Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The next TERMINATOR flick

Is anyone else stoked about this? I think it looks pretty badass. And honestly, a very welcome break from the Marvel universe.

Re: The next TERMINATOR flick

I stopped watching after the third one, when it became apparent to me that the story engine of the first two Terminators -- Skynet sends a cyborg back in time to erase John Connor by killing his mother before he can be born -- leads to a narrative dead end the more they try to expand on it.

The problem (imo) is that once we know that Sarah Connor beats the Terminator(s) and ensures that future John Connor exists, there's not a lot of room to take the franchise, other than "here's another different Terminator trying to do the same thing as the last three that failed to kill Sarah." Young John might not be able to prevent Judgment Day from happening but it's equally pre-ordained that Skynet will never be able to kill Sarah Connor to keep him from being born.

Bold prediction: this new one will fail too and John Connor will still defeat Skynet in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
      I stopped watching after the third one, when it became apparent to me that the story engine of the first two Terminators -- Skynet sends a cyborg back in time to erase John Connor by killing his mother before he can be born -- leads to a narrative dead end the more they try to expand on it.

The problem (imo) is that once we know that Sarah Connor beats the Terminator(s) and ensures that future John Connor exists, there's not a lot of room to take the franchise, other than "here's another different Terminator trying to do the same thing as the last three that failed to kill Sarah." Young John might not be able to prevent Judgment Day from happening but it's equally pre-ordained that Skynet will never be able to kill Sarah Connor to keep him from being born.

Bold prediction: this new one will fail too and John Connor will still defeat Skynet in the future.

Sarah Connor was only the target in the first one. Afterwards its was John Connor himself. And this time it's a young Mexican girl, apparently. But yeah, it's the same concept pretty much every time. Anyway, Linda and Arnold are back, so that alone will be exciting to a lot of people.

Comment

it looks truly horrible. A recycling of catch phrases and characters.

look at the original T movie. There was Sarah Connor and there was Kyle Reece as principle speaking roles, Arnie "acted" but scarcely spoke. There were a few incidental characters - cops and so on and that was it.

Lean mean and stripped down; not huge bloated mess like this one looks to be.
        I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post
          Sarah Connor was only the target in the first one. Afterwards its was John Connor himself. And this time it's a young Mexican girl, apparently. But yeah, it's the same concept pretty much every time. Anyway, Linda and Arnold are back, so that alone will be exciting to a lot of people.
          I don't care what anyone says, I'm gonna love it!
          "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Schwarzenegger is supposed to play an aging version of the old T-800 that is now living amongst humans. Which defies logic, because exactly how does a Terminator age? Why wouldn't it just look the same? Makes no sense.

Anyway, you know when Linda Hamilton is delivering the "I'll be back" line that this series needs to be put to bed.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post

Here's a case where a deconstructive approach might be helpful: Skynet finally sends itself back, forget the Terminator, to infect the world's online systems. Upon arriving, it takes over. But in the future, in a solitary warp or weft of alternate reality, renegade humans highjack a piece of the grid, and send back a Terminator to END SKYNET. Who at this point has the backing of most human institutions and --

Well, you're a writer. You write the damn thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_land View Post
                A recycling of catch phrases and characters.
                This is what it looks like to me too. But, I'll let it do the talking for itself. Trailers don't ever tell the full story. That said, probably wait for a video / streaming release on this. The trailer wasn't enticement enough for cinema.

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo;
                  Which defies logic, because exactly how does a Terminator age? Why wouldn't it just look the same? Makes no sense.
                  But wasn't the whole thing with original that it was a machine cloaked in living tissue (which was why he could get through the time portal but couldn't bring weapons*(which royally screwed up the premise for T2)) ... and thus could and should age to a baggy man suit on a titanium endoskeleton after 30 years?

*though thinking about it, surely skynet could have cloned some living human tissue around a box of really cool weapons rather than sending Arnie to the gun shop... And that folks is why I wanted to be a writer
                  I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_land View Post
                    *though thinking about it, surely skynet could have cloned some living human tissue around a box of really cool weapons rather than sending Arnie to the gun shop... And that folks is why I wanted to be a writer
                    They did that in the comics,* human prisoners with surgical scars across their distended bellies were sent back with terminator kill teams, the terminators promptly ripped them open to take the weapons that had been sewn inside them.

* I think that was SECONDARY OBJECTIVES from Dark Horse comics, art by the amazeballs Paul Gulacy.

Comment

Working...
                    X