Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Central Dramatic Argument

Is the Central Dramatic Argument different from a thematic statement (such as "Greed contains the seeds of its own destruction.")?

Thanks.

Re: Central Dramatic Argument

Originally posted by iggy View Post
    Is the Central Dramatic Argument different from a thematic statement (such as "Greed contains the seeds of its own destruction.")?
    That depends on what your definition of Central Dramatic Argument is.

I think we will need more information to understand where you are coming from.

Comment

They are not different, and we don't need more information. The central dramatic argument of the script is also referred to as the "theme." Aristotle used the word "unity" to describe this concept as well.

I know this, because I'm pretty much the only person in the world who says "central dramatic argument" for theme, so it's basically a phrase I invented, and what I meant when I invented it is THEME.

The reason I started saying "central dramatic argument" is precisely to help guide people toward the essence of good dramatic theme (which is to say, an assertion that can be argued) and away from the essence of bad dramatic theme (a neutral concept like "brotherhood" or "mortality").
      Last edited by Craig Mazin; 02-04-2012, 02:24 PM.

Comment

It seems you are very influential:

http://books.google.es/books?id=atQi...ent%22&f=false

http://books.google.es/books?id=_OZ1...ent%22&f=false

Comment

I didn't say I was the first person to chain those three words together.

I said that I am PRETTY MUCH the only person-- as far as I know-- other than people that have read the dumb crap I write about screenwriting-- that uses that phrase to describe the theme of a movie.

I said "pretty much" on the assumption that there might be an obscure book on theater from 1955, and one of fourteen billion screenwriting books as well, that might happen to also use that phrase once.

Good use of the internet!

Comment

I was just looking if someone, somewhere, had defined "central dramatic argument" differently than "theme", before I read your reply, and found both books. Then read your reply and thought it was funny that those books used the same expression too. Maybe I should have added an emoticone:

Comment

ETA: no delete button?
              Last edited by BattleDolphinZero; 01-21-2012, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Wouldn't it be great if people focussed on the tenet of each other's arguments and debated that rather than the minutiae and pedantry?
                sigpic

Website
                Tweets
                Book

Comment

Last edited by Craig Mazin; 02-04-2012, 02:23 PM.

Comment

You got it all wrong, but anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Mazin View Post
                      Ummm... fill in whatever emoticon seems most appropriate.

(It wouldn't let me do them all.)
                      sigpic

Website
                      Tweets
                      Book

Comment

I'm deleting that post because it's horrible to let good convos get trolled into oblivion. DELETE CRAIG! AND IGNORE!

ETA:

I do think that some of the conversations are awesome. And when you get a bunch of working writers, up and coming writers, and hungry writers engaged in earnest, the end result is better than a lot of what you'd get at a top film school. The dialogue swings from personal methodology to broad creative philosophy to obscure topics in one thread.

Comment

For your consideration:

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Comment

Originally posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post
                            I do think that some of the conversations are awesome. And when you get a bunch of working writers, up and coming writers, and hungry writers engaged in earnest, the end result is better than a lot of what you'd get at a top film school. The dialogue swings from personal methodology to broad creative philosophy to obscure topics in one thread.
                            I agree. A lot of the time, that's exactly how things work here.
                            sigpic

Website
                            Tweets
                            Book

Comment

(I wonder where the O.P. heard the phrase)

A related phrase:
                              Thematic change. To explain the change the protag (or another character) goes through from being one type of person at the start of the story to a different type of person at the end.
                              "I am the story itself; its source, its voice, its music."
                              - Clive Barker, Galilee

Comment

Working...
                              X