Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fade In problem

Weird. I went to create a pdf of my Fade In script and I keep getting the message: "Adobe Acrobat could not open (my file) because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged".

I just did a pdf a few hours before and it worked fine.

Tried changing the file names but no go.

Anyone out there know anything?

Tom
    PuppyTummy.com

Re: Fade In problem

I'd always restart a computer as it could be an issue unrelated to Fade In itself...

Also if you have a MAC you can make PDF just by hitting Print -- Save As PDF so maybe that is a work around for now..

Comment

Matt,

You are my new IT guy. I restarted and it works fine!

Mucho thanks,
      Tom
      PuppyTummy.com

Comment

Tom,

Sorry to come in late here. I am glad that the reboot solved your problem.

That was a weird thing, yes.

I am wondering whether the previous PDF file (which you created) was the cause of this.

I have sent a report of this to Kent Tessman, the creator of Fade In.

By the way, a reboot often solves problems in Windows (if that is what you are using). Naturally, I cannot think of any examples, but I encounter things in many programs that are solved with a reboot (to my great relief).

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Four engineers get into a car. It won't start
          The Mechanical engineer says: "Maybe it's a broken starter."
          The Electrical engineer says: "I think the battery's dead."
          The Chemical engineer says: "It's obviously a problem with the fuel system."
          The IT engineer says: "Let's try getting out of the car and back in again."

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell McLean View Post
            Four engineers get into a car. It won't start
            The Mechanical engineer says: "Maybe it's a broken starter."
            The Electrical engineer says: "I think the battery's dead."
            The Chemical engineer says: "It's obviously a problem with the fuel system."
            The IT engineer says: "Let's try getting out of the car and back in again."
            Hah, hah! So true.

I sent a report to Kent about this. He answered back that he wanted to know if it happened again, so that he could investigate further.

So post any problems here.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Back again and not even a reboot can cure it.

Yikes.
              PuppyTummy.com

Comment

Originally posted by iknownuffin View Post

Yikes.
                -- make PDF another way like using MAC Print make PDF option
                -- Save file to something else like final draft or txt and then try to make PDF from that.... maybe?
                -- reinstall software Adobe first.... see what that does... and then Fade In (I assume you have the download)
                -- can you make PDF in other programs fine?
                -- Maybe have to reinstall your OS -- what type of computer are you using and OS currently?

My guess is it's Adobe itself program. Just yesterday it got stuck as it was updating in the background...

Try some stuff.

Maybe duplicate your FADE IN script itself and try to make PDF from new file...

It could be anything and it's usually very very stupid.

It could even be user error. Maybe one little box is checked and it shouldn't be type of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by iknownuffin View Post

Yikes.
                  Before you do anything else, uninstall and reinstall the current version of Fade In.

Or, if you keep the previous versions, uninstall your current version, install the previous version, then update to the current version.

If you can help it, perhaps you ought not do all this on a wireless connection; use an ethernet cable. Or, if you must work with a WiFi connection, make sure you have a great signal.

Your issue happened to me once (years ago, so I don’t recall the fix) and it wasn’t the screenwriting program that caused it. Personally, I don’t believe Fade In is the cause of your PDF problem.
                  Last edited by Clint Hill; 07-09-2020, 08:15 PM.
                  “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

I have sent iknownuffin a PM about this.

Unfortunately, I did not check the board over the weekend (a dozen lashes!).

I will report back here when we get this solved.

Comment

It's working again now. Don't ask me why.

Speaking of engineers:
                      A priest, a doctor, and an engineer were waiting one morning for a particularly slow group of golfers. The engineer fumed, "What's with those guys? We must have been waiting for fifteen minutes!"

The doctor chimed in, "I don't know, but I've never seen such inept golf!"

The priest said, "Here comes the greens-keeper. Let's have a word with him."
                      He said, "Hello George, what's wrong with that group ahead of us? They're rather slow, aren't they?"

The greens-keeper replied, "Oh, yes. That's a group of blind firemen. They lost their sight saving our clubhouse from a fire last year, so we always let them play for free anytime."

The group fell silent for a moment.

The priest said, "That's so sad. I think I will say a special prayer for them tonight."

The doctor said, "Good idea. I'm going to contact my ophthalmologist colleague and see if there's anything he can do for them."

The engineer said, "Why can't they play at night?"
                      PuppyTummy.com

Comment

Working...
                      X