Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Animated TV Scripts

Does anyone know if managers, producers, etc are actively looking for animated tv scripts. Is this a good writing sample to use ? I see on virtualpitchfest.com there's a number of people looking for animation but I wasn't sure if they were looking for features or tv. Thanks

Re: Animated TV Scripts

I'm in the same boat, CrissCross, as all of my TV samples, pilots and specs, are of the animated variety - and non-primetime, to boot.

Haven't gotten much luck, even after specifically targeting agents and managers who have tv animation writers on their roster [at least, their IMDBpro roster]. Of course, that's probably the best way for you to go - look for agents/managers who have at least one person who's worked on an animated series before.

The few script requests I did get were for an original animated pilot of mine, and it probably helped that I mentioned that I had a short series pitch bible with it.

Of course, I don't yet have any credits to my name - but if you do, you'd probably have better luck. In any case, an original pilot will do you much better.
    https://devonmw.wordpress.com/

Comment

In interviews that I've heard/read, most execs in animation have said they aren't interested in reading animation specs. And if you look at the people writing animated stuff, they usually have backgrounds in either live action storytelling or comic books.

That said, these things change all the time and there's no reason a truly brilliant animation spec couldn't open doors for you. I'd recommend you try a non-animated spec, though, just so you're covered.

Comment

I'm not a big animated guy/writer. I just had an idea for a tv pilot and a writer friend heard the idea and couldn't stop laughing. I'm convinced that any of the Simpsons writers could write a great live action script so I was just wondering if animated writers are given the same amount of respect as others. Thanks

Comment

IMHO-

ANIMATED MOVIES. The advice used to be that animated feature spec scripts were a waste of time because there're so few feature animation studios, and all of them develop their stories in-house. But times have changed. There're now LOTS of studios that do feature animation, especially internationally. So YES, a good animated feature spec script can be a good sample for animation and live action.

ANIMATED PRIMETIME SITCOM. Writers on sitcoms move back and forth between animation and live-action. So YES, a good animated primetime sitcom spec - like a Bojack Horseman or Rick & Morty - can be a good sample in animation and live action. Ditto with animated sitcom pilot.

However, non-primetime animation gets tricky-

NON-PRIMETIME COMEDY. Most of these shows are storyboard driven, so they don't even have writers. You could write a Teen Titans Go! or Phineas & Ferb spec script to prove you could write family-friendly comedy. But it'd only might be useful to someone specifically hiring writers for that type of show, and there are very few of those.

NON-PRIMETIME ACTION. You could write a Ninja Turtles or Guardians of the Galaxy spec script to prove you could write family-friendly action and humor. But again, it'd only be useful to someone specifically hiring for that type of show.

Non-primetime tv is such a small subset of tv writing, so I'm hesitant to recommend anyone write these as samples. A great primetime sample script will be read by anybody, including non-primetime showrunners and agents and fellowships/workshops/diversity programs. But a great Legend of Korra isn't gonna get read outside of just non-primetime animation and maybe the Nickelodeon Fellowship.

Not to say that a non-primetime animated sample can never be useful. I do know a comic book writer who wrote a Transformers Prime spec script, and recently got hired to write tv off of it.

But a strong primetime drama or sitcom spec script has the potential to open more doors. Just my two cents.

Comment

I wasn't talking about specs. I was referring to original tv ideas/scripts.

Comment

Then if I understand your question - if you have a great Simpsons/Archer/Adult Swim-like animated pilot, it'd be a perfectly fine writing sample.

Comment

This topic seems to have run its course, so I'll add my own query about opportunities in animation, and resource material for them.

My latest feature, a thrifty 81-pager, is animated or live-action/CGI but is not for TV, since there's really no way to extend the story. But as to the OP's question, I've not even found many animation feature scripts to compare my 81-pager too. I figure it's a bit short, but then there are some fun MONTAGES that could easily extend it to 85-90 minutes. We are talking about a target audience of families with kids here, and it's hard to expect them to sit still more than 80 minutes even if it is an epic story.

I have one other animated feature that, due to the continuous nature of the story, I've also split into 1/2 hr and 1 hr pilots + episodes. I do market that version to those looking for TV animation.

Where? Well, along with the mention of VPF, once in a while InkTip has animation (both TV and feature) leads in their newsletters. FYI, here are the ones for the past year (I keep all the newsletters so simply did a search for "animat"):

Seeking Family-Friendly Animation Scripts (Preferred Lead 5209)
                --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                We are looking for completed, feature-length, adventure/comedy animation scripts that are family-friendly and accessible to an international audience.
                Budget is yet to be determined. WGA and non-WGA writers may submit

Seeking Family-Friendly Animation Scripts (Preferred Lead 5117)
                --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                We are looking for completed, feature-length animation scripts, i.e. scripts in the vein of a classic Disney movie. Material needs to be family-friendly.
                Budget is yet to be determined. WGA and non-WGA writers may submit.

Seeking Half-Hour Family-Friendly Animation Pilots and Bibles (Preferred Lead 4680)
                We are looking for completed, half-hour, family-friendly animation pilots and bibles.
                Budget has yet to be determined. WGA and non-WGA writers may submit.

Seeking Animated Animal Scripts (Preferred Lead 4908)
                We are looking for completed, feature-length, animated scripts in the vein of "Madagascar." As such, we are interested in family-friendly material with an all-animal cast.

Seeking Animation Scripts About Noah's Arc (Preferred Lead 4813)
                We are looking for completed, feature-length, animation scripts about Noah's Ark. Material should be appropriate for all ages, with an uplifting faith-friendly message.

Seeking Writers for Children's Fantasy Project (Preferred Lead 4778)
                We are looking for writers to bring onboard an existing project about children who escape into an animated/fantasy world. The majority of the film will take place in this "mixed reality" setting--with live actors set against backgrounds rendered using video game engines. As such, we are interested in similar scripts to consider as writing samples. Limited cast size preferred, with leading roles for children approximately 12 years old. Please note, we are not looking for scripts to option, only samples to consider from writers available for hire.

I seriously think it's worth signing up for the free newsletter; even the non-free items often come up some weeks later, for you to submit to.

Comment

Working...
                X