Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another Black List ask Franklin anything

Thought we were probably due for yet another clean (read: not 100 pages long) thread about what the Black List is, how it's meant to function, and how it can be most valuable to you as writers.

So yeah, ask me anything.

I'll be away from my computer for most of the rest of the day and evening speaking at the Atlantic's Race + Justice panel in downtown Los Angeles, but I'll do my best to answer everything when I return tonight.

Fire away.

Re: Yet another Black List ask Franklin anything

Will you consider a private reader option like some of the other sites? There are several coverage sites that if the reader thinks it's a recommend they will offer to show it agents, managers and producers. This is for the segment out there that might be skittish about hosting a script on there, but still like the Blacklist brand and wouldn't mind this other option.

Comment

No plans to do so.

Though there's honestly no reason to be skittish about making your script available in our database, we strongly advise your doing everything you can to take your script as far as you can execution wise before uploading it to the site.

Comment

How closely do paid reader scores and industry scores tend to align with each other? Are they usually distributed similarly across a project?

I'm just curious, as I can see how the industry downloaders could have different reasons/criteria for the ratings they give than the paid readers do (or they could just be more casual about it, since it's not part of their job or anything).

Comment

A new thread for questions is a great idea.

I have four of them:

1) Do you clearly instruct readers to not reveal important twists in their reviews? A twist was identified in the last script I put up and I hid the eval (with a score of 7) so that it wouldn't be spoiled for any downloaders. The practice is frustrating as it compromises the reading experience for pros. It would be easy to tell readers to say things like "the reveal about John on page 65" rather than specify the nature of the reveal itself.

2) Do you provide any clear instruction to readers regarding how they approach polarizing subject matter? For example, I wrote a script involving police brutality that is rather edgy, and got a lot of high scores, particularly on character. Yet there was one outlier reader who gave me a really low score, and had surprisingly negative views about the protagonist. In the back of my mind I wondered if the reader's potential stance on the topic could have colored his/her opinion, but I have no actual way of proving this based on the comments. It would be nice to know that writers are not punished for a script with a theme/message that contradicts with the belief of the reviewer (for example, on hot-button topics such as abortion and gun control).

3) Hypothetically, if a movie were announced that had the same plot and types of characters as something a writer uploaded to the BL, and the writer was certain it was outright theft, what kind of support could BL provide? If a lawsuit was filed, for example (not that I or anyone I know of is considering that), could BL indicate that the accused party indeed downloaded the writer's script from the site?

4) Do you have pros in your membership you are aware of who have a strong interest in scripts with minority protagonists (so for example, employees of companies like Macro)? Not asking you to identify them, but just give a general sense. Also, can you provide stats on how the # of downloads for scripts with African-American or other minority protagonists compare to scripts where the lead's ethnicity is not specified?

On a slightly related note, you are around Hollywood folks all the time. Do managers/agents and producers have as little of an interest in scripts with AA protags as I perceive? Or is there any growing effort to consider this material given all the outcry about lack of diversity in film? I have to say, I was a bit disheartened when my script with an AA protag that got two overall 8s, two overall 7s, 14 downloads (note -- I did not specify the protag was AA with a tag), and a Quarterfinal standing in PAGE generated no contacts. Of course, there are multiple possible reasons for this outcome, but a part of me can't help but wonder if I wasted my time making the protag a minority in the first place.

I thought I would throw you the easiest questions I could think of : )
          "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Question for Franklin.

First the problem: I have used the Black List both as an unrepresented writer and a represented writer. Since becoming a represented writer I have noticed that the downloads are fewer. Seemingly by a lot. I understood this would happen, but not necessarily to the degree it has, or feels like it has.

The thing is, I only currently have one piece of three-- a manager. I fear that even though I am in the top list with 2 features and a pilot (all three were top placements for the month they were listed, too) they fall under the heading of "represented," which isn't entirely accurate.

I don't have an agent. I don't have a lawyer. The latter probably isn't as important and can be a late player to the team. But the former is vital in getting to work in features (OWA) and TV.

Recently Scriptnotes had an agent on, John August's agent I believe, and he made a statement to the effect that if a script is on the Black List and is any good [script] it already has representation or has been seen by everyone. I can attest that this is not true and is an incorrect assumption about the Black List, at least in my experience. He also said that he only has ever signed a client off a referral.

Perhaps that is only one agent's POV, but I would think that the Black List would want to capitalize on that misperception and gain more access to the agent community. Of course this is just an assumption, too, and therefore might be incorrect.

My problem is that I would like agents to access my work and fear that when they see my script fall under "represented" they just pass on by. Since I am paying to host my scripts on the website, I feel it's important that it work for ME as much as it works for industry pros.

It would be interesting to know how many managers, agents, lawyers, producers etc, are actually members of the Black List. Are there far fewer agents who are members? It would be interesting to note. You don't necessarily have to put numbers to it, but perhaps percentages?

Possible solution:
            At the top of each scripts main page on the top list is a gold banner in the corner. I'm not sure what it means, but am suspecting that when it's gold as opposed to faded gray, that it might mean that writer has two reviews of 8 or higher by a Black List reviewer?

Yes, I know that an Agent can fliter down into the list to find all writers that don't have an agent, but I honestly don't think they 1) have the time, and 2) the inclination. Especially if they see that the writer is represented.

Is there a way that you can have additional ribbons in the corner or a series of three small "checkoff" boxes that represent a writer has 1) an agent, 2) a manager, 3) a lawyer?

I would like to have an agent that loves my work the way my manager does, but it's a personal decision and he has my latest spec into a few top agencies, I would like to utilize the Black List better, after all I am paying for access to industry professionals.

IMO, this is a very small fix that can go a long way to help writers as well as potentially drive more agent traffic to your website.

How's about it?
            "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post

Recently Scriptnotes had an agent on, John August's agent I believe, and he made a statement to the effect that if a script is on the Black List and is any good [script] it already has representation or has been seen by everyone.
              I believe this was a reference to the annual Black List, and not the paid version. Almost all of those scripts are repped.
              "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
                I believe this was a reference to the annual Black List, and not the paid version. Almost all of those scripts are repped.
                I checked the transcript, and I looks like you're right, I misunderstood. Which makes it even worse, because he apparently doesn't even consider Black List as a resource for finding new talent.

I wonder how many agents are on the Black List as a percentage to the total membership base?
                "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                  I checked the transcript, and I looks like you're right, I misunderstood. Which makes it even worse, because he apparently doesn't even consider Black List as a resource for finding new talent.

I wonder how many agents are on the Black List as a percentage to the total membership base?

Not to derail this thread but a quick question - does your current manager have access/ relationships with agents and if so, are they sending your work to them?

Also, was your current manager attained through the Blacklist?

--
                  Last edited by madworld; 09-19-2016, 11:37 AM. Reason: ETA

Comment

Originally posted by madworld View Post
                    Not to derail this thread but a quick question - does your current manager have access/ relationships with agents and if so, are they sending your work to them?

--
                    Agents get writers through references, period. Either through managers they work with or producers they trust or directors.... or from seeing your name in the trades enough that they're intrigued. Managers are a different story. Those you can query or interest through significant contest wins.

Comment

Agree with Madworld. Your manager's job is to get you an agent.

Comment

Originally posted by madworld View Post

--
                        Yes, he is sending my work to the top agents in the top five agencies, it's been quiet so far, which I understand because the only two projects I have are really high budgets, and original IPs.

I have seen experienced writers on the boards here saying that you have to take control over your own career and not rely, wait on your reps. I thought that included agents, I didn't realize they only work through referrals and I had thought that the Black List was a place that was designed to connect writers with all kinds of representation. I guess I was wrong.

Maybe I got ahead of myself, a little too zealous.

I didn't actually attain my manager through the Black List. My spec was already up and had been on top lists.

I sent out a large grouping of query letters and received over 20 something read requests from all levels of managers from Energy, COC, KP and more.

I used my Black List score in the subject line. I had received 8s and 9s, and it was a very good review. My manager is a member of the Black List so he used the link I provided in the query letter and then requested my spec.

My manager and another manager read the spec in like two days and my manager called me first and I connected really well with him, so I signed with him. The next day, I kid you not, another manager called and wanted to represent me. I explained I had already signed with (and gave him my manager's name).

This guy was a really great guy as well. He actually called my manager after speaking with me, looked him up on his own, because I didn't give him his number, just to tell my manager that he was disappointed I had already signed with him. It was a crazy thing, you know?

Let me tell you, it was weird emailing those other managers and telling them that they couldn't consider my submission. I didn't want them to waste their time, you know? They were all great and wished me good fortune, which is really kind of cool-- I have a lot of respect for them.

So, though it wasn't the Black List directly that got my manager interested in my spec, it certainly didn't hurt, may have even helped. He could have downloaded it right from the Black List site and never even request it from me. Instead, he emailed me and asked me to send him my spec, and I think it was either the next day he called the one plus. I liked that about him. That he requested it directly from me.

Anyway, now that I know, I know. I'll let him handle it. I just thought it couldn't hurt to have two of us working on my behalf you know?

Thanks to everyone for the continued support, madworld, JeffLowell, and Edfury-- I really appreciate it.

Comment

Another question! How do you choose the featured scripts? Is it just based on ratings or is there something else going on? Who designs the posters?

And how do scripts get chosen for the Blacklist Table Reads? (And when is the podcast coming back? I miss those ear movies.)

Comment

Yo, Franklin -- where'd you go?!
                            "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
                              Yo, Franklin -- where'd you go?!
                              Lol!

Comment

Working...
                              X