Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mass Email Query

I've had some luck finding a literary agent using the opposite of the mass email approach. I study successful writers and projects then work backward to find the agency that was involved in their success. I focus on artists and projects that are similar to mine. Once I pick out an agency, I study the individual agents and staff to see what they like and don't like. Once I have a specific agent picked out, I tailor a query specific to that person addressed directly to them. I only send out a couple of queries a week but I they are being sent to high quality agents.

Comment

Originally posted by Novelist View Post
      I've had some luck finding a literary agent using the opposite of the mass email approach. I study successful writers and projects then work backward to find the agency that was involved in their success. I focus on artists and projects that are similar to mine. Once I pick out an agency, I study the individual agents and staff to see what they like and don't like. Once I have a specific agent picked out, I tailor a query specific to that person addressed directly to them. I only send out a couple of queries a week but I they are being sent to high quality agents.
      Does the same apply to screenplays?
      Captain Spirk
      http://www.joongcho.com/
      http://www.startreklibrary.com/

Comment

Originally posted by CaptSpirk View Post
        Does the same apply to screenplays?
        Most of the agencies I approach are very clear about what they do and do not accept. They will say that they do or do not accept screenplays.

I'm selling novels looking for the movie deal down the line. But whether I'm selling poetry, romance or screenplays, part of the trick is finding an agent that handles that particular type of material. Some agencies state up front that they don't handle poetry, romance, screenplays, etc. Other agents specialize in them.

It has been said that it is a matter of getting the right material to the right agent on the right day. I try to make sure that I at least have the right agent.

Comment

Originally posted by juunit View Post
          Declaring your own work equal to the best of the best when nobody knows who you are will only get you laughed at, whether you call your script Tarantino-esque, Kafka-esque or Dickensian. It's just not a good idea.
          What if it's both Kafka-esque and Dickensian? Like it's about starving orphans who wake up as cockroaches one day?

Comment

Originally posted by juunit View Post
            No.

Addressing a letter to someone as "Dear Agent/Manager/Producer/Whoever" is not going to get you anywhere. If you can't even be bothered to take the time to replace the name for each e-mail you send out, nobody is going to be bothered to read it. A lot of people will even tell you that each individual letter should have some personal details about the person you're sending it to.

Addressing e-mails to nonexistent people is also bad. I once had an e-mail thread go six or seven e-mails deep with a guy who continually addressed me as "Jeff" despite my name not being Jeff and there being nobody at the entire company named Jeff. It was good for a laugh though.

I'd also have to say, querying Quentin Tarantino's agent because you have the perfect script for him will get you nowhere and is only a waste of your time. I mean, it's good that you're aiming high and all, but you also need to be realistic. Declaring your own work equal to the best of the best when nobody knows who you are will only get you laughed at, whether you call your script Tarantino-esque, Kafka-esque or Dickensian. It's just not a good idea.
            This.

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
              I individually addressed each email, but stuck only to information about the spec and did not personalize the content other than the "to," or say anything about myself personally.

I guess querying results can be low, but the truth is you're looking for that ONE person who will have the same passion about your work that you do. I've done it [querying] this way a couple of times now, and each time I've gotten reads from the big players, medium and boutiques, so, it's clear it was the material that was the problem, not necessarily the concept.

I'm hopeful that I won't have to revisit querying like that again, but if the circumstances require it, I will. It doesn't really take all that long--

To me, it's about knowing that you've done everything in your power to get your material out there and visible, and once it's sent, I move on and do not dwell on what I cannot control.

Best of luck.
              I don't have much to add to this, just wanted to say I totally agree. I don't have a ton of experience with querying (I'm gearing up to query some new projects - just getting out of the "research managers" phase), but what queries I've sent didn't take a lot of work. I researched managers with similar tastes to my story, created a template with my logline, accolades, whatever, and then swapped out the name/similar projects (i.e., the reason I thought they'd like my script) and hit send. I think that extra time spent on research to tailor your your to the manager/agent's taste definitely improves your hit rate.
              http://cgusmannletters.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
              X