No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fade In Pro -- tips, feedback, requested features

Originally posted by Troy View Post
    Hello. I have Courier, Courier New, Courier Screenplay and Courier Std on my computer. Obviously, it's a minor point, as it's easy to use the default Courier Screenplay too. Is it one of those things that it really doesn't matter? Just over thinking this I guess.
    Courier Std? Where did you get it from? That's a very nice and readable Courier; it's the one Movie Magic puts in the PDFs.

I think Courier Screenplay is very nice too, but I found some display issues with it in Fade In (I don't remember exactly what they were, though, but nothing too important, maybe just that bold italics didn't look well or something).

If you want to try Courier 10BT, but can't find it, PM me an e-mail address and I'll send it to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post
      Courier Std? Where did you get it from? That's a very nice and readable Courier; it's the one Movie Magic puts in the PDFs.

I think Courier Screenplay is very nice too, but I found some display issues with it in Fade In (I don't remember exactly what they were, though, but nothing too important, maybe just that bold italics didn't look well or something).

If you want to try Courier 10BT, but can't find it, PM me an e-mail address and I'll send it to you.
      Thanks for the offer, but I might as well just go with the default font. I'm not that picky. I have a fonts folder on my computer with some various fonts, Courier Std is one of them. Over the years, I've downloaded and tested many fonts, mainly from playing with graphic programs. However, I don't remember installing them last time I formatted my drive. Either it came with the other software I own: Movie Draft or Scrivener, then I must have installed it from that folder.

Back to templates, when starting a new project, which template do you use, or do you change depending on the project. In the discussion previous, there just seemed to be a lot of comparing of the templates, but no indication of what people use or why bother changing.

Comment

I use the one I described in the OP. Why bother? I just like it better. The default template is okay, although I'd disable scene and character continue and enable break on sentences. The reasons for this are:
        -scene continue is only necessary in production drafts and it takes space;
        -character continue -- there's nothing wrong with it, but I find it adds unnecessary clutter to the page;
        -break on sentences is the standard way to break dialogue across pages.

Comment

Fade In Pro rocks, especially in the early stages when I like to use something else.

With the fountain syntax, I can work in a text editor (I like OmmWriter on Windows) and just paste into Fade In Pro.

How?

Look here: http://fountain.io/_img/fountain-quickreference.jpg

Type in a text editor. When you're done, copy.

In Fade In Pro, right click > Fountain > Paste as Fountain.

It's properly formatted. Pretty cool.

Comment

FADE IN user here. This is some good stuff. I've have the software for over a year but haven't been able to dig in and mess with it yet. I've been working on too many older FD 7 files that don't translate. Will be referring back to this later.

Comment

Despite making a thread on it a while ago, I just bought it today (still at $50). The download page includes bundles of templates, including a Final Draft screenplay template.
              what the head makes cloudy the heart makes very clear

Comment

Is there a checkbox or option to set Fade in so that hitting enter twice creates a new scene? I cant find it on the demo at all and to me its such a fluid way of writing non stop rather than gnarling your fingers to hit CTRL+1 or heaven forbid reaching for the mouse.

Celtx behaves like this and even final draft brings up a drop down list on double enter (still a time waster though) so seems like a no brainer to add it, even if its just as an option.

Actually Im bemused as to why hitting enter twice WOULDN'T do this by default. As it is it just gives you an extra action line or double blank space...why would you want that?

Comment

The next update will have (probably) Control/Command+Enter to do this.

The reason it doesn't automatically turn a double-Enter into a Scene Heading is because some people - well, like me - space things out a bit if they're just fragments to be filled in around later. The fact that Final Draft would always pop up and element select menu whenever I tried to manually double-space was on the list of things that drove me crazy about it.

Comment

Thanks, I guess that would work although I would have thought it would be the opposite - as in CTRL+Enter keeps adding blank lines for those who need to put in fill space. More often than not though I still wager going from scene to scene is the more common and frequently used writing style so it would just make sense to include the most efficient method of doing that - which is double Enter?

Also while I have your ear another thing that's really bugging me are the index cards. There seems to be no way to add new cards at the end (its greyed out) seems you can only right click to add a card with another card selected and it puts it before. Can you make it that double clicking anywhere in the space around the cards adds a new card relative(roughly) to where you double clicked? Also would it be hard to make it so you can just write directly onto the cards instead of right clicking, choosing add synopsis and typing it into the pop up box? Seems counter productive / intuitive to me the way it is.

Sorry to be picky, its just I am becoming very fond of FADE IN despite having FD8, MM6, Celtx etc. Its got a tonne of potential :-)

Comment

Re: the Navigator,

Is there a way to show some of action lines along with scene headings?

Comment

Not currently, but obviously that's a good idea - I added it this morning after reading this, and it'll be in the next update.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by Fade In Pro View Post
                          Not currently, but obviously that's a good idea - I added it this morning after reading this, and it'll be in the next update.

Thanks for the suggestion.
                          Thanks for the reply.

Just a very minor issue. I love how clean and fast program runs!

Comment

I want to throw in some support for Fade In Pro (the DD member) here. I always like to have some "breathing room" on the page. As someone who has fiddled with programming for about twenty years, I would say to use a keystroke combination like Ctrl+Enter for a new scene. Of course, that is the traditional combination for a page break. Fortunately, other combinations are available.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Is Fade In Pro fully Unicode compliant?

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post

Document>Page Layout
                                - Top: 1.00"
                                - Bottom: 0.80"
                                - Left: 1.50"
                                - Right: 1.00"
                                Originally posted by Centos View Post
                                Well ... the Final Draft Cole and Haag template might use 4" for dialogue, but (for what it's worth) the Cole/Haag book (The Complete Guide to Standard Script Formats) specified 3.1". Actually they did it this way, set tab to 29 and "cut off" at 60 (which, I assume, means somewhere near 60) -- so I guessed somewhere around 3.3".

This web page ...

http://www.storyinsight.com/professi...ss/layout.html

... confirms this, except they say use a 2.9" left margin and a 2.5" right margin (8.5 - 2.5 = 6).

Not a huge deal, just (to me) 4" seems too long. But I can now see where changes could be easily made to make scripts slightly shorter longer if needed.

EDIT: Looking closer at Fade In, it appears the default dialogue length is 3.7" -- so it must be more of the perception of length that I get from the Courier font. It's amazing, however, how many times that .2" difference removes a line in the samples I've put in Fade In and Trelby.

Now I'm going to just shut up.
                                I've always loved this one:

http://artfulwriter.com/archives/200...at-to-end.html

Comment

Working...
                                X