No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meridian Artists

Hello all,

Meridian Artists manager Conrad Sun has started accepting pitches via Stage 32.

I looked them up online but couldn't find much. Does the collective wisdom of Done Deal have any further info?
    "The intrepid Spaceman Spiff is stranded on a distant planet! Our hero ruefully acknowledges this happens fairly frequently." Calvin & Hobbs

Re: Meridian Artists

http://www.meridianartists.com/submissions/submissions

It's a bit confusing because website says only interested in writers from Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by ClintW3 View Post
      http://www.meridianartists.com/submissions/submissions

It's a bit confusing because website says only interested in writers from Canada.
      Seem to be mainly introducing Canadian writers to US film industry, but not vice-versa.

Comment

Originally posted by BurOak View Post
        Seem to be mainly introducing Canadian writers to US film industry, but not vice-versa.
        Well, that clears that up.

Thanks, everyone!
        "The intrepid Spaceman Spiff is stranded on a distant planet! Our hero ruefully acknowledges this happens fairly frequently." Calvin & Hobbs

Comment

I recently pitched to Conrad via the Stage 32 Happy Writers after watching him being interviewed by Rich Botto, Stage 32's CEO on his monthly webinar. Meridian does have clients in Canada and in the US and Conrad made it clear they are actively seeking material. You can view the interview here

https://www.stage32.com/media/1073340873183342003

My pitch session with Conrad was a success so far. He requested my script. Also a really, really nice guy.

Comment

Originally posted by skathleen View Post
            I recently pitched to Conrad via the Stage 32 Happy Writers after watching him being interviewed by Rich Botto, Stage 32's CEO on his monthly webinar. Meridian does have clients in Canada and in the US and Conrad made it clear they are actively seeking material. You can view the interview here

My pitch session with Conrad was a success so far. He requested my script. Also a really, really nice guy.
            Congrats! Although I have to ask: Why would you anyone shell out $45 to pitch them through Stage32 when they accept submissions through their web site and when the email address of at least one of their managers is available on IMDP Pro?

Comment

Sure. Nothing beats face to face access.

I secured my manager through the Stage 32 Happy Writers last year. I had queried this gentleman probably a half dozen times over 2 years with no response. My face to face with him was incredible. Instant bond. I had an in person lunch with him 5 days later. He signed me 2 weeks after that (and reading 3 other scripts). That couldn't and wouldn't have happened through email. Most query letters just get trashed and, of course, it's tough to get who you are across in an email.

Unfortunately, this manager recently had a tragedy that is causing him to leave the business, at least for a while. He is passing my work around to other reps when he has the time, but in the meantime, I am taking things into my own hands and pitching and contacting where possible.

I get that there is a group out there that doesn't agree in paying for pitching, but I've spoken to too many industry people who say they never read query letters. And if they do read it, you're just text in a sea of more text. Plus, I want to control what I can - my personality, my pitch, my responses to questions (which you also don't get with a query letter).

The other part of this equation is Joey who runs the Happy Writers for Stage 32. He takes the time to review your work and fit you with the manager (or producer if you are going that route) who he believes would be interested in your material. That kind of hand holding and face to face access, feedback and follow up to me, is worth every penny.

Hope this helps. I'd be more than happy to answer any other questions.

Comment

Canadian Content Laws now make it much more difficult for a US citizen to sell a script into Canada than vice versa.

Comment

Sure. Nothing beats face to face access.

I secured my manager through the Stage 32 Happy Writers last year. I had queried this gentleman probably a half dozen times over 2 years with no response. My face to face with him was incredible. Instant bond. I had an in person lunch with him 5 days later. He signed me 2 weeks after that (and reading 3 other scripts). That couldn't and wouldn't have happened through email. Most query letters just get trashed and, of course, it's tough to get who you are across in an email.

Unfortunately, this manager recently had a tragedy that is causing him to leave the business, at least for a while. He is passing my work around to other reps when he has the time, but in the meantime, I am taking things into my own hands and pitching and contacting where possible.

I get that there is a group out there that doesn't agree in paying for pitching, but I've spoken to too many industry people who say they never read query letters. And if they do read it, you're just text in a sea of more text. Plus, I want to control what I can - my personality, my pitch, my responses to questions (which you also don't get with a query letter).

The other part of this equation is Joey who runs the Happy Writers for Stage 32. He takes the time to review your work and fit you with the manager (or producer if you are going that route) who he believes would be interested in your material. That kind of hand holding and face to face access, feedback and follow up to me, is worth every penny.

Hope this helps. I'd be more than happy to answer any other questions.
                  Thanks, Skathleen! Yeah you make good points about being face to face and being able to answer questions. I've used the Stage32 written pitch service before and have had success with it (in terms of getting scripts requested, and a few of those led to meetings) but after a while I just decided to start querying these people on my own because nine times out of 10 you can find their contact info. online, and most of the time, if it's a decent query/concept, they do respond. I guess I'm kind of on the fence about the proliferation of pay-to-query services. The monetization of the query process, while probably inevitable, seems ethically (?) questionable, but it's the way things are going. Appreciate your response.

Comment

Working...
                  X