Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have any show recommendations?

It's impossible to keep track of every show on TV. There always seems to be a show that a friend or family member brings up that wasn't really on my radar. Just too busy.

Is there an intriguing show that you think is worth checking out? Any you see coming up that looks promising. I am excited about that Killing on Carnival Row. I really liked the script when I read it and thought how are studios going to take a chance on this. Even those shows that are canceled are pretty interesting and I only discover them after the fact on streaming. I am like "That was a show? When did that come out?"

Re: Do you have any show recommendations?

I'm currently obsessed with Succession.

Also just saw the first episode of On Becoming a God in South Florida and enjoyed it.

What shows do you like? Would help to recommend some.

Comment

Originally posted by Hernan Giaggio View Post
      I'm currently obsessed with Succession.

Also just saw the first episode of On Becoming a God in South Florida and enjoyed it.

What shows do you like? Would help to recommend some.

I heard good things about Succession...that it's characters walk the line of being pretty unlikable, yet interesting.

I was surprised to like the show You. I think it was originally on a channel that I don't normally watch but I noticed it when it was streaming and people kept mentioning it. The shows Great News and LA to Vegas were surprisingly funny...especially LA to Vegas. Sitcoms normally aren't my cup of tea anymore, but those 2 are good. I am sure I like more...just not remembering everything since there is so much on tv. I used to could keep track. Now, I have to binge watch just to keep up.

Comment

I never watched Friends when it was on. Now I'm towards the end of season one. It's funny! I see why it went 10 years! If you haven't seen it, it's worth it. But I think I'm like the only person who is not Amish (or other religions where they don't watch TV) that missed it.

Comment

TV is my life. So I could list 1000 shows.

So maybe Friday give us some idea of the shows you actual love and took time to see so I can curate a better TV set list for you.

Otherwise I'll just list favorites like CHEERS and MARRIED WITH CHILDREN and 24 and LOST and...

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
            TV is my life. So I could list 1000 shows.

So maybe Friday give us some idea of the shows you actual love and took time to see so I can curate a better TV set list for you.

Otherwise I'll just list favorites like CHEERS and MARRIED WITH CHILDREN and 24 and LOST and...

I am looking for shows that are good or interesting that I might not have noticed due to there being so much noise. There must be thousands of shows. Everyone's heard of Game of Thrones or Mad Men. But, there are a lot of good shows on the networks, Netflix, Hulu and Amazon that might be overlooked. I keep an open mind as to genres or even plot lines because after all I am there to soak up knowledge and also enjoy myself. People always ask me if I saw a certain show and I'm surprised I never heard of it---outside of the popular shows, some shows just go under the radar. I'd throw in limited series and tv movies.

Seinfeld's my favorite comedy. Quantum Leap is one of my favorite shows. I binge watched House of Cards...pretty good for the first few seasons...haven't seen the final season. 13 Reasons Why was great for the first season...haven't checked out the rest because I wasn't sure where the storyline could possibly go. Only saw the first two episodes of God Friended Me, but I really enjoyed that one. In the Dark is such a good show...so well written. I usually like all the CW shows. I secretly watch Bachelor in Paradise.

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
              I am looking for shows that are good or interesting that I might not have noticed due to there being so much noise. There must be thousands of shows. Everyone's heard of Game of Thrones or Mad Men. But, there are a lot of good shows on the networks, Netflix, Hulu and Amazon that might be overlooked. I keep an open mind as to genres or even plot lines because after all I am there to soak up knowledge and also enjoy myself. People always ask me if I saw a certain show and I'm surprised I never heard of it---outside of the popular shows, some shows just go under the radar. I'd throw in limited series and tv movies.

Seinfeld's my favorite comedy. Quantum Leap is one of my favorite shows. I binge watched House of Cards...pretty good for the first few seasons...haven't seen the final season. 13 Reasons Why was great for the first season...haven't checked out the rest because I wasn't sure where the storyline could possibly go. Only saw the first two episodes of God Friended Me, but I really enjoyed that one. In the Dark is such a good show...so well written. I usually like all the CW shows. I secretly watch Bachelor in Paradise.
              Have you seen the TV show of Get Shorty? Not the 1995 movie, but the recent TV series? It's on EPIX. I have a soft spot for Chris O'Dowd, who has the lead role. And Ray Romano as a shifty producer is cast perfectly. But the the person who steals the first season is an actress named Lidia Porto. She plays the villainess, the mob boss. Oh, it's so hard to explain. It'll sound stupid if I type it out. Just find it and watch. I watched the first season three times last year.

And if you never caught the two seasons of Party Down from Starz 2009-2010, go find that. If you like Seinfeld, you'd like Party Down. Maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by lostfootage View Post
                Have you seen the TV show of Get Shorty? Not the 1995 movie, but the recent TV series? It's on EPIX. I have a soft spot for Chris O'Dowd, who has the lead role. And Ray Romano as a shifty producer is cast perfectly. But the the person who steals the first season is an actress named Lidia Porto. She plays the villainess, the mob boss. Oh, it's so hard to explain. It'll sound stupid if I type it out. Just find it and watch. I watched the first season three times last year.

And if you never caught the two seasons of Party Down from Starz 2009-2010, go find that. If you like Seinfeld, you'd like Party Down. Maybe.

I never even heard of Party Down! That's how many gazillion shows there are out.

I vaguely remember seeing a billboard about Get Shorty and wanting to see it because I love the movie so much. Plus, I tend to like stuff about Hollywood or movie making. I haven't gotten to it because it wasn't high on my priority list, but since you say it's good, I might bump it up.

Comment

Mindhunter, Mindhunter, Mindhunter.

Trust me on this.

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post

Trust me on this.

Ok. I'll check that out. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
                      I never even heard of Party Down! That's how many gazillion shows there are out.

I vaguely remember seeing a billboard about Get Shorty and wanting to see it because I love the movie so much. Plus, I tend to like stuff about Hollywood or movie making. I haven't gotten to it because it wasn't high on my priority list, but since you say it's good, I might bump it up.
                      What was so fun about it was the mobsters not only sell a screenplay to Hollywood, they start filming their movie. So through the second half of the season you go through casting and the first days of production which are HYSTERICAL. They decide to film a movie set in England in Pahrump, Nevada. They have this massive set, and it looks pretty real -- until they get wind/dust storms. I can't explain how funny it is. Just watch the trailer, it will tell you if this a show you're going to love, or not.

Here's the trailer for Season 2 (it doesn't give anything away). In the list on the side is the trailer for Season 1. It really was my favorite show of the last year, followed closely by Russian Doll on Netflix.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5761496...er/vi220707609

And Party Down has become a cult hit. The first season has Jane Lynch, Adam Scott and Martin Starr right before they got Glee, Parks and Rec, and Silicon Valley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT2DOz2McW8

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post

Trust me on this.
                        Seconded
                        I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Imagine a world before internet, before a lot of cable channels. Back in the day when the three networks were television... there came a show that launched with little fanfare, but as people heard about it, they started tuning in by episode 5 or 6. The network (very wisely) re-broadcast the first episodes so the growing audience could see it from the start. Before chat rooms and smart phones, someone actually verbally told me I HAD to see it!

TWIN PEAKS 90-91

Today it does not seem so quirky and bizarre, but at the time it came onto TV screens around 1990 nothing like it had really ever been seen. Unlike the standard formula of that era of solving a case in every episode, the murder in Twin Peaks took two seasons to be unraveled. Something happened to Laura Palmer and we watched devotedly every week until we discovered what the heck happened.

Comment

Originally posted by RogerOThornhill View Post
                            Imagine a world before internet, before a lot of cable channels. Back in the day when the three networks were television... there came a show that launched with little fanfare, but as people heard about it, they started tuning in by episode 5 or 6. The network (very wisely) re-broadcast the first episodes so the growing audience could see it from the start. Before chat rooms and smart phones, someone actually verbally told me I HAD to see it!

TWIN PEAKS 90-91

Today it does not seem so quirky and bizarre, but at the time it came onto TV screens around 1990 nothing like it had really ever been seen. Unlike the standard formula of that era of solving a case in every episode, the murder in Twin Peaks took two seasons to be unraveled. Something happened to Laura Palmer and we watched devotedly every week until we discovered what the heck happened.

I'm obsessed with Twin Peaks (the original version). But, I only discovered it on dvd, after the fact. Boy was I shocked how good it was. Surprised that it was on network TV. It's the kind of show you wish was on TV more. Very intriguing show...and that theme song, wow.

Comment

So I guess my next show is Mindhunter.

Comment

Working...
                              X