Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offering Encouragement...

I'm sure I'm no different than anyone else when I say there are times when self-doubt takes a toll on our happy-go-lucky pursuit of writing a screenplay that will sell and find its way to the big screen.

I want to say, if you have it, don't give up. Don't let self-doubt destroy your momentum, your drive or your resolve. It can be extremely discouraging, I feel you.

You get a rejection letter from a person you sent a query to MONTHS ago and shake your head thinking, why did you send this to your legal department to send me an email that you don't accept unsolicited material? Like, seriously dude, just ignore the email all together. It's not necessary to add insult to injury, you know?

You get mixed responses on your spec and you're like-- what to implement and what not to? Sometimes it's a producer's note that just doesn't work. Then you go back and undo that ****. You don't want to make a mistake and choose a worse path.

And every once in a while you get a download on The Black List and you're so numb to it, you don't eve give it a second thought.

Sometimes it can seem that there's a lot of discouragement out there. A lot of negativity and not enough support. I have been fortunate to have some really great writer friends on this board. I am also in an amazing writer's group and I don't know where I'd be without them. All of these writers are amazing and facing the same fight to break in that I am-- it's good company to be in. Something to consider, perhaps, if you do not yet have a network.

And just when you think this really sucks, you get an email in your inbox from a legit production company that downloaded your new script off The Black List and really enjoyed it and would like to chat with you about it.

And THAT makes up for all the **** you drag your sorry ass through.

I have voiced concerns and disappointments about The Black List hosting site for years. I have also used them and continue to use them every year, because I know the industry uses them.

Every script I've placed on The Black List has received interest from legitimate industry people. I've been fortunate enough to receive two option offers on two different scripts because I hosted them on TBL, and unfortunate enough to have them fall part.

Trust me, you think it's discouraging when a rep declines your script before you have one, just wait until you spend a month negotiating a contract to finally have it disappear as if it were never there. It's an entirely new challenge. But these things happen in steps, so you'll be prepared for that rejection, because by this time you're used to it.

This is the fifth or sixth time The Black List has come through by connecting me with someone in the industry, so it would be disingenuous for me NOT to be grateful, even if it's not really as writer friendly as I'd like.

Nothing may come of this new contact. I accept that-- it's part of the deal. But just knowing that someone who is making **** happen, responds to your writing is sometimes all you need to keep going.

So, I said all that to say this...

Keep digging in and finding depth and truth in your stories. Let go of the negative comments and rejections and savor the compliments when someone loves what you do.

No one will love everything you do. Someone will love some of what you do. When you're feeling down and out, know that we all are with you just as we will all be with you when something good comes your way.

Good luck and keep writing.
    FA4
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Re: Offering Encouragement...

Thanks for posting this. Really needed it today.

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
      I'm sure I'm no different than anyone else when I say there are times when self-doubt takes a toll on our happy-go-lucky pursuit of writing a screenplay that will sell and find its way to the big screen.

I want to say, if you have it, don't give up. Don't let self-doubt destroy your momentum, your drive or your resolve. It can be extremely discouraging, I feel you.

You get a rejection letter from a person you sent a query to MONTHS ago and shake your head thinking, why did you send this to your legal department to send me an email that you don't accept unsolicited material? Like, seriously dude, just ignore the email all together. It's not necessary to add insult to injury, you know?

You get mixed responses on your spec and you're like-- what to implement and what not to? Sometimes it's a producer's note that just doesn't work. Then you go back and undo that ****. You don't want to make a mistake and choose a worse path.

And every once in a while you get a download on The Black List and you're so numb to it, you don't eve give it a second thought.

Sometimes it can seem that there's a lot of discouragement out there. A lot of negativity and not enough support. I have been fortunate to have some really great writer friends on this board. I am also in an amazing writer's group and I don't know where I'd be without them. All of these writers are amazing and facing the same fight to break in that I am-- it's good company to be in. Something to consider, perhaps, if you do not yet have a network.

And just when you think this really sucks, you get an email in your inbox from a legit production company that downloaded your new script off The Black List and really enjoyed it and would like to chat with you about it.

And THAT makes up for all the **** you drag your sorry ass through.

I have voiced concerns and disappointments about The Black List hosting site for years. I have also used them and continue to use them every year, because I know the industry uses them.

Every script I've placed on The Black List has received interest from legitimate industry people. I've been fortunate enough to receive two option offers on two different scripts because I hosted them on TBL, and unfortunate enough to have them fall part.

Trust me, you think it's discouraging when a rep declines your script before you have one, just wait until you spend a month negotiating a contract to finally have it disappear as if it were never there. It's an entirely new challenge. But these things happen in steps, so you'll be prepared for that rejection, because by this time you're used to it.

This is the fifth or sixth time The Black List has come through by connecting me with someone in the industry, so it would be disingenuous for me NOT to be grateful, even if it's not really as writer friendly as I'd like.

Nothing may come of this new contact. I accept that-- it's part of the deal. But just knowing that someone who is making **** happen, responds to your writing is sometimes all you need to keep going.

So, I said all that to say this...

Keep digging in and finding depth and truth in your stories. Let go of the negative comments and rejections and savor the compliments when someone loves what you do.

No one will love everything you do. Someone will love some of what you do. When you're feeling down and out, know that we all are with you just as we will all be with you when something good comes your way.

Good luck and keep writing.
      FA4

Thanks for the post. Yeah, many times you can feel really bummed when things don't go your way. Like maybe, you initially do much better in some major contests than you expected, but then it doesn't immediately become happily ever after. Or it gives you a sense of confidence, thinking everything you write afterward will do as well. Part of it, is a lot of it is waiting around--for results, for the next contest. I don't know about you, but sometimes bad news can really ruin your week. And you have to wait and wait... to get that next win.

Comment

Hey, good for you, and good luck!

Comment

I always come back here for encouragement and today this post was it.

Two weeks ago I finished a screenplay and so I started sending out queries. I got about a 25% request rate. I've queried Circle of Confusion countless times over the years and for the first time, they requested to read. It'll be weeks before I hear something so I'm not even thinking about it. So far I've received one pass.

I consider myself a strong person but a few days ago I actually broke down and cried on my daughter's shoulder. It's been a long ass journey.

Yesterday at lunch I was so pissed about the state of the country that I took a break from Twitter. I put my phone aside and didn't pick it back up until after I finished work.

And there it was, an email chain that I had been included in with an Oscar winning actress and her production company, with the manager that I cold queried telling her that she must read my script.

Looking at the time stamp of my initial query, it was the last one I sent before the breakdown.

She's reading it this week and I'm trying not to think about it.

Yup a crazy ass journey but we keep going.

Thanks for this.

P.S. the manager sent me a second email telling me to contact the actress' office. I called and left a vm yesterday. I'm not sure if I should just wait for a return call...?

Comment

Originally posted by Anointed View Post

Two weeks ago I finished a screenplay and so I started sending out queries. I got about a 25% request rate. I've queried Circle of Confusion countless times over the years and for the first time, they requested to read. It'll be weeks before I hear something so I'm not even thinking about it. So far I've received one pass.

I consider myself a strong person but a few days ago I actually broke down and cried on my daughter's shoulder. It's been a long ass journey.

Yesterday at lunch I was so pissed about the state of the country that I took a break from Twitter. I put my phone aside and didn't pick it back up until after I finished work.

And there it was, an email chain that I had been included in with an Oscar winning actress and her production company, with the manager that I cold queried telling her that she must read my script.

Looking at the time stamp of my initial query, it was the last one I sent before the breakdown.

Thanks for this.

P.S. the manager sent me a second email telling me to contact the actress' office. I called and left a vm yesterday. I'm not sure if I should just wait for a return call...?
            Congratulations! You've already accomplished more than 99.9% of aspiring screenwriters. No matter the outcome, this is a validation of your skill and the time you've put into working on your craft. Best of luck!

Comment

Congrats and a 25% request rate is insane!! Good lord. 5% is great.

Comment

Originally posted by Anointed View Post

Thanks for this.

DisorderControl, Friday, and Anointed, you're welcome. Glad it connected with you.

Thanks, Muckraker.

Anointed,
                what a great story and thank you so much for sharing it. Taking a break from Twitter, from time to time, is definitely worth it. Sometimes the arguments and back and forth negativity can be quite draining.

I'm glad you had your moment with your daughter, I imagine it had many rewards on its own. It's good to know you have people you can count on.

Congratulations on your interest in your screenplay. You've worked hard for it and deserve to enjoy this moment of pride in yourself and your work.

Good for you and much good fortune on the next leg of your journey. Keep us updated on your progress, because when you succeed, it reminds us why we all work so hard.

Congratulations!!
                FA4
                "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Working...
                X