Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's your outlining process?

1. I come up with the idea/logline/premise.
    2. I come up with the beginning and end of the script.
    3. I write an outline/treatment of the script.

Yeah, I make it sound easy, but it's not.
    "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

After you've outlined and written that first draft, how often does the page count exceed the 90 -120 page standard?

Is it common to have a bloated 140-160 page script at first?
      http://www.mortalremainsthemovie.com/

Comment

I start with an idea that I really like and believe in. I spend far too much time thinking about it day in and day out, writing down scene and character ideas along the way. Some scene ideas come from character, some character ideas come from scenes. I also jot down dialogue ideas. When I have a crap-ton of ideas, I begin to piece together the main story throughline, weeding out the ideas that don't seem to work. Once I have a general idea of the whole story, I begin writing.

This method helps me stay on course with a solid structural foundation while still allowing for spontaneous ideas to sprout at any given point in the story.

In other words, I make stuff up as I go.

Comment

Originally posted by Mortal_Remains View Post
          After you've outlined and written that first draft, how often does the page count exceed the 90 -120 page standard?

Is it common to have a bloated 140-160 page script at first?
          I end up around 130-150 pages almost every time, which eventually gets cut down to around 110-115 pages before I send it out. But with my writing style, I'd rather have that than 100 pages or less, because I tend to overwrite when I start.

Other writers have the opposite problem, so would love to hear what they do.

Comment

Great thread. I like hearing how others work.

I start with a major beats document (Inciting, Act 1, B Story, etc.). Then I brainstorm for a bit and then move to index cards. It's easier for me to visually see the scenes. I write down every scene that could possibly go in the film, then shuffle stuff around as to what makes sense.

I have never done a treatment -- though my writer friends think I'm crazy.

Comment

Yeah, I agree, jolly good fun to hear how others approach the fever-swamp of writing.

I create a word doc and just start thinking out loud, writing writing writing, "if they do this then that happens, but by doing that it undercuts this" -- it's so much about all your decisions having these maddening pros and cons, isn't it?

So I flip and flop like a fish out of water for a very long time, until I finally start committing to decisions -- very important for me. It's when I commit that the writing actually begins. And having said that I am a huge fan of not committing because when you don't commit you explore your options, and exploring is a blast.

I am the king of the beat sheet. I make at least one, almost always more, per writing session. For me it's like the painter who has to step back 20 feet to look at their canvass and grasp the scope of their world, how it looks and feels and how it plays. I've got to get a bird's eye perspective before I can go on -- constant telescoping between the macro and the micro.

I finished a script in April that was draft number five. For me, the biggest drafts were two and three. That's usually the case -- those middle drafts are the bloodiest, in terms of fighting with your imagination. Last August, on draft number 3, I lay curled up in a ball on my bed as I brainstormed a new intro. It took me 2 whole days of major brain work to finally understand it -- had you seen me on video you would have said "How sad, this guy's in a persistent vegetative state and he doesn't even know it." But f*ck, those were two of the most intense brain days of my life. The new intro stayed, but was moved to page 12 as a flashback. So crazy and organic, the whole thing. My process is all about exploring dead ends and blind alleys and I'm now finally at peace with that.

Comment

My outlining process:

LOGLINE-- I get an idea and start fooling around, trying out various wording. If the idea looks interesting in logline form, I know I can keep going. I have a gazillion ideas that never get past this stage.

NOTES-- Once I know I want to go forward with a concept, I create a project binder for it. I use a cheap plastic 3-ring binder you can get anywhere. I also create a folder in MS Word. I create a lot of notes on the plot char's, theme, etc. Lots of brainstorming here. I also use pre-written worksheets with questions that prompt me. I do this b/c I ask myself the same Qs with every script, so having pre-written worksheets saves time. And I don't have to stress about whether or not I've missed something.

SEQUENCES & STORY BEATS-- I use the sequence method. All my scripts are divided into at least 12 seqs, & I use this as my guide for plotting. If it's a mainstream HW movie, I also make sure I hit the major HW story beats. (Similar to, but not exactly like, Snyder's beats.) I usually rewrite the sequences & story beats several times until I'm satisfied.

OUTLINE WITH SCENES-- Once I have the sequences down, I add scene slugs to the document, and then later, individual "scene beats" (events/actions) . Because I use seq's as my guide, and each scene is tied to a particular sequence, I don't usually move scenes around much. And b/c of this method, I don't feel the need to use scene cards.

After this process, what I'm left with is a finished outline that's pretty detailed.

Action & dialogue is added to the outline & this becomes my rough draft of the script.

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

I usually outline very detailed, beginning to end.

Then I strip it down to one or two sentance beats. Often, I'll pitch that outloud to someone. I often find that in pitching the beats and explaining them to fresh pair of ears, several scenes can drop. Some sh!t I improvise rears its head as a new (and necessary) add.

Then I write down a stripped down essence of each lead character's journey. (and theme if I have it)

I throw away the outline and write with just the character stuff. Usually don't reference the outline on the first draft.

Comment

Originally posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post
                    I usually outline very detailed, beginning to end.

Then I strip it down to one or two sentance beats. Often, I'll pitch that outloud to someone. I often find that in pitching the beats and explaining them to fresh pair of ears, several scenes can drop. Some sh!t I improvise rears its head as a new (and necessary) add.

Then I write down a stripped down essence of each lead character's journey. (and theme if I have it)

I throw away the outline and write with just the character stuff. Usually don't reference the outline on the first draft.
                    Bdz if you could send me that on an FD text document. Maybe include a macro. I would be highly appreciative.

Just to add I like that outlining process...

And things seem funnier at 1:45 am after freebasing 409 cleaning spray and Gold Bond foot powder.
                    Last edited by Ire; 06-22-2012, 05:31 PM. Reason: for shits and giggles
                    #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

Working...
                    X