Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Wars Ep 8

Thank you Rian Johnson. Thank you. Awesome.

Re: Star Wars Ep 8

How many of you are seeing this opening night? If not when are you planning to see it?

If you saw it, what did you think (please don't give away spoilers). Just general impressions of liking it or hating it.

Comment

Originally posted by EdFury View Post
      Thank you Rian Johnson. Thank you. Awesome.
      Did you like his take better than jj's?

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
        Did you like his take better than jj's?
        Not even in the same dimension. Light years better. A lot more thought.

Comment

Originally posted by EdFury View Post
          Not even in the same dimension. Light years better. A lot more thought.
          Yes, the force is strong with this one.

Comment

Need to see it again to process it. I'm a huge Star Wars fan, so it's hard for me to separate the nostalgia from the experience itself.

On the first pass, thought it was okay, but not great. Without going into specific detail, the plot felt too long/overstuffed and I'm not sure they quite nailed the ideal Star Wars tone. It was maybe a bit too slapstick and over the top in places. I don't see the ESB comparisons. That had some humor to be sure, but felt more grounded overall.

I enjoyed TFA more than this one on first viewing.

Comment

Invetiably, there will be a point in the movie where I will have to run to the bathroom. Large diet coke, with a lot of food.... What scene should I run to the bathroom on? The scene where as soon as I see it, I run?

Comment

Didn't get much out of it for most of the reasons raised by DaltWisney, particularly the tone. A couple of great (nostalgia heavy) moments aside, there's little to separate this from a Guardians of the Galaxy movie.

Comment

I saw it and was really disappointed, the more I think about it, the more I disliked it.

*spoilers below*

I agree with Mark Hamill in that every character decision they made regarding Luke in writing this is fundamentally wrong. Rian Johnson clearly does not understand who Luke was.

Snoke is the worst antagonist in Star Wars history, they built the guy up for 1.5 films for nothing.

Rey being a nobody is another underwhelming resolution.

Critics are lapping this film up but audience reacton is totally split.

I really think this sequel trilogy was damanged beyond repair by TFA, which failed to set up a believable world or progression of characters from the OT. It is clear that no one has any idea where to take this, certainly JJ never did and I suspect Rian just figured he best kill off Snoke quick because there's no explanation for any of this.

I really generally hate that Disney have nullified the OT with these lacklustre sequels.

Still, it has a Star Wars label on it and is competently put together so it will do well, but in story terms this series is in a death spiral.

Comment

To it's credit though, it's better than TFA which I found *abysmal*, but then JJ is returning for the next film so there is no hope here.

Really makes you appreciate how much better George was at structuring a trilogy. I don't even like the prequels much but they are infinitely better in that sense than these pointless sequels.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Jack Sparrow View Post
                      To it's credit though, it's better than TFA which I found *abysmal*, but then JJ is returning for the next film so there is no hope here.

Really makes you appreciate how much better George was at structuring a trilogy. I don't even like the prequels much but they are infinitely better in that sense than these pointless sequels.
                      JJ will play it safe. At least, George Lucas makes bold choices. I think if George Lucas had made the prequels closer in time to the originals, he'd probably have made better films. Long layoffs usually do not help great filmmakers on their franchise--Spielberg with the Indiana Jones Crystal Skull, Wall Street 2, Godfather 3....

Comment

Mark Hamill is not a fan of ep 8!

Hamill discussed the clash in an interview with Vanity Fair earlier this year saying, “I at one point had to say to Rian, ‘I pretty much fundamentally disagree with every choice you’ve made for this character.'” Talking to Yahoo Movies, Johnson applauded Hamill’s honesty while conceding the confrontation was actually pretty scary. “Mark is very, very open [laughs], and it was terrifying,” Johnson says in our exclusive interview.
                        Hamill was also critical of ep 7. He said he read the screenplay and kept thinking "when's Luke going to appear?" On the positive side, the new trilogy has given Hamill a new lease of movie fame so he should be thankful for that.

It's interesting to note Disney did make an effort to give the new trilogy a decent backstory:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Wars-A.../dp/1780893647

Okay, some of the initial reviews of Aftermath were very negative but Disney/Lucasfilm did flesh out the backstory prior to ep 7 but they didn't seem concerned about explaining it in the opening crawl of ep 7. It's the main reason I dislike ep 7. No explanation how the First Order rose to power. Lazy screenwriting.

I've yet to see ep 8 but I thought much (or all?) of the First Order was defeated at the end of ep 7 but it looks like they're back in control at the start of ep 8. This is one saga with no end! We could have endless episodes with the rebels/resistance/whatever vs the Empire/First Order/Nu-Empire/Snoke Jnr!
                        Last edited by moviefan; 12-16-2017, 04:10 AM.

Comment

Maybe, he should have listened to Hamill.....or George Lucas. Certainly, JJ Abrams should have.

Comment

JJ did his one trick 'mystery box' gimmick in Episode 7 and left Rian to figure out what was in the box in Episode 8.

Rian clearly has no idea what's in the box, so rather than explain anything he knocked off Snoke and made Rey a nobody.

I mean can you believe Rian had a blank slate? There was no plan here and it shows, it shows so badly.

JJ can't come up with anything original, just look at his filmography. This 'trilogy' is doomed.

Comment

The problem with loving anything too much (as is the case with Star Wars fans circa 77 - 83) is any drastic change is too hard to bear. Fans couldn't accept the changes made in The Phantom Menace and we're seeing a similar reaction with The Last Jedi.

Why should Star Wars remain the same? Change doesn't mean 'better' but I get the feeling a lot of older Star Wars fans want the same Luke in The Last Jedi, the same sort of story approach in TLJ. I think it's time to accept the harsh reality. It's 40 years since Star Wars: A New Hope (!) and 40 year is approximately half of a person's life time. It's a major length of time.

It's time for older Star Wars fans to accept time has moved on and new Star Wars is never going to be like the original trilogy. I watched ANH with a video cassette recorder, people will watch TLJ via streaming or DVD/Bluray. Times have moved on, Star Wars fans!

Comment

Working...
                              X