Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > About the Craft > Writing for TV
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2019, 07:06 PM   #11
Bono

Default Re: I did it my wayyyyyyyy

Why is taking what you wrote, taking the best parts, adding subplots and TV show things, trimming it down to 55 pages of awesome not what you wanted to hear?

You found way that works for you. and that's cool. Use waht you learned about your world and characters, write a great pilot.

Nothing is lost.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:32 PM   #12
Southern_land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
Why is taking what you wrote, taking the best parts, adding subplots and TV show things, trimming it down to 55 pages of awesome not what you wanted to hear?

You found way that works for you. and that's cool. Use waht you learned about your world and characters, write a great pilot.

Nothing is lost.
Because I had a couple of very cool set piece scenes for later episodes that someone else might get to write - or worse, may never get written at all

Southern_land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:37 PM   #13
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern_land View Post
Because I had a couple of very cool set piece scenes for later episodes that someone else might get to write - or worse, may never get written at all
No worries, put it in the bible. *wink*
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:55 PM   #14
Bono

Quote:
You're taking this hard -- but i like the passion. You can always write it. No one can ever stop you from doing that.

Question, are you sure this is a TV show and not a feature?
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:24 AM   #15
finalact4

Quote:
anything really cool SHOULD be in your pilot.

your pilot should have all the specialness in it. don't hold back. you may never get to show them the rest of the series. get the good **** in there!

remember, the pilot can change. it should represent your vision. you're not being paid to write a pilot you pitched so anything and everything is game.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:43 AM   #16
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post

your pilot should have all the specialness in it. don't hold back. you may never get to show them the rest of the series. get the good **** in there!

remember, the pilot can change. it should represent your vision. you're not being paid to write a pilot you pitched so anything and everything is game.
Agreed.

Unless we're talking season 2 set pieces. Then put it in the bible.

But, if it's super friggin cool and you need to say it NOW for us to *care*. Maybe you're starting the pilot too late. Hard to know sight unseen.

People here will disagree with me on this: But my pilots run long. My shortest pilots didn't get traction. My longest ones did. By long, 67 pages. One sold, the other landed me a top 5 producer.

Go a little long if you absolutely MUST and it's compelling the entire time. I don't recommend it. 55 is the sweet spot, but if you gotta go a little long, fukk it. I believe the Sopranos pilot was 66 (?) pages, it would have suffered at 55 pages. Just be absolutely certain there's no fat nor feels bloated. At 67 it's gotta feel TIGHT/LEAN.

But be warned: at 67 pages you're being VERY arrogant and taking a big risk.
Old 08-20-2019, 05:28 PM   #17
Southern_land

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post

Ideally yeah and I guess that's the problem with a show that doesn't end out encapsulated stories each episode. You can't just stuff all the writery goodness in the pilot.

Lets face it some things in shows like Breaking Bad or Lost or GoTs happen at a certain place in the series because that's where it fits in the story. Might have been great to start series (whatever) of GoT with the red wedding to get all the viewers lined up for the new series but that's not where that belong in the story.

In something like Grimm, Lucifer and the like I guess you get to cram everything 'sparkly' and golden into the pilot if you can get away with it.

Might have to go with Mr GucciG's idea and add my standout scenes in the bible.

FYI
Cool scene 1 - surviving a "friendly" nuclear strike in a unique way - probably aiming at the second or third to last episode of S1

Cool scene 2 - The antagonist's step daughter is killed but there is a way to save her - cliff hanger final episode to set the stage for S2

Southern_land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:40 PM   #18
KitchonaSteve
Regular

Quote:
Lets face it some things in shows like Breaking Bad or Lost or GoTs happen at a certain place in the series because that's where it fits in the story. Might have been great to start series (whatever) of GoT with the red wedding to get all the viewers lined up for the new series but that's not where that belong in the story.
Breaking Bad and Lost did not have even the first season planned out when they shot the pilot. And I would suggest going back and watching the first episode of GOT. The audience, at least the audience that hadn't read the books, had no idea how densely packed that first episode was. Starting the series with the Red Wedding would not have had the impact on the audience that it did had we not been following the Starks and their travails.

-Steve Trautmann
3rd & Fairfax: The WGAW Podcast
KitchonaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:47 PM   #19
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Ideally yeah and I guess that's the problem with a show that doesn't end out encapsulated stories each episode. You can't just stuff all the writery goodness in the pilot.

In something like Grimm, Lucifer and the like I guess you get to cram everything 'sparkly' and golden into the pilot if you can get away with it.

Might have to go with Mr GucciG's idea and add my standout scenes in the bible.

FYI
Cool scene 1 - surviving a "friendly" nuclear strike in a unique way - probably aiming at the second or third to last episode of S1

Cool scene 2 - The antagonist's step daughter is killed but there is a way to save her - cliff hanger final episode to set the stage for S2
Ahh... I'm kinda getting where you're coming from. Yeah, sounds like it's too soon. I vote 'put it in the show bible.'

SHOW IT exactly how you want us to see it. Meaning: Hella photoshop to get us there visually. I'm a firm believer in 'make the bible look EXACTLY how the show looks (tone)', don't cut corners here.

With my bibles, if I can't find the perfect images to combine via photoshop, I'm gonna shoot it myself Guerrilla-style. Which is a blast. Then edit to taste (like adding rain to the image. Bright sunny day now looks dark, morbid and rainy. Exactly what I wanted).

Another example: A jet overhead. Original image had clear crisp blue skies. Not what I wanted. Photoshopped in a smoldering blood read sky at sunset. Looks rad. Have fun with it.

Good luck!
Old 08-20-2019, 05:50 PM   #20
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitchonaSteve View Post
Breaking Bad and Lost did not have even the first season planned out when they shot the pilot. And I would suggest going back and watching the first episode of GOT. The audience, at least the audience that hadn't read the books, had no idea how densely packed that first episode was. Starting the series with the Red Wedding would not have had the impact on the audience that it did had we not been following the Starks and their travails.

Btw - to add to that. We all know that they had to reshoot like 80% of the pilot on GOT, yeah?

And be sure to read the LOST bible (different times, as it wasn't a visual show bible, only words). But, fascinating how much they're like "No idea what happens here, sorry! We'll figure it out as we go." In spots they literally say something to that effect.