Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How Do You Do Funny?

I've been fasinated by THE HAPPENING since I saw it in the theater. I was so excited. I still love M. KNIGHT.

I think... think... because everyone is pretty bad in that movie... that it's supposed to be a bad B horror movie like they had in the 1970s.

Or like a really badly acted Twilight Zone.

Marky Mark is good in many things, but he's not a great actor. He's a movie star. Even so -- I honeslty don't think he can act that bad on purpose w/o beng told to do so.

I don't think he was doing a Bruce Willis in Die Hard 5 or Cop Out where you can feel it.

Comment

You may be right. It may be somewhat brilliant acting, because the constantly furrowed brow and awkward line deliveries are basically what make it watchable.

Comment

Originally posted by Prezzy View Post
        Wahlberg's intentionally terrible acting in The Happening to spite that stupid script is still probably the most hilarious thing he's ever done in my mind.
        The Crappening.
        Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
        "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

CLOSE ON Mark's flaring nostrils as he emotes confusion.

Comment

.... But I like Ryan Gosling...
            Ryan is just a figure that represents the robot or android -- he's interchangeable anyone -- you can hate Chris Evans or Jake Gyllenhaal or Leonardo DiCaprio

I'll write a scene where Leo is raped by a bear, become pregnant, and has an Indian son.

write a movie about Chris on a train that never stops and he can't speak to anyone, because none of them speak English

we can make Ryan a detective, but none of the clues help, because there's nothing to solve and he wanders from scene to scene for 6 hours, it'll feel like you wrote it when you were high and had no idea how to end the movie, and maybe you are high right now and think how can I write a movie that's six-fvcking-hours, that's like three-hundred and sixty pages, but it's easy when nothing makes sense and the movie just keeps going from one scene the next with no importance, who would care about anything if they were high all the time, it would be scene after scene that doesn't affect any of characters, no one is in danger, they are just high and trying to solve a mystery, but maybe Ryan is the mystery and he's too high to know he's the mystery and investigating himself, but why is investigating this then thinks, maybe Harrison is my father and I'm not some bastard, but that would mean that Harrison has sex with the Robot and that's fvcking sick, like who does that, who has sex with a robot, Ryan father?
            Ricky Slade: Listen to me, I intentionally make this gun look that way because I am smart.

Comment

Wahlberg's intentionally terrible acting in The Happening to spite that stupid script is still probably the most hilarious thing he's ever done in my mind.
              you're confusing 'American humor' and 'British humor'... we make these movies, we know are bad and hype them up, just to see if the brits can actually tell what's funny... we 'humor' them and tell them nice try when they make movies, but really it's a trash fire... we've been doing this the last 10 years with the Oscars, we try and get some pointless diatribe of nothingness to win so we can see the if foreign markets actually believe that it's good... then we laugh... that's how 'Americans' do the funny

[don't tell anyone, it's a secret]
              Ricky Slade: Listen to me, I intentionally make this gun look that way because I am smart.

Comment

If you're writing jokes just to make yourself laugh, then you're doing it wrong. I see this all the time in real life and online forums for sure. Twitter everyone thinks they are funny and just thought of that unique original joke even though it's obvious, etc.

So try to consider that your goal is to make others laugh not just get a one liner in that makes you giggle.

Sounds obvious right? But it's not to many.

If you see a bad stand up comdian often it's because they are telling jokes that are picking on others and saying that the are perfect and others are stupid. But the best jokes are the ones that bring us all together and we laugh because it's more "yeah, I can relate to that emotion and feelling too."

I love Steven Wright. He told deadpan jokes but they were always relatable and sometimes weird as hell. But he'd go "You know that feeling where you almost fall off your chair, but you catch yourself?" (waits for long beat) "I feel like that all the time." To me that's one of the most human emotions you can feel and it's perfect.

And of course George Carlin was the master. It was all about being human. And if he picked on people, which he did, it was the people that deserved it. But he did it to prove a point, not just to be a mean dick. He was the king of "why is **** this way, that's stupid, let me tell you about it."

For scripts, just make sure the jokes aren't all just poeple getting hit in the nuts -- althougth that's fun for bad guys --but about the crazyness of just being alive.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                  If you see a bad stand up comedian often it's because they are telling jokes that are picking on others and saying that they are perfect and others are stupid. But the best jokes are the ones that bring us all together and we laugh because it's more "yeah, I can relate to that emotion and feeling too."
                  I think you're talking about observational humor, that's what most standup comedians perform with. Behind any great laugh is the vulnerability of the person telling the joke and insight into who they are... the more honest they are, the greater an emotional impact the comedian can have.

Drama is similar and in screenplays, we'll mix both light-hearted drama and comedy situations to promote bigger laughs and an emotional redemption arc... it is all there to get you through the third act push.

as written above -- British humor is more abrasive and accusatory, which has to do with sensibility... Woody Allen must have grown up with brits humor, maybe through theatre or radio shows... this sardonic, objectivism -- depictions of social life and it's rituals -- this creates empathy as does vulnerability... and we laugh at ourselves from a safe space

create an empathetic character with a redemption arc

Comment

Working...
                  X