of the criticism is coming from people who want to work in the industry?
                If you’re asking me if I think that Lindey West, who wrote the blog piece linked here about ‘hipster racism’, who writes barely literate, mostly hate-filled ‘reviews’ of movies, and recently moved to LA to be closer to the industry, is secretly an aspiring screenwriter?

Yes.

Oh, and perusing her blog as I just was, I am repulsed by the things she writes under the guise of humor, which are far more offensive than anything on Girls. At one point she repeats an overheard joke that the Tea Party rallies look like “casual Friday at a KKK meeting” but see, that joke is OKAY because it’s attacking terrible white people, not like those mean hipsters and their irony.

The world is full of scumbags.

Comment

Originally posted by Furious Anjel View Post
                  Really? Only a handful of films/TV come out each year that cater to minority audiences.
                  Every once in a while I'll read an article or see a news report along the lines of "Only 10% of films at this years Sundance Film Festival were written or directed by minorities, women, etc".

Which sounds terrible. Like the judges are biased or something.

But then I'll do a little more research and find out that only 8% of the submitted films were made by those same groups, so, to me, it's basically a case of entitled people wanting things handed to them, or get attention by creating controversy instead of content.

For the record, I couldn't tell you how many people of color were in the movie I saw last night, or in the bar afterwards or the subway ride home.

People who pay attention to stuff like that seem racist to me.

Comment

Back on subject: "Girls" got renewed, along with lead-in "Veep". http://www.imdb.com/news/ni27278140/
                    "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post
                      Back on subject: "Girls" got renewed, along with lead-in "Veep". http://www.imdb.com/news/ni27278140/
                      I don't think anybody is surprised, Veep looked like a rare "wide net" hit ten minutes into the premiere. The writing has been outstanding.

Comment

If you're asking me if I think that Lindey West, who wrote the blog piece linked here about 'hipster racism', who writes barely literate, mostly hate-filled 'reviews' of movies, and recently moved to LA to be closer to the industry, is secretly an aspiring screenwriter?

Yes.

Oh, and perusing her blog as I just was, I am repulsed by the things she writes under the guise of humor, which are far more offensive than anything on Girls. At one point she repeats an overheard joke that the Tea Party rallies look like "casual Friday at a KKK meeting- but see, that joke is OKAY because it's attacking terrible white people, not like those mean hipsters and their irony.

The world is full of scumbags.

Don't remind me, kintnerboy. My other dream job was to be a hitman.
                        "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

just saw the third ep. its still really great.

Comment

At one point she repeats an overheard joke that the Tea Party rallies look like “casual Friday at a KKK meeting”
                            Liberal ignorance must be bliss.

Black Tea Party Members You Need To Know

And I guess no, the nudity on Girls doesn't rival Game of Thrones

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Comment

Originally posted by christopher jon View Post
                              Liberal ignorance must be bliss.

Black Tea Party Members You Need To Know

And I guess no, the nudity on Girls doesn't rival Game of Thrones

Would have to agree. Game of Thrones knows how to integrate nudity, Girls stab at it looks like a 60's era home movie.

Comment

this show is brilliant. she's the real deal.

Comment

Working...
                                X